Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
296 user(s) are online (258 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

Rocky New motor break in
Guru Newb
Penn Valley, Ca.
4 Posts

[font=Comic Sans MS:8c8f0a7827] [/font:8c8f0a7827][color=blue:8c8f0a7827] [/color:8c8f0a7827]I am getting all info together now so I am ready to break in the cam, then seat the rings. I've read to run the engine at 2000 rpm for 20 minutes for the cam, then change oil and filter. I also have a new tranny, so my thought is to shift it thru all gears while warming engine to take out and seat the rings.
How does this sound? Am I missing anything?

TIA
Tom

84 almost done!
Posted on: 2007/2/10 17:46

bogus RE:New motor break in
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I think this has been answered over at CF.

The thread that links you to the motorcycle guy, that's who I agree with.

Break in is a rather nebulous term. The bearings are hydrostatic - they float on oil... no break in there.

The cam is a little of both, and that's why there might be a break in required, check the cam specs.

The key is setting the rings. Thanks to harder metals, it's much more sensative to break in. Your window of opportunity is limited. From what I remember on that link, the idea is to load the engine, which will increase combustion pressures and force the rings to spread and seat where they belong, not too high on the groove or what not.
Posted on: 2007/2/11 21:20
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

hulagan808 Re: New motor break in
Guru
hawaii, maui
58 Posts

A roller cam needs no break in and do not let idle for long, drive between casual and mildly hard in order to seat the rings. Aloha
Posted on: 2008/6/30 21:12

Notorious RE:New motor break in
Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
I think this has been answered over at CF.

The thread that links you to the motorcycle guy, that's who I agree with.

Break in is a rather nebulous term. The bearings are hydrostatic - they float on oil... no break in there.

The cam is a little of both, and that's why there might be a break in required, check the cam specs.

The key is setting the rings. Thanks to harder metals, it's much more sensative to break in. Your window of opportunity is limited. From what I remember on that link, the idea is to load the engine, which will increase combustion pressures and force the rings to spread and seat where they belong, not too high on the groove or what not.

Also back down the engine under load during break-in as this loads the rings in the other direction too. I usually do about 10 WOT bursts and let the engine brake the speed back down between each one. I've broken in many, many engines this way and have never had a problem seating rings.
Posted on: 2008/6/30 23:16

LD85 RE:New motor break in
Master Guru
Indianapolis, Indiana
784 Posts

Yep, all of the above,, accelerate hard to 5000rpm or so (expand the rings) then decell, then accelerate again to expand the rings, then decell,,,,do this 4-5 times or more, then change the oil.
Posted on: 2008/7/1 0:48

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.