Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
282 user(s) are online (221 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  1983
The year with no Corvette production. There is only one surviving 1983 Corvette. The one 1983 Corvette is in the National Corvette Museum, (NCM), in ...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

thaguv LT1 350 1996 Chevy
Guru Newb
13 Posts

Need some info here please. My vette was overheating and I changed the oil and water coolant and all that. One day it got really hot and I coasted into the gas station. I shut it off and the next day I got a tow truck to come get it. The next dat I turned it over with no problem at all. It seemed to be alot of back pressure coming back out of the radiator cap when I took it off, and alot of coolant coming out of the coolant resavoir tank in front of the engine. The I was told that it can't be fixed and that I need a new engine. Some white smoke came out a bit from the exaust then stopped and it didn't do it when I started it up again. So I really can't afford to have this child hood friend do this job. He told me it was going to cost a totall of about 8000.00 for it, some friend, mechanic huh. The motor does turn over so that would tell me that it's not siezed correct. Can anyone give me some input
Posted on: 2007/6/18 18:29
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Notorious RE:LT1 350 1996 Chevy
Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

At best it sounds as if you've blown a head gasket. The next step is to pull the heads and see what's wrong. Hopefully a gasket problem will be apparent. But even if it is, have the heads checked for cracks and for being warped. Also have any affected cylinders checked carefully. And of course, we'd assume at this point that the blown gasket is the result of the overheating and not the initial cause. So check the cooling system thoroughly. Sad to say but your friend ain't much of a mechanic if he's going to write off the entire engine before pulling the heads to learn the extent of the problem(s). I'd highly recommend finding someone else to do the work for you if you're unable to do it yourself.
Posted on: 2007/6/18 21:46

bogus RE:LT1 350 1996 Chevy
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I would start by removing all the plugs. check each for water.

a slight wisp tells me there isn't anything SERIOUS. Also, how did the oil look?

What is the condition of the cooling system?
Posted on: 2007/6/19 4:38

Notorious RE:LT1 350 1996 Chevy
Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Bogus is right, pull the plugs. Apparently you're getting coolant in (at least) one cylinder if you've seen white smoke on occasion. But at this point, it doesn't seem to have been enough to cause hydrostatic lock-up. If it had, you'd know it. But from the white smoke and the way you describe that it's pushing coolant out of the expansion tank and even the reservoir, it sounds like a forgone conclusion that compression is leaking past one or more of the fire rings in your head gasket(s) for whatever reason.
BTW, I got your PM and am answering it here. Good luck with this and feel free to let us know if we can be of any further help.
Posted on: 2007/6/20 22:54

bogus RE:LT1 350 1996 Chevy
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

yes, please, feel free to ask... but keep it in the thread. That way others can learn from your experiences!

I agree, check the plugs, but I suspect the gasket is failing, but not yet died. This is called "the perfect situation."

It sucks it has failed, yes, but it sucks more when coolant dumps into the crankcase. Ask me how I know.
Posted on: 2007/6/21 3:08

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.