Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
295 user(s) are online (239 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

CasetheCorvetteman Im thinking of getting another C4
Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

But i want the dirt cheapest one i can get so i can go over the whole thing and turn it back into a beast again.

What sort of prices do poor condition C4s needing lots of work go for over there these days?

Cant be later than Feb 89 build.
Cant be smashed really badly, although minor damage is ok, no bent chassis.
Nothing really needs to work, although the less the works, it needs to be reflected in the cost!!

If i decide to go ahead and do this ill be taking lots of pics along the way for the forum
Posted on: 2007/9/6 10:35
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

CasetheCorvetteman RE:Im thinking of getting another C4
Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Just found this: http://www.carpoint.com.au/used-car/C ... ueensland/csn1519397.aspx

Looks like a sh*t heap, but if i can get that for half the asking price i could turn it into something decent....
Posted on: 2007/9/6 12:23

bogus RE:Im thinking of getting another C4
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

you have room to make money on that car... it is a mess...

it's something we don't have the luxury to do here - make money on $2000 C4s. Tops, those cars are now worth $10k. Think about that for a moment.
Posted on: 2007/9/6 14:24

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

The thing is here though, the cost of RHD conversion is more than the asking price of that car (around $14,000 AUD for mirror conversion), so the selling price in good working order will always be a certain figure, average asking prices for earlier C4s over here is still around $25,000 to $35,000 and sometimes more even for a coupe. I can do almsot every bit of work myself, so there is little chance it would cost $20,000 to make it decent. Ill have to go and look and see what i can make of it all in the flesh, see what is missing and see what more needs to be done with the conversion.

Im interested though, i reckon i can do it if the base stock is good enough
Posted on: 2007/9/6 14:43

toptechx6 RE:Im thinking of getting another C4
Senior Guru
south Florida
362 Posts

I'd like to see you rescue the poor thing mate, bloody fart cans on the back! As Bogus said it would be impossible here even if you got it for 3K, I see 5K in paint, 2K minimum interior, another $1500 in tires and wheels even if you do all the mechanical work yourself you will still have additional outlay for parts. Have fun but don't get in over your head!
Posted on: 2007/9/6 20:43

j3studio Re: Im thinking of getting another C4
Elite Guru
Western Philadelphia Burbs
4247 Posts

Quote:
Cant be later than Feb 89 build.

That's the import regulations talking, right?
Posted on: 2007/9/6 23:43

bogus RE:Im thinking of getting another C4
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:
I'd like to see you rescue the poor thing mate, bloody fart cans on the back! As Bogus said it would be impossible here even if you got it for 3K, I see 5K in paint, 2K minimum interior, another $1500 in tires and wheels even if you do all the mechanical work yourself you will still have additional outlay for parts. Have fun but don't get in over your head!

yea, I agree with your math 100%, but down there in Oz, all bets are off.

He CAN make money on this... and if it takes a year, so be it.
Posted on: 2007/9/7 4:00

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Quote:

They are Super Traps mate!! I reckon ive seen this car before, ill know as soon as i look at it, but i reckon its one that a mate of mine brought into Australia about 6 years ago, it had the same Super Trap mufflers on it, same body kit, same fix up on the right front fender (if its the car, my mate did that bit of work) same colour interior, and some colour exterior....

Ive got a set of Sawblades here that i can throw on it, tires would be about $1,000 AUD, prep and paint me and my mate Joe (with the Harley) can do, he has painted many cars and his work is top notch, he will do it for the cost of the paint. Ive also got a fair few good C4 parts sitting around here and at other mate's places that came off my 87 and my 94 (including a complete perfect DANA 36), so ive got a few i can use.
Quote:
That's the import regulations talking, right?

It is indeed mate, after that the vehicles require a compliance plate to be fitted, and no one over here does them on later C4s anymore.
Quote:
yea, I agree with your math 100%, but down there in Oz, all bets are off.

He CAN make money on this... and if it takes a year, so be it.

It will take a while mate yeah, and if i can do everything myself i should come up ontop, and if i break even though, ill still enjoy doing it!!
Posted on: 2007/9/7 8:37

Senior Guru
south Florida
362 Posts

Not sure what a Super Trap muffler is Casey, must be an Aussie thing, no insult intended, looks like the ones the ricers use here. If you and Joe can do the paint work I think your chances are greatly improved, good luck with the project, hope you can buy it right.
Posted on: 2007/9/7 9:46

brut RE:Im thinking of getting another C4
Guru Emeritus
New Albany, IN
1308 Posts

Super Traps were really popular in the early 90's on pro-street machines. They are tunable by taking discs out or puttingthem in. I think they look cool, but I can see the "Rice" in them too.
Posted on: 2007/9/7 9:49

Senior Guru
south Florida
362 Posts

Thanks for the education Brut!
Posted on: 2007/9/7 11:37

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Yep, what he said!! They are pretty expensive to buy, but you can get almost any sound out of them you want ;)
Posted on: 2007/9/7 12:19

JDSWHITE93 RE:Im thinking of getting another C4
Senior Guru
Ohio
334 Posts

I would love to buy an 84 and drive it everyday, mildly modded of course.
Posted on: 2007/12/31 4:53

85-500-horse RE:Im thinking of getting another C4
Guru Newb
Venice, Florida
38 Posts

If the C4's in your neck of the woods are really that expensive, why don't you get with a buddy from the states and have him export C4's to you for dirt cheap, fix them up and sell them for a killing? Is there some import/customs things that precludes this?
Posted on: 2007/12/31 5:08

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Sounds good in theory, but the cost of conversion to RHD, which is required, is quite expensive. The cost to get it here is not that cheap either. Id certainly be doing that if i had the space to convert them to RHD here, which i dont, and i dont really have anywhere i can.
Posted on: 2007/12/31 7:56

CSS996 RE:Im thinking of getting another C4
Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

That was an older thread that was dug up.... So you are still considering another Vette? I thought you were thinking of getting a Mercedes? Anything happening on that front?
Posted on: 2008/1/1 17:26

pappyfreebird RE:Im thinking of getting another C4
Senior Guru
1028 Posts

where might a cat find those rear spoilers??? n are they a pain ta mount n fill gas around
Posted on: 2008/1/1 19:08

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.