Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
190 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Callaway
A builder of special edition Corvettes.

Very valuable, some exceed 6-figures.

Most notable is the B2K, 1987-1991....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

DUBIE torque
Guru Newb
NY
33 Posts

Everyone says the L-98 is a torque monster---We'll mine is anything but. It's responsive and peppy between 70-90 MPH but it takes a while to get there. It's low end torque is missing. Any ideas what would directly impact that? TPS? injectors? tranny???
Posted on: 2007/11/2 23:04
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus RE:torque
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

we need more info... Automatic? 4+3? rear end? if it's the stock 2.59, that really sucks away the fun.
Posted on: 2007/11/3 1:03

red_johnny RE:torque
On Sabbatical
Augusta, GA (85 383 stroker)
3213 Posts

Other than that how does the engine run at idle? With no load when you hit the gas is all well? I am with bogus, more info needed
Posted on: 2007/11/3 1:14

ITHZ RE:torque
Guru Newb
Carrollton,Ga
46 Posts

Now I've never driven a new Z06, but the 3.07 rear end can jump on an L98. Im betting 2.59,but more info is needed.
Posted on: 2007/11/3 3:59

toptechx6 RE:torque
Senior Guru
south Florida
362 Posts

Might be a good idea to check the ignition timing, if your car is automatic a bad torque converter could also make it sluggish at low speed, as previously mentioned 2.59 gears don't help.
Posted on: 2007/11/3 7:53

CasetheCorvetteman RE:torque
Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

TopTech that was my first thought when i read this too, but sh*t mate we are clutching at straws here with such limited info, i had an 87 for 6 years and 4 days and mate that bitch went like the clappers off the line. My LT1 on the other hand, nothing until about 3,000 or abit more, then you better be holding on cause if it hooks, youll fall out the back.... if it spins, and it usually does, well then the rice burner beside you knows your name is the lord.....
Posted on: 2007/11/3 13:25

Senior Guru
south Florida
362 Posts

Quote:
TopTech that was my first thought when i read this too, but sh*t mate we are clutching at straws here with such limited info, i had an 87 for 6 years and 4 days and mate that bitch went like the clappers off the line. My LT1 on the other hand, nothing until about 3,000 or abit more, then you better be holding on cause if it hooks, youll fall out the back.... if it spins, and it usually does, well then the rice burner beside you knows your name is the lord.....

Your posts and that Aussie lingo never fail to make me smile mate, thanks as always for brightening my day!
You are correct that we don't have a lot to go on here, just taking a stab given what we have to work with.
Posted on: 2007/11/3 20:52

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I hope Dubie does some research and gets back to us.
Posted on: 2007/11/3 22:11

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Quote:
Your posts and that Aussie lingo never fail to make me smile mate, thanks as always for brightening my day!
You are correct that we don't have a lot to go on here, just taking a stab given what we have to work with.

No worries mate
Posted on: 2007/11/4 1:07

red_johnny RE:torque
On Sabbatical
Augusta, GA (85 383 stroker)
3213 Posts

Dont look like he is coming back
Posted on: 2007/11/4 17:21

DUBIE Torque
Guru Newb
NY
33 Posts

Sorry Guys for not getting back sooner---I'm on a trip all over the carib. I have the automatic, not sure of the gearing----original exhaust manifolds back to the flow masters, mini cats still there large replaced. Tranny was worked on for having a spun bushing that blocked all lines with metal shavings. Has K&N air filter. new plugs, cap rotor year old. new EGR valve played with TPS and improved for a while. Thanks for the great response.
Posted on: 2007/11/6 2:54

DUBIE torque
Guru Newb
NY
33 Posts

More info---- starts great , idles great and revs great-no load---timing was checked--OK
Posted on: 2007/11/6 2:59

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

You can check the rear gear by crawling under and reading... there is a tag on there that has the ratio, but I am betting it's a 2.59:1. It's the most common with the automatic.

If there is a problem, I wonder what else was damaged when that bushing failed in the transmission.
Posted on: 2007/11/6 3:36

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

I dont know of any tag on the trans that states the ratio, neither of mine have that, i know its etched into the bottom of the housing though.
Posted on: 2007/11/6 7:07

Senior Guru
south Florida
362 Posts

If there is a problem, I wonder what else was damaged when that bushing failed in the transmission.[/quote]

You may be on to something Casey, any idea if the converter was replaced when they overhauled the transmission Dubie?
Posted on: 2007/11/6 8:49

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

That was Bogus said that mate!!

But all the same, i felt torque converter from the start to be a strong probability, just that you beat me to it with your post.

Answer us these ones DUBIE,

When you shift from either neutral or park into either a forward or reverse gear with the car stationary, do you hear or feel a clunk of any kind?

Do you feel as though the vehicle is difficult to stop at lower speeds and braking power is suddenly ALOT better if you knock it into neutral?

Will the car roll backwards when in a forward gear and facing UP a steep hill?

Do the revs go down if/when rolling against the dirrection of the selected gear?

Do the revs go down alot when you shift from a neutral gear into a forward or reverse gear?
Posted on: 2007/11/6 9:23

Senior Guru
south Florida
362 Posts

Oops, sorry about that Casey. The service manual describes a possible torque converter problem that duplicates what you are experiencing Dubie. If the one way stator clutch is freewheeling at all times it will cause poor acceleration from a stop but operation at highway speed will be normal.
Unfortunately short of removing the converter there is no simple test to determine if that is the issue, you will need to eliminate other likely causes.
Another possibility would be a transmission that starts out in second gear but I'll assume you can tell that all gears are functional?
Posted on: 2007/11/6 11:30

DUBIE torque
Guru Newb
NY
33 Posts

Case, I'll try those tests you recommend--but when cold there is an almost violent clunk/jolt when shifting from reverse to forward---braking is always a challenge but more worrysome at slow speeds. Tor/convert definitely was not changed and overall effort by mechanic to correct all was minimal. Thanks guys I think we are getting to the source of the problem.!!!!!
Posted on: 2007/11/6 12:14

DUBIE torque
Guru Newb
NY
33 Posts

Of all the tests the most noticeable is the better braking when in neutral gear. Big difference!!!! Also---during quick acceleration attempt the engine seems to knock- pre-ignition for the entire time--prem gas used. Any chance of Map, TPS, knock sensor problem????
Posted on: 2007/11/9 20:40

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Need to know the YEAR MODEL
Posted on: 2007/11/10 0:15

DUBIE torque
Guru Newb
NY
33 Posts

1991 convert
Posted on: 2007/11/10 16:02

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.