Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
142 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Saw Blades
The wheel style used for most of the C4s existence.

The early saw blades face forward. This means they catch air from the outside and drag it insi...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

WW7 Is hatch glass adjustable??
Senior Guru
Almost Heaven WV
268 Posts

Is the rear glass on my 89 adjustable? The glass is sitting to close to the back edge on the drivers side and I need to adjust it up towards the top or front, more. If it does adjust , how???.Thanks...WW
Posted on: 2009/5/11 16:42
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Matatk Re: Is hatch glass adjustable??
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22812 Posts

I've seen this question come up before and never saw a good answer on it. I checked the FSM for my 89 and unfortunately there is no real reference in there to adjusting the back glass.

The glass itself should be glued onto the hinge and then the hinge attaches to the halo area with three or four nuts. I believe there is a minor adjustment that can be made to this mounting point. I also believe you have to remove the interior halo panels to get to this.

Good luck and be careful with the glass. It is no longer produced by GM or it's suppliers and a used hatch glass will run you $250-$400.

Post up your results if you find something.

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/5/12 1:30

Matatk Re: Is hatch glass adjustable??
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22812 Posts

OK, I did a little more digging and found a very interesting article on the ZR1netregistry.com:

http://www.zr1netregistry.com/ZR1_hatch.htm

Quote:
ZR-1 Hatch Shifting

Last Update: 10/07/2006

by Randy Schulkers
DIAGNOSIS:
Most common on late 1990, or early 1991 Corvettes and ZR1's.

Rear hatch glass is touching or almost touching the fiberglass lip near the gas tank flap on one side, but has about 1/4 inch gap on the other side. Additionally, if the glass has shifted down too far, the hatch latch striker may show signs of abrasion, and the plastic trim may be dented or broken.

PROCEDURES AND CURE:
If you have a really different (intermittent screeching / creaking / scraping) sound that the dealer cannot identify, combined with a mis-aligned rear hatch glass, it might just be a glue adhesive failure. You may find that the sound travels - seems like it is coming from different areas at different times. You may take the cabin back interior trim off and notice nothing loose.

Back in the days of the CAC, good old Jerry Watts knew what it was immediately. Jerry faxed a copy of the service alert #93-131-10 about the adhesive failing on the rear hatch. At first, I could not believe it since the checking procedure included opening the hatch fully and trying to notice a wiggling or looseness when pushing up further - which my glass did not seem to do (I wasn't pushing up hard enough). But Jerry was right about many other things, so back to the dealer we went. With the procedure bulletin in hand, the dealer took my car to the auto glass shop nearby where they removed the glass hatch, re-glued it, and bolted it back on - problem solved: $100 bucks, plus whatever the dealer charged for "diagnostic charge". Yes, the glue supplier had provided defective glue for a time period, and it was changed when the GM factory found out about the failures. I am not aware that one can do this repair at home since the glass handling is tricky and the hatch is very heavy and expensive. So, just take the car to a reputable glass business and instruct them to remove and re-glue the hatch glass.

The removal procedure, not the re-gluing, is described in the GM Repair Service Manuals ST-364, section 10-8.

Hope this helps!

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/5/12 1:35

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.