Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
198 user(s) are online (134 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Aluminum Powerglide
Automatic Transmission - 2 Speed

1st Gear: 1.76/1.82
2nd Gear: 1.00

- Used in production GM models from 1962 thru 1972.
- 14 Bolt Pan.
- Vac...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Flashman Need Help mounting clutch pedal in 86 vette
Senior Guru
Tampa Bay, Florida
174 Posts

Hi All,

I am in the process of converting my 86 auto vette to a manual transmission. I am trying to mount the clutch pedal but I am having problems getting it to mate to the aluminum crossbeam and the firewall. The top of the bracket is angled. The holes are drilled for the master clutch cylinder. Does the clutch pedal mount on top of the crossbeam?
Also, looking at the pedals, is the clutch higher than the brake pedal? I am having a hard time trying to mount that clutch under the dash. I did have a lot of fun mounting the brake pedal. I had to use my auto mounting bracket because the holes were in different locations mounting to that wonderful crossbeam. Any info or pictures will be appreciated as I will continue to work on this car all week. Thanks.

Joe
Posted on: 2009/7/7 4:11
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

jhammons01 Re: Need Help mounting clutch pedal in 86 vette
Senior Guru
1044 Posts

damn, you bit off a lot in one bite.....

I feel for ya mang.
Posted on: 2009/7/7 5:48

Flashman Re: Need Help mounting clutch pedal in 86 vette
Senior Guru
Tampa Bay, Florida
174 Posts

Hi,

Yeah thanks. But when I start a job like this, I see it thru. I will work on it everyday until it is finished. Working under the dash of a corvette is a back breaking job. My hands and arms are all bruised and cut up from just doing the clutch pedals. Yanking the trans, exhaust and drive shaft was a piece of cake. Stressed but not going to give up. All I need is a picture of a 84-88 corvette clutch pedal mounted to the crossbeam underneath the dash. I will be back to work on this when I finish my deliveries today. Take care.

Joe Flash
Posted on: 2009/7/7 13:32

jhammons01 Re: Need Help mounting clutch pedal in 86 vette
Senior Guru
1044 Posts

Lemme see if I feel industrious enough to crawl under there later today.

I didn't put any lube on my Clutch MC when I swapped it out early last Spring. It creaks now....my 7 year old told me that I couldn't race that car....I asked her why??.....she just pointed at the foot area and the next time I pushed the clutch, she said "There....because of that" meaning the creak noise.

So I have to get under there anyway...
Posted on: 2009/7/7 16:10

CentralCoaster Re: Need Help mounting clutch pedal in 86 vette
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I was tempted to get a pic but it required pulling the plastic kick panel which is kinda tedious.

Do these diagrams help any?

Attach file:

pdf Pages from Corvette 1984 Shop Manual.pdf Size: 995.93 KB; Hits: 197
Posted on: 2009/7/7 17:05

Senior Guru
Tampa Bay, Florida
174 Posts

Hi Guys,

Yes, the diagrams do help. I am mounting it the same way it says in the diagram. It also looks like the same bracket from the 84. Well I am just gonna get it mounted to the firewall and where ever that angled top bracket ends up, I will make a spacer or fabricate some way to mount it. I know its a pain to remove that plastic cover to gain access to the clutch & brake pedals. I have asked all my Corvette friends and nobody knows. I wish I had some local friends with a 84-89 4+3 car. There is one for sale a few miles away. I should pretend I am interested in buying it. But I think the owner would get pissed if I started ripping his car apart. Lol. Thanks for the info. I will snap some photos as I am trying to mount it.
Talk later.

Joe Flash
Posted on: 2009/7/7 18:02

Senior Guru
Tampa Bay, Florida
174 Posts

Hi Guys,

Im done. The bracket will not line up or flush to the firewall without hitting the cross beam. I cant even manauver the bracket to line up the bolt holes for the master clutch cylinder. I posted pictures of the clutch on the master clutch cylinder thread. The only way I can mount it is if I cut the front left side of the bracket and fabricate it. I say again, either I have the wrong clutch mounting bracket for an 86 or the aluminum cross beam is different on a automatic corvette than a manual 4+3 corvette. There is no part number stamped on the clutch mounting bracket so that even makes things harder. I will do more searching before I cut the bracket.

Joe Flash
Posted on: 2009/7/7 19:42

Senior Guru
Tampa Bay, Florida
174 Posts

Hi Guys,

Figured it out. The used corvette parts place sent me the wrong pedals. They are for a 90 and up corvette. The clutch assemblies look very similar. The brake is definately wrong.
You know, I depend on Corvette parts suppliers to know what they are doing and this is what happens. Well, I am sorry to trouble you guys with this problem.

Joe Flash
Posted on: 2009/7/7 23:22

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.