Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
131 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Cigarette Lighter
Does it work?

If not, the fuse is hidden… behind the Driver Information Center (DIC) on the 1984-1989, and under the right knee bolster on the ...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

WW7 Can you help narrow this problem down??
Senior Guru
Almost Heaven WV
268 Posts

I have a engine miss when Im just cruising, not when Im accelerating. If I accelerate it runs smoothly, its only when Im either just running along at one speed or letting off the gas slowly..I just replaced the egr and the O2 sensor,checked the fuel pressure and checked for vacuam leaks and it still does it..The plugs and wires are only a year old but tomorrow Im changing them hoping that fixes the problem. With it only doing it while going at a steady speed can you think of any other things it might be? Anything you can suggest as being the cause will be appreciated....WW
Posted on: 2009/7/28 21:08
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

CSS996 Re: Can you help narrow this problem down??
Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

I cannot be of any help, except to suggest you stop throwing parts at it until you diagnose the problem.

Hopefully someone here with real knowledge will chime in soon.

Good luck!
Posted on: 2009/7/28 21:43

WW7 Re: Can you help narrow this problem down??
Senior Guru
Almost Heaven WV
268 Posts

Im really not throwing parts at it. The egr I replaced had a hole in the diaphram , was leaking air, and not working. The O2 sensor was giving me a high Block Learn reading(148) and a high Integrater reading (132) indicating a possible bad O2 sensor,when I changed the O2 sensor it fixed my Lean fuel problem and brought both readings down near (128) where they belong,as far as changing the plug wires,I already have them so I might as well use them, but I still have the miss when cruising..Thanks..WW
Posted on: 2009/7/28 21:54

pianoguy Re: Can you help narrow this problem down??
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

How are the injectors? Maybe one is leaky or something along those lines?
Posted on: 2009/7/29 1:38

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Churchkey Re: Can you help narrow this problem down??
Guru
69 Posts

Had a similar problem on a 89 vert. Miss at cruise, full power at WOT. Had one injector that would not seat properly. Two cans of NAPA injection cleaner through the fuel rails solved the problem. This procedure requires specialized equipment.

Suggest reading the plugs when you remove them, if one or more show signs of running rich you may have a similar problem.
Posted on: 2009/7/29 1:41

dan0617 Re: Can you help narrow this problem down??
Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

Plug wires will likely fix your problem. I had that exact problem on a Ford 302 and it was the plug wires, even though they looked fine. Use lots of wire looms, you need to get it so no wire is touching any other wire or any metal. Sounds impossible but it can be done. Cut to length wires is the best way to go.
Posted on: 2009/7/29 2:08

Senior Guru
Almost Heaven WV
268 Posts

I always like to get back and let people know what my outcome was, so maybe it will help the next person with a similar problem..I found out my miss was a short in my coil, the red and white wires touched and burned shorting out and causing a rough idle and a miss at idle and midrange speed....WW
Posted on: 2009/7/30 21:17

CSS996 Re: Can you help narrow this problem down??
Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

Thanks for that. We do appreciate it!
Posted on: 2009/7/30 21:33

pianoguy Re: Can you help narrow this problem down??
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Quote:

CSS996 wrote:
Thanks for that. We do appreciate it!

+1
Posted on: 2009/7/30 21:51

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Matatk Re: Can you help narrow this problem down??
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22812 Posts

Awesome. Glad you found it. Was the miss very noticeable when you were driving? I've got a slight surge at cruise and I've been putting off tracking it down, might be related to the coil like yours.

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/7/30 22:09

Senior Guru
Almost Heaven WV
268 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Awesome. Glad you found it. Was the miss very noticeable when you were driving? I've got a slight surge at cruise and I've been putting off tracking it down, might be related to the coil like yours.

Matthew

It was very noticable, it was like a jerking motion as soon as I settled at a moderate speed,I wouldn't call what I had (surging)..There are a lot of things that can cause a car to do this,I was actually checking my distributor cap when I happened to notice the burnt wires,,Purely Luck,,.. Surging can be caused by a EGR valve stuck partially open, IAC sticking or dirty, a vacuam leak is one of the first places to look for surging but it usually does it at idle also.I believe surging is usually a air related problem,but not always..Good luck finding your problem....WW
Posted on: 2009/7/30 23:27

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.