Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
286 user(s) are online (241 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  A4
Generic reference to an automatic equipped C4. All are 4-speed overdrive units....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

j3studio [!@#$% 1985 Digital Cluster] Need Context And Advice
Elite Guru
Western Philadelphia Burbs
4247 Posts

The digital cluster in my 1985 has worked great for almost five years. I drove the car today and one of the elements on the speedometer began to flicker, recovered for a couple of minutes, flickered again, and went out. Cycling power did not change the behavior.

If all elements are lit, the one missing looks like this:
.. _ .. _
| |_| ._|
| |_| |_|

(please excuse the white periods - the interpreter doesn't like multiple spaces)

What's the likely diagnosis? To me, it seems like the element itself or its connection has gone bad, because the rest of them are still reading a speed that matches the bar graph speedometer. Two more questions:

1) Is this something I can fix myself?

2) If I can't fix it, who would you suggest to do the work?

Of course, I need this to work by mid-September, when I'm attempting a performance verification.

Posted on: 2009/8/22 19:58

bogus Re: [!@#$% 1985 Digital Cluster] Need Context And Advice
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I would remove the IP and ship it off to one of the rebuilders. Just have the entire thing gone through and be done with it.

Yes, it will cost a ton... but it will be done and done right. You won't have to worry for a long while.

Losing an element like that isn't good... it means the LCD is failing on that part.
Posted on: 2009/8/22 21:03

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Matatk Re: [!@#$% 1985 Digital Cluster] Need Context And Advice
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Flickering is usually a bad ground. If you are missing a line, from what I understand that is a dirty contact. Check batee.com for the best info on that.

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/8/22 21:04

j3studio Re: [!@#$% 1985 Digital Cluster] Need Context And Advice
Elite Guru
4247 Posts

Can't believe Andy is telling me to punt...

Posted on: 2009/8/22 22:49

bogus Re: [!@#$% 1985 Digital Cluster] Need Context And Advice
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Yea, I am... its one component of a C4 I won't touch.

Since you want to keep the car perfect, you can waste a lot of time jerking around with patches and fixes... just unass the cash once and be done with it.
Posted on: 2009/8/22 23:00

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Elite Guru
4247 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
Yea, I am... its one component of a C4 I won't touch.

Since you want to keep the car perfect, you can waste a lot of time jerking around with patches and fixes... just unass the cash once and be done with it.

It makes me feel better that you are endorsing the direction I was probably heading in - this is especially painful because the rest of the car is working so well.
Posted on: 2009/8/22 23:42

CentralCoaster Re: [!@#$% 1985 Digital Cluster] Need Context And Advice
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Whoa..... slow down, this is doable.

You will need to open up the cluster and remove the rear circuit board to get to the LCD panes. The rear board is tricky as it's held in by a row of pins to the front board which can be very difficult to pull lose. Unscrew it and then try wriggling that rear board loose from those pins...

When you get that board off, the front board comes off next. Now, there's some pink/orangish rubbery strips in there that are surrounded with plastic retainers, these make contact with the LCD panes which are simply clamped against them when the front board is screwed in.

I would try removing the pane in question and gently clean the edges where these strips contacts it. It may be stuck to the pane, but don't worry, it's not glued on or anything, and if you carefully loosen it it won't hurt anything. If you actually touch the contact points on the strips, you'll notice parts of the lcd panes light up! Ok, probably not a good idea to screw with that too much.

Anyhow, upon assembly, double and triple check that you get the panels in correctly, it's tricky to get them seated flush and get all the rubber spacers in properly.
Posted on: 2009/8/23 5:58

rayquayle Re: [!@#$% 1985 Digital Cluster] Need Context And Advice
Senior Guru
139 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:

You will need to open up the cluster and remove the rear circuit board to get to the LCD panes. The rear board is tricky as it's held in by a row of pins to the front board which can be very difficult to pull lose. Unscrew it and then try wriggling that rear board loose from those pins...

When you get that board off, the front board comes off next. Now, there's some pink/orangish rubbery strips in there that are surrounded with plastic retainers, these make contact with the LCD panes which are simply clamped against them when the front board is screwed in.

I would try removing the pane in question and gently clean the edges where these strips contacts it. It may be stuck to the pane, but don't worry, it's not glued on or anything, and if you carefully loosen it it won't hurt anything. If you actually touch the contact points on the strips, you'll notice parts of the lcd panes light up! Ok, probably not a good idea to screw with that too much.

Anyhow, upon assembly, double and triple check that you get the panels in correctly, it's tricky to get them seated flush and get all the rubber spacers in properly.

:me2: Especially the last paragraph. Don't want to crack an LCD!

If you get stuck, I've got a couple that I've rebuilt on the shelf. I can send you one to use for your verification and until you get yours working.
Posted on: 2009/8/23 8:18
NCM Founder #2896
NCM Lifetime #672
Graduate of Gordon's School

Elite Guru
4247 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:

CC, you are giving my remaining skills too much credit (I last did real electronics repair 20 years ago).

It damned near killed me just to get the damn thing out of the dash - though at least it didn't scar me like my C5's EBCM did a couple of month's ago.

If I had more time, I might mess around; but I don't. It's shipping out tomorrow morning.
Posted on: 2009/8/23 20:58

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.