Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
277 user(s) are online (212 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  C1
Abbreviation for the 1st generation of Corvettes built from 1953-1962....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

rklessdriver Bad Weather and New Tires
Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

About 3 months ago I bought new tires for the Cherokee and have been meaning to put the on it but with all the traveling I've been doing for work its managed to slip thru the cracks. I've really been wanting to get them on it and try them out but they have just been stacked up in the den for the time.

The Goodyear MTR is suposed to be a great dual purpose tire for light vehicles and today I got to find out how good.

We got our first bit of snow today... First thing this morning before it got too heavy I went to the tire store and got the Goodyears installed. 30X9.5 R15, IMO is about the perfect tire size for most stock height XJ's. It won't rub too hard and don't kill your gear ratio.

We wheel quite a bit. Other people are always amazed at the terrain I tackel with a stock LOOKING XJ. I usually don't tell them that it has had the sucky Dana 35 rear axel replaced with a Ford 8.8. It has 3.73 gear with the stock Ford traction lock clutch type posi and rear disk which increased the braking ability 100%. OF course we have the mandatory Safari Rack on the roof for "external storage" but I mostly just used it to mount the extra lights as I don't like all that weight so high up. It has a 2.5" cat back I built with a Jones Exhaust deflection style welded body muffler. Other than those 3 things our XJ is stock complete with 198,000 miles.

Heres a few pics and a vid of my new "tire test".

Here we are heading down the trail.

[IMG]http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f303/rklessdriver/Jeep/DSC01079.jpg[/IMG]

Here are making the stream crossing and getting ready to head up the hill.

Here is my Beauty and our little Beast once we reached the top of the hill and turned around to head for home.

[IMG]http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f303/rklessdriver/Jeep/DSC01082.jpg[/IMG]

A pic as we head home back down the hill.

[IMG]http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f303/rklessdriver/Jeep/DSC01083.jpg[/IMG]

All and all I'm pleased with the Goodyear MTR's performance. It seems like its going to be a good tire for us.

Sucks we can't drive Corvette's all the time so you got to make you other vehicles fun too.
Will
Posted on: 2009/12/5 22:50

1972 Corvette. LS5 454 BBC with M20 4 speed.
Best Pass - Doing good to just pass a gas station.
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

pianoguy Re: Bad Weather and New Tires
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Looks like a great way to make the best of the nasty weather! I always get a kick out of taking my wife's Liberty out when we have a big snowfall - fun little truck.
Posted on: 2009/12/5 22:59

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Durango_Boy Re: Bad Weather and New Tires
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

I used to have a 2 door '87 Cherokee. That was a very fun Jeep and I ran it all over hell and back...twice. Had over 200K miles on it before I sold it to my buddy when I bought my Durango. He drove it for another two years before it finally died...and even then he got $1000 trade in on it for his Tiburon new ion 2001.

Mine was all stock except for the stereo system I put in it and it had no problems with all the off-roading, mudding, mild rock crawling, and camping I did in that thing.
Posted on: 2009/12/5 23:01

Mekanic Re: Bad Weather and New Tires
Registered Vendor
Tampa Bay Florida
827 Posts

How are they on the highway? Are they noisy?

I'm about to put new tires on my truck, needs me some 33's, looking for something that still has good highway manors and isn't some howling clopping beast. All the trails I hit are sugar sand, no need for an insane mud grabber
Posted on: 2009/12/6 2:55

Yea tho I walk through the valley in the shadow of rice, I shall fear no turbo, for torque art with me.

rklessdriver Re: Bad Weather and New Tires
Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Quote:
How are they on the highway? Are they noisy?

They are a pretty dedicated Mud Terrain tire and are going to be noisey on dry pavement. Even with the snow comming down and everything soaking wet I could hear them howl anytime we got over 35mph on pavement today.

Quote:
I'm about to put new tires on my truck, needs me some 33's, looking for something that still has good highway manors and isn't some howling clopping beast. All the trails I hit are sugar sand, no need for an insane mud grabber

I'm not an expert on soft sand wheeling as I've MOSTLY lived on the east coast and we have mostly mud or swap land - unless you go to the beach - but not many places let you drive on the beach anymore. With 33X12.50's you have a wide tire with a lot of floatation. I'd probally opt for an All Terrain rated tire like the Nitto Terragrapler AT, Toyo Open Country AT, or some of the Mikey Thompson Baja's which can be aired way down and won't dig down in soft stuff. The one time I lived out west - I was stationed out in 29 Plams CA for a few years. Lots of the other Marines were into wheeling in the desert at that time and those were the tires most of them had on their dual purpose trucks.
Will
Posted on: 2009/12/6 3:45

1972 Corvette. LS5 454 BBC with M20 4 speed.
Best Pass - Doing good to just pass a gas station.

Mekanic Re: Bad Weather and New Tires
Registered Vendor
Tampa Bay Florida
827 Posts

great info! I've been looking in to the Toyo open country
Posted on: 2009/12/7 0:39

Yea tho I walk through the valley in the shadow of rice, I shall fear no turbo, for torque art with me.

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.