Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
238 user(s) are online (193 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Callaway
A builder of special edition Corvettes.

Very valuable, some exceed 6-figures.

Most notable is the B2K, 1987-1991....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Durango_Boy Anyone good at aluminum welding and fill?
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

I am looking for someone with the equipment and skill to fill some slots in my carb adapter with aluminum so I can trim the bottom flange of the carb adapter to fit my manifold perfectly, and re-drill my own mounting holes.

What about an epoxy for aluminum, allowing me to fill the slots, let it cure, trim the base to fit, and drill. I just need whatever is used to be as strong as the aluminum around it, and be able to polish it like the aluminum around it.

The slots are what make this all difficult. If I trimmed it as is, half of each slot would be cut off and I would basically have four 'hooks' left to take the pressure of the mounting bolts.

If someone thinks they can fill the holes with aluminum allowing me to do what I want to do, I would gladly pay shipping and labor.

Pics:

[IMG]http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m242/durango_boy/CIMG2123.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m242/durango_boy/CIMG2124.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m242/durango_boy/CIMG2122.jpg[/IMG]
Posted on: 2010/3/21 2:23
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

CorvetteBob Re: Anyone good at aluminum welding and fill?
Elite Guru
1409 Posts

Having had a bit of weld-up work done, I'm not sure it'll come out like you want. That's a nicely polished piece and it'll turn color where the heat gets used. The slots wont just fill in nicely, but rather a skilled welder will need to spend some time to get it filled in right so it can then be worked back down for polish. That being done, it'll need to be milled across the bottom to remove any warpage that occurs during welding. Drilling the new hole pattern comes next. Last but not least, it can then be polished back to perfection.
Unfortunately, that's what happens to castings when you weld on the machined mating surfaces.
Posted on: 2010/3/21 6:05

CorvetteBob Re: Anyone good at aluminum welding and fill?
Elite Guru
1409 Posts

Sorry, double post
Posted on: 2010/3/21 6:15

Durango_Boy Re: Anyone good at aluminum welding and fill?
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

What about an aluminum epoxy that is used to just fill the slots? That would alleviate all the heat and warping issues.
Posted on: 2010/3/21 13:13

joeld Re: Anyone good at aluminum welding and fill?
Guru
Lawrenceville Ga
718 Posts

A "good" welder can do this if they have a TIG machine. A TIG machine is much better than trying this with a MIG machine using aluminum wire. Reason being the heat is controlled in a more precise manner with a TIG.
Warpage can be kept to a minimum or even none by stitch welding and just going slow to avoid heat build-up.
As far as re-polishing, the area around the weld will not look exactly the same as the rest. Simply because the "filler" material is slightly different. I don't think most people will be able to see any big difference after final polish IMO.
Epoxy will not polish, so I wouldn't advise that.
Good luck

Joel
Posted on: 2010/3/21 15:05

Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

Okay...so is anyone here a 'good' tig welder?

I have looked locally in the past for a good tig welder and came up short. Lots of guys that have a tig welder, and some that can weld with them, but I never found anyone with any real level of skill.
Posted on: 2010/3/21 15:11

Vetron87 Re: Anyone good at aluminum welding and fill?
Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

You can tig weld the casting however, you will not get the desired finish, Aluminum based epoxy may not hold up to heat and cooling cycles plus finish will be dull. You can preheat the casting and use molten aluminum heated by oxy/acy and pour the cavity or slot until full and domed. Cool, grind and finish. The whole casting must be heated and heat soaked for 15 minutes to prevent warping and cracking. Becareful, any moisture near pour will react violently when pouring. If the parent casting is not a billet piece but a casting could create a problem also, porocity in the casting caused by poor quality and contaminates. Hope this helps.
Posted on: 2010/3/21 15:13

BillH Re: Anyone good at aluminum welding and fill?
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Epoxy won't hold.
Yea, what Bob & Ron said, especially about the weld not matching the color perfectly.
Finding a guy that's really, really good with a TIG isn't easy, many can do good welds but they aren't used to doing custom car work. Foose's guys could though.

Question: If you're going to put like a chrome nut on the top, why not just make a custom washer to cover the slots? Stainless steel or one you could have chromed?
Posted on: 2010/3/21 15:31

Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Question: If you're going to put like a chrome nut on the top, why not just make a custom washer to cover the slots? Stainless steel or one you could have chromed?

The slots don't bother me as much as the overhangs of the adapter over the carb flange of the intake manifold. Filling the slots is just necessary if I trim the adapter to match the manifold.

I used some tape as template from the manifold to the bottom of the carb adapter. I marked it with a Sharpie and checked all the lines where it would trim. That's when I realized that trimming would cut material around the slots leaving them kind of hooks that certainly won't hold that adapter down, and it would look very odd.

Plus, the slots are huge, and the washers to cover them would have to be just as huge, and since the slots are near the edge of the adapter the washers would overhang even more than the adapter hangs from the manifold.

I'm going to ask Inglese if maybe they will trade my polished adapter for a freshly cast piece that has not had the slots machined out yet. That might be easier, and I would then only have to pay to have it polished again which might be cheaper than paying someone to do this custom work.
Posted on: 2010/3/21 15:37

Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

I like Bill's idea use washers, better yet grind the washers to conform to slot dim. Tig will work but hot spots will domb the project if you don,t preheat the casting kinda the process you use for cast iron. We have tried tig in my advanced welding class I teach with mixed results. The molten process works the best. Again depends on the quality of the casting.
Posted on: 2010/3/21 15:40

Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

I could deal with the slots if the adapter didn't overhang as much. That's my main concern, the overhang of the adapter on the manifold.

The only reason the slots are a issue at all is because I want to trim the adapter to match the manifold and that would leave me with half slots, or hooks, which would look worse, and not be strong enough to hold the adapter down securely.

If it were a problem with just the slots I would make plugs to drop down in the slots leaving just simple bolt holes.
Posted on: 2010/3/21 15:43

Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

Matt your last thread appeared while I was typing my last comment. The molten pour will work and have the integrity when cutting the flanges. Any fabrication shop should be able to do this for you. Or get a big ass air cleaner housing then out of sight out of mind.
Posted on: 2010/3/21 15:48

Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

Quote:

Vetron87 wrote:
Or get a big ass air cleaner housing then out of sight out of mind.

Heh heh, the problem is that I won't have a large air cleaner...

Dual side draft carbs, and a unique cold air system that snakes tubes up to the nose of the car where the filters will be hidden behind the nose grills.

[IMG]http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m242/durango_boy/CIMG2067.jpg[/IMG]
Posted on: 2010/3/21 15:56

Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

Matt that is soooooooo cool I see now the problem. Damn thats a work of art!!! Matt VanGogh!!! Pablo Mattcso!! The Mystic of Small Blocks!!Sciencetologist of Chrome!!
Posted on: 2010/3/21 16:04

BillH Re: Anyone good at aluminum welding and fill?
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Durango_Boy wrote:

The slots don't bother me as much as the overhangs of the adapter over the carb flange of the intake manifold. Filling the slots is just necessary if I trim the adapter to match the manifold.

Ah, makes sense now.
I'd like to see te adapter flipped over.

Looks like a bare casting is the only way to go if you can't find someone to do the molton metal thing.
Posted on: 2010/3/21 16:21

Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

Quote:

Vetron87 wrote:
Matt that is soooooooo cool I see now the problem. Damn thats a work of art!!! Matt VanGogh!!! Pablo Mattcso!! The Mystic of Small Blocks!!Sciencetologist of Chrome!!

Thanks so much for the compliments. It's been a long planned project with a few different iterations.

[IMG]http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m242/durango_boy/CIMG2066.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m242/durango_boy/CIMG2068.jpg[/IMG]
Posted on: 2010/3/21 18:33

biggrizzly Re: Anyone good at aluminum welding and fill?
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

That really is awesome. Is that going into the Corvette?
Posted on: 2010/3/21 18:39

Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

Quote:

biggrizzly wrote:
That really is awesome. Is that going into the Corvette?

Thanks so much. Yeah it's going into the Vette along with a TH2004R. It's such a beautiful engine that I have spent too much time on to compromise and have a carb adapter that doesn't properly fit the manifold.
Posted on: 2010/3/21 18:42

Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

Matt where did you get the old school valve covers??
Posted on: 2010/3/21 23:30

Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

Quote:

Vetron87 wrote:
Matt where did you get the old school valve covers??

Here's a link. I think you can get them on Ebay too but I don't know about the quality.

http://www.rjays.com/Engine%20Parts/valve-covers-01.htm

I bought the short covers, and while they will work, I have a few issues with clearance. I had to have my poly locks milled down a bit to fit under the covers. Assuming they fit without problems I'm glad I went with the short.
Posted on: 2010/3/22 1:40

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.