Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
198 user(s) are online (109 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Callaway
A builder of special edition Corvettes.

Very valuable, some exceed 6-figures.

Most notable is the B2K, 1987-1991....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

BeachBum Thinking about buying.....
Master Guru
751 Posts

a 2004 or 2005 Cadillac CTS-V..... I've located one of each locally and in all rights, if I can make a deal, will buy one of them.

Any of you have any experience with them ? Anything I should look for ?

A customer has one and took me for a drive the other day, and I was thoroughly impressed..... it is truly not your dad's Cadillac.... more like a racecar with a couple of extra doors.

Any input on the cars, I'd appreciate it.... I've never looked at them seriously until now.
Posted on: 2010/6/27 23:34
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

TommyT-Bone Re: Thinking about buying.....
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33767 Posts

I was just pricing some new ones. The car sparked my interest. After seeing the prices I thought to myself they're nice but not that nice (for my wallet). So if you can pick up an 04/05 for a good price I want to hear all about it.
Posted on: 2010/6/27 23:54

BeachBum Re: Thinking about buying.....
Master Guru
751 Posts

Yeah, the new ones are expensive.... but nice, and if I was on the market for a New BMW or Mercedes performance-type sedan, I would probably go after the new Cadillac.... but at around $ 80k for a new one.... fat chance.

I have been doing some more studying and have found quite a few of the 04 & 05 CTS-V advertised here and there.... it appears for a low mileage 04 or 05..... somewhere around 20-25 k is the number..... for the higher mileage 90,000+ mile ones, under 15k can be had.... I found one 04 advertised for 13k, but, they neglect to mention the mileage. Plus it has been modified a bit, which I do not like with those.... there is another 05, with 110k miles advertised for 14k, hence it can probably be had for 12-13k or thereabouts.... that is one stock.

They have the same motor in them they put in the Corvette Z06 C5....(LS6), that has around 400 HP.... they do a great job of pulling the CTS-V based upon my driving impression.....

If I jump on one.... I would prefer a bone stock one with something less than 50k.... appears many have modified the things.
Posted on: 2010/6/28 0:58

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3933547 ... chevrolet-corvette/page-1

BrianCunningham Re: Thinking about buying.....
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

On Cadillacs, when the body style changes, the prices on the older models drop like a rock

(kinda like Corvettes )

The V6 model has the AWD if you need it.

Gary Hoffman's wife has one, company car, nice ride.
Posted on: 2010/6/28 1:12

bogus Re: Thinking about buying.....
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

you may want to reach out to fellow guru CadillacTech. If anyone is aware of weakness, it's Bruce.
Posted on: 2010/6/28 1:51

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Master Guru
751 Posts

Upon further studying, apparently the early CTS-V's had a weak rear end.... but, I wouldn't be racing it, so I don't think it would be a big problem.

I am not interested in the V6 Cadillacs.... the CTS-V's came with a 6 speed and LS6 motor.... and they're very tight cars from what I can tell.... more sport than cruise.... I like that. Have factory Brembo brakes too.... so I guess they stop fast.

I want one for my daily driver....I think I'm sold.
Posted on: 2010/6/28 2:17

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33767 Posts

I was talking to my wife about buying a new one for the company for her to go out and do estimates.
Posted on: 2010/6/28 2:24

Matatk Re: Thinking about buying.....
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

I can't speak to the CTS-V, but I do like the subtle styling differences. My dad has a regular 6 cylinder CTS that I've driven and it's a very nice car.
Posted on: 2010/6/28 2:34

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33767 Posts

Moved to other vehicles forum.
Posted on: 2010/6/28 13:22

Master Guru
751 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
I can't speak to the CTS-V, but I do like the subtle styling differences. My dad has a regular 6 cylinder CTS that I've driven and it's a very nice car.

The thing I was surprised about, was how tight the car was.... I expected a big floating mass of a car that felt like an ocean liner to drive, but was actually a very tight nimble car that could handle exceptionally well.... and with the V series, the motor adequately makes it feel light.

If anybody is ever on the market for a used luxury car... I recommend a look at them. I think the V series was designed to compete squarely against the BMW M5 series..... and at considerably less money, yet similar performance.... would probably do a good job of it if more people knew about it.
Posted on: 2010/6/28 14:32

Master Guru
751 Posts

Well, I am off the 2004-2005 Cadillac train..... after reading the below long term Road & Track review, it kind of turns me off it.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/lon ... ap-up_2005_cadillac_cts-v

On that rear-end problem..... I have read about it everywhere.... some Cadillac owners have even tried to group together to get Cadillac to address the design problems with it.

I'm guessing they might have the problems fixed in 07 and up models, but not sure..... but the used prices of them start going higher than I am willing to spend, so it doesn't matter I guess.
Posted on: 2010/6/28 18:53

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.