Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
238 user(s) are online (201 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  LT5
Engine used in the ZR1, 1990-1995, manual only....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

NC Kid Window Motor issue
Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

One week ago, I stripped my window tint off. I found some glue on the inner window seal on the passenger side and I scraped it off because the window got stuck on it. I just had my windows re-tinted Tuesday. I tried to roll them down today because I had to wait two days for the film to firm up and so I would not void my warranty. Anyway, the passenger window will not roll down. The glue sticking to the window was the first thing I thought! No, that isn't it. When I hit the button, you can hear it running in the door and the window will move maybe 1/2 inch. If it is running, then that takes out the motor being shot which is a relief because they are around 350 dollars.
I do know that the earlier ones run off a ribbon and they do tend to break but it keeps popping in my head that this did not occur until the tint was removed. Is it out of the quiestion that when it got stuck, that it possibbly snapped the ribbon or that the window got moved off the track. It's freezing outside today so I am just brain storming until tomorrow. It worked fine before. Drivers side works normal as well and I am adding that I am not going to upgrade to the later style motors because it's to much hassle and expensve. Plus, I am a novice at wiring and don't want to tackle anything that big.

Thanks.....
Posted on: 2007/12/1 21:46
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus RE:Window Motor issue
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

hm... I don't remember when the ribbon ended... I know it was gone in 1987.

new motors are not $350, more like $60 and about 2 hrs to replace...

I would be shocked if the tint is stopping the window, will it go down with the door open? you see, these are frame less windows, so there isn't anything to stick to, really.

Does the motor continue to run, even when the glass stops?
Posted on: 2007/12/1 21:57

NC Kid RE:Window Motor issue
Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

As of right now, the window will not move. It's stuck in 1/2 inch position. Yea, the framless sucks. I grabbed the glass with the door open and tugged on it, holding it up it will stay in place, but as soon as I let it go it slides back down 1/2 inch.....I know I have the ribbon. I think the later 86s might have gotten the better style. Anywho, it's nto the tint that was restricting it. It was teh glue when I yanked the tint off that first night. I went back with a blade and tint removing cleaner and cleaned it up before the new tint was put on. They were going to charge me 100 dollars to remove two peices of tint. Cost me 7 dollars and an hour of my time. Tint is platinum to. Looks like a mirror because it reflects. Back on topic, I stopped pushing the button because I don't want to burn it out. Only 60 dollars? I was reading in Midamericaas magazine that the window regulator/motor was 350 a side. I must have been looking at something else.

Oh yea, just to add about the stereo. It came home from the shop today still messed up and the guy said it was my ignition giving off a radio interference and that my motor was big so that was contributing to it as well. I think that's B.S. but they don't seem interested. They did put in a new CD player in hopes that it would fix it but it made it worse. Now it pops and makes static. Atleast this time it's not the cars fault....It's the shops fault.
Posted on: 2007/12/1 23:25

Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Add one more thing. The motor stops running when I let go of the button. I'll have more info tomorrow I hope. The windows do rattle ALOT though. When you close the door, sounds like they are going to break. Inner/outer seals need to be replaced but it sounds like alot of work.
Posted on: 2007/12/1 23:30

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

the ribbon is toast.

contact www.vette2vette.com if you want to upgrade to the newer regulator.

I would still be shocked if the glue would interfere with the function of the window.

as for the radio, you need to find a shop or friend or someone that is able to fix the wiring issues. that's crap as far as their explaination.
Posted on: 2007/12/2 0:55

CasetheCorvetteman RE:Window Motor issue
Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Quote:
hm... I don't remember when the ribbon ended... I know it was gone in 1987.

Not in early 87s, they had the ribbon regs as well.
Posted on: 2007/12/2 6:29

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I know my wifes 87 has the new style regulator... I just don't know the build date.
Posted on: 2007/12/2 7:17

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Mine was a very early 87, august of 86 i think it rolled out. Is your wife's not labeled on the end of the left door? You can also tell by the VIN how early in the production year it was.
Posted on: 2007/12/2 7:36

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I will check... the car has been painted... I will post the VIN for reference, otherwise.
Posted on: 2007/12/2 7:42

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Just the last 6 digits on the VIN will do it mate
Posted on: 2007/12/2 8:33

CentralCoaster RE:Window Motor issue
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Don't waste your time digging into the door without upgrading the regulator.

My ribbon regulators, even when they worked were slow as piss.

http://webpages.charter.net/khasting/techinfo/windowreg.html

The install is almost bolt-in. You'll need to drill one hole in the bottom of each door, and reverse two wire on the passenger side motor. Really basic stuff.
Posted on: 2007/12/26 2:49

CA_Irregular RE:Window Motor issue
Guru Newb
Sacramento, CA
8 Posts

Don't you think that the people tinting your window screwed it up? Neat trick making you wait two days to test the window. Who is to say what it was like when it left the shop?
Posted on: 2007/12/26 3:38

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

The tinting shop shouldnt have had to touch the reg, or have anything really to do with it, removing the inner panel with the window fully up shouldve been enough for them to get the tint low enough on the window.
Posted on: 2007/12/26 3:47

CentralCoaster RE:Window Motor issue
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Surely they stressed or busted something in the regulator when applying the tint or trying to get it all the way down to the bottom of the glass.

I like their 2-day rule. I'm going to use that from now on. "All repairs come with a full 1-day warranty on parts and labor" However warranty is null and void if said system(s) are operated within the first 2 days following repair.

Posted on: 2007/12/29 20:19

pappyfreebird RE:Window Motor issue
Senior Guru
1028 Posts

i hear ya ... id be on there asses pronto...it werked n they werked on window n now dont..id least be whinnon loudly
Posted on: 2007/12/29 20:40

SpectatorRacing RE:Window Motor issue
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

If the window motor is running it's not the wiring or the motor. And in case it wasn't obvious, the size of your car's engine has nothing to do with electrical interferance. Only other electrical components or wiring can affect that.

However, longshot, but if the window motor is fried somehow (seems unlikely if you can hear it run) it could produce a large enough EMC (electromagnetic compatibility) signal which could cause noise in the radio.
Posted on: 2007/12/29 22:56

Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

No its the ribbon. I popped the door panel off and saw it broken in two. Starting a fight with a tint shop over a piece of plastic that is known to break is not going to help me much.
Posted on: 2007/12/29 23:08

SpectatorRacing RE:Window Motor issue
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Quote:
No its the ribbon. I popped the door panel off and saw it broken in two. Starting a fight with a tint shop over a piece of plastic that is known to break is not going to help me much.

No, but guns and shouting will. Go get 'em!
Posted on: 2007/12/29 23:16

Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Quote:
Quote:

No, but guns and shouting will. Go get 'em!

I don't have any guns and I don't like shouting. I am going to fix the ribbon when it comes in and be done with it until I upgrade to the later style motor. It's a cheap fix at only 18 dollars.
Posted on: 2007/12/29 23:23

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Once you fix the ribbon i would leave it at that til it fails again, my 87 had the ribbon style regs in it and they never ever let me down. I dont know the average life or the ribbon, but mine were fine right up til i sold it.
Posted on: 2007/12/30 1:49

Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Quote:
Once you fix the ribbon i would leave it at that til it fails again, my 87 had the ribbon style regs in it and they never ever let me down. I dont know the average life or the ribbon, but mine were fine right up til i sold it.

I can't figure out why it did fail. They must have put pressure on the window when they were trying to tint it or something. I'll have to take a pic of where it's broken. I pushed the two pieces up together and the window closed up fine. I just left it like that so if it rains, the interior wont get soaked. A person from another forum said they it cost 200 a side with them doing the work.
Posted on: 2007/12/30 1:53

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

They get old and tired, they are made of plastic, the plastics of the 80s were nothing like some of the ones in later times, so they just suffer from old age failure.

$200 a side for what?
Posted on: 2007/12/30 3:22

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.