Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
220 user(s) are online (174 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Coil over
The term coil over means having a coil spring coaxial with the shock absorber. In terms of a Corvette, it replaces the leaf spring.

[IMG]http:/...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Kay What else to change on a TH700 that comes from a G20 VAN to put it into a C4 ?
Guru Newb
Germany
26 Posts

Does anyone have an idea what else I need to change on a TH700R4 that comes from a 1990 G20 VAN (110,000miles) to put it into my 1984 C4?
I auctioned it really cheap on eBay last Monday for just $90 lol - Still can't believe it!
The guy said it was working fine! Only the pump got broken because they made a mistake when putting it back on the torque converter after replacing the crankshaft sealing.
I got told that everything should fit on a 1984 C4 if I just move the following parts from my old broken original tranny...

1. Corvette Servo
2. Corvette Gouvernor
3. Corvette Tailhousing

Is there anything to change on the output shaft?
The new tranny comes from a 2 wheel so it should be the same as the one of my old C4 TH700?

Thanks for any tips or suggestions!

Kay
Posted on: 2010/8/21 19:03

bogus Re: What else to change on a TH700 that comes from a G20 VAN to put it into a C4 ?
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Where's Pete when you need him???

I know Pete K will have this answer... from what I have read, I think you are covered, but I am not confident enough to say "GO!"
Posted on: 2010/8/21 19:56

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

vetteoz Re: What else to change on a TH700 that comes from a G20 VAN to put it into a C4 ?
Senior Guru
453 Posts

You " may " have to trim the output shaft down because Vette T700 has shorter shaft
I didn't when I used a non Vette trans in mine but Pete has repeatedly stated he has had to do it on all that he has done
Posted on: 2010/8/22 4:02

PeteK Re: What else to change on a TH700 that comes from a G20 VAN to put it into a C4 ?
Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

Quote:

Kay wrote:
Does anyone have an idea what else I need to change on a TH700R4 that comes from a 1990 G20 VAN (110,000miles) to put it into my 1984 C4?
I auctioned it really cheap on eBay last Monday for just $90 lol - Still can't believe it!
The guy said it was working fine! Only the pump got broken because they made a mistake when putting it back on the torque converter after replacing the crankshaft sealing.
I got told that everything should fit on a 1984 C4 if I just move the following parts from my old broken original tranny...

1. Corvette Servo
2. Corvette Gouvernor
3. Corvette Tailhousing

Is there anything to change on the output shaft?
The new tranny comes from a 2 wheel so it should be the same as the one of my old C4 TH700?

Thanks for any tips or suggestions!

Kay

Kay,

You are in luck. Alot of pick up truck and van's share vette parts.
To retain as much of the vette transmissions "character", you will need to use the parts you listed from your 1984,
However, the 90 trans will use a 30 spine converter, rather than the 27 spline your 84 used.

Also, I recommend you do the following:
Cut 3/4 from the rear of your van's output shaft.
Install white accunulator springs in all 3 accumulators. Check the boost valve sure it is .471. If not, use the 84 vette's boost valve and lo-reverse valve.
All are easily done on the bench, before installation.
*Note vette uses the B hole on the outout shaft for the speedo drive gear. Be sure to move it accordingly.
Posted on: 2010/8/22 12:44

Kay Re: What else to change on a TH700 that comes from a G20 VAN to put it into a C4 ?
Guru Newb
Germany
26 Posts

Pete - Thank you very much for your infos!
That should cover all I wanted to know!
But one additional question...
Vetteoz posted that he didn't shortened the output shaft when he used a none Vette tranny on his car.
Will I get in trouble if I do it his way or would it still fit because there is no up/down movement on the differential on a C4?

Thank you,
Kay
Posted on: 2010/8/22 15:10

PeteK Re: What else to change on a TH700 that comes from a G20 VAN to put it into a C4 ?
Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

As Vetteoz has mentioned, my experiences were that the shaft must be cut. In every case that I tried to eliminate that step, the driveshaft would not install, as the tailshaft bottomed out in the yoke, preventing the forward movement needed to engage the u-joints.
Posted on: 2010/8/22 16:49

Kay Re: What else to change on a TH700 that comes from a G20 VAN to put it into a C4 ?
Guru Newb
Germany
26 Posts

Thank you Pete,
that's exactly the issue I want to prevent.
So I will check the length of the C4 th700's output shaft and compare it with the new one.

Thanks,
Kay
Posted on: 2010/8/22 17:15

Guru Newb
Germany
26 Posts

To finalize this thread...

Yesterday I finally got ready with exchanging the TH700 of my C4. As mentioned before I really had to shorten the output shaft 11/16 to fit the driveshaft length.
Today I made a test drive and it was just amazing!!!
The shifting points are absolutely PERFECT!
On WOT, even if running already at 60-70 Mph, it shifts 2 gears downwards and the car accelerates like a rocket!
Looks like I got a brand new Corvette that spends me a lot of fun during the next time. Hopefully for longer! haha

Thanks,
Kay
Posted on: 2010/9/7 22:04

Matatk Re: What else to change on a TH700 that comes from a G20 VAN to put it into a C4 ?
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22807 Posts

Excellent! Thanks for the update.

Matthew
Posted on: 2010/9/8 2:00

TommyT-Bone Re: What else to change on a TH700 that comes from a G20 VAN to put it into a C4 ?
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33775 Posts

Enjoy the ride ___________ ________
Posted on: 2010/9/8 11:35

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.