Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
323 user(s) are online (247 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  ALDL
Assembly Line Diagnostic Link

The cable you use to connect to a TECH 1 or a laptop computer for diagnosis and data logging purposes....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

astock165 How much would you pay for a pair of adjustable swaybar links?
Registered Vendor
Manchester NH
199 Posts

We have what we think is a design for a better adjustable swaybar link for the C5/C6. Unfortunately making them is small quantities (to start) is making the cost of goods high. So we'd like to get your help in determining what the market will bear.

All the adjustable links I've seen are like ones shown here and sell for around $300 per pair:

Not surprisingly we believe the ones we have designed are a little better execution of the same idea. We am using a Teflon lined rod end with thru hole in it so we can bolt the link to the bar with a Class 10.9 metric nut & bolt and remove the cantilevered stud from the link. We're also using Stainless Steel tapered spacers to allow maximum rotation of the rod end. We'd also offer the links with or without rubber rod end boots. Boots help keep the rod ends clean and free of debris and lengthen their life. Lastly, and we think most importantly, our design uses two rod ends with a stud in between, rather than a male rod end threaded into a female rod end like shown above.

This last feature makes our link infinitely adjustable whereas the other links are only adjustable in 1/2 turn increments. This means that once your car is corner weighted you can connect the swaybar and ensure that there is zero preload for maximum performance

How much would you pay:

1) No more than the $300 the current ones go for

2) $300-$400

3) $400-$500

4) more than $500 if you thought they were really worth it

Posted on: 2010/12/2 1:02
www.banskimotorsports.com
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

BillH Re: How much would you pay for a pair of adjustable swaybar links?
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Wow, the links in the pic are puzzling for the exact reasons you stated, Tom. And unless that vendor found some things I've never seen, they did a boatload of machining for no good reason (benefit). Long female rod end? Unless they found a stock one that just happened to be the length they needed. And the studs? Custom? Retained to the rod end by what, a snap ring? You couldn't pay me enough to put those on a car.

I'm sure your's will be way better.
Good luck with launching your new product.
Posted on: 2010/12/2 14:37

pr0zac Re: How much would you pay for a pair of adjustable swaybar links?
Elite Guru
Pittsburgh
1045 Posts

i really dont see where they get there prices from for some of these things.. i dont see how something like that would cost more then $100
Posted on: 2010/12/2 14:56

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Good PTFE stocked size rodends alone are $48.00 each.
Posted on: 2010/12/2 15:57

CentralCoaster Re: How much would you pay for a pair of adjustable swaybar links?
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Anything that can be done to reduce the distance from the rod end to the sway bar attachment is good. The ones pictured are far from it.

The only custom part needed should be a part to go in the end of the sway bar.

I like rod ends, but what is the point in needing to adjust the length? I can't see how this would have any meaningful effect on the anti-sway or anything else.
Posted on: 2010/12/2 21:50

astock165 Re: How much would you pay for a pair of adjustable swaybar links?
Registered Vendor
Manchester NH
199 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
I like rod ends, but what is the point in needing to adjust the length? I can't see how this would have any meaningful effect on the anti-sway or anything else.

It's to remove any preload when the car is corner weighted.

In the case of my C4: I disconnected both swaybar links and corner weighted my car. Then I put my equivalent body weight in the driver's seat (which in my case is not trivial task!) and shortened one of the links to it's minimum and connected it. When I went to the other side I had adjust the length of the 2nd link so that I could bolt it together without having to load the bar at all. If the links were the same I would have had to push down on the one side of the swaybar to get the bolts to line up.
Posted on: 2010/12/3 13:09

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

astock165 wrote:
It's to remove any preload when the car is corner weighted.

In the case of my C4: I disconnected both swaybar links and corner weighted my car. Then I put my equivalent body weight in the driver's seat (which in my case is not trivial task!) and shortened one of the links to it's minimum and connected it. When I went to the other side I had adjust the length of the 2nd link so that I could bolt it together without having to load the bar at all. If the links were the same I would have had to push down on the one side of the swaybar to get the bolts to line up.

Yep, preload isn't good. Swaybars should be loose at ride height with the drivers weight in.

A long time ago, I bought a whole lot of shotgun pellets. Put then in different size plastic containers (like antizreeze bottles). Weighed and marked them to use as driver weight. A friend of mine has the same thing but used regular sand from Home D in the bottles.
Posted on: 2010/12/3 15:28

astock165 Re: How much would you pay for a pair of adjustable swaybar links?
Registered Vendor
Manchester NH
199 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
A long time ago, I bought a whole lot of shotgun pellets. Put then in different size plastic containers (like antizreeze bottles). Weighed and marked them to use as driver weight

That's a good idea. Luckily my brother lives near by and he's built a lot like me so he comes over and sits in the driver's seat and has a beer while I set the swaybar links!

Nice work if you can get it.
Posted on: 2010/12/3 15:53

CentralCoaster Re: How much would you pay for a pair of adjustable swaybar links?
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Man, I could help you with that. I might have to hold a keg for you though. I hope you work slow.
Posted on: 2010/12/3 16:22

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.