Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
304 user(s) are online (245 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  L98
The GM designation for the 5.7 liter, (350 cubic inch), TPI motor. This motor was used in other GM vehicles, but was used in the Corvette from 1985 t...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

tjpreul ABS question
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
1103 Posts

Another question on the 1996 Jimmy. The ABS seems to kick in rather easy. There was a recall for this, but this one did not fall in it. With our recent weather it is slick in areas. However it goes into antilock a lot easier than my S-10 does (which practically never does).

Here are two things. The brake fluid is dirty (black), so I will be changing it out. The other is the tires are not the correct size. They are bigger than factory. Came with 235/75 R15's, and has 30x9.5 15's. This is about 5mph faster at 55.

What would be the best solution to fix the antilocks from engaging so quick?
Posted on: 2011/1/13 15:47
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

BillH Re: ABS question
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

I'd definately change the fluid.

Don't know on making the ABS less responsive. But, my 2wd Silverado will kick it on with light pedal pressure when I hit painted road markers that are just wet (like a crosswalk line on the pavement).
Posted on: 2011/1/13 15:53

tjpreul Re: ABS question
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
1103 Posts

At lunch today the Anti-lock (ABS) light came on. What sensor trips this light?
Posted on: 2011/1/13 19:43

'92 auto, MSD, Banski, Taylor wires, SS lines, C5 rims, 3.07 gears, white gauges, seats from a '96.

Motor: Forged rotating assy, Probe pistons, CC valvetrain, AFR heads, Procharger P1SC

SpectatorRacing Re: ABS question
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Low fluid will turn on the light. Maybe it's just that.

Tires play a huge factor. Older systems tuned to the OEM tire. Changing it made big changes to performance. They typically chose a summer and winter tire and found an appropriate compromise, but always the same size as from the factory.

Nowadays we have much more sophisticated algorithms and the computing power to run them, so you can tune based on real time data instead of simply watching wheel slip.
Posted on: 2011/1/13 20:34

Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
1103 Posts

Quote:

SpectatorRacing wrote:
Low fluid will turn on the light. Maybe it's just that.

The fluid is full. The light came on when I was moving and turned off when I stopped. It did this three times, then stayed on.
Posted on: 2011/1/13 21:45

CentralCoaster Re: ABS question
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

If the ABS light doubles as a brake warning light, you could have a pressure imbalance between the front and rear circuits.

An internal leak in the combination valve at the master cylinder, or any leak really, or even air in either system can cause this.
Posted on: 2011/1/13 23:34

Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
1103 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
If the ABS light doubles as a brake warning light, you could have a pressure imbalance between the front and rear circuits.

An internal leak in the combination valve at the master cylinder, or any leak really, or even air in either system can cause this.

It has a brake light(red), and an ABS light(yellow) in the dash. This one is the ABS. On the way home it went off at the stop signs at first, then it stayed on. Just like at lunch earlier. I think it is a wheel sensor. I am going by the dealer to have it scanned. A friend works there, so he will scan it for free.
Posted on: 2011/1/14 0:45

Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
1103 Posts

There were only two codes for the brake. One was for the brake light switch, and the other was the ABS dash light wouldn't work. Both items work, so I think it put the codes in when it blew the fuse from the 4x4 harness being smashed in the column.

The codes have been cleared. It still seems like a sensor problem with how it wouldn't light up until 15mph.

The TECH II scanners are a lot nicer to use.
Posted on: 2011/1/18 17:26

'92 auto, MSD, Banski, Taylor wires, SS lines, C5 rims, 3.07 gears, white gauges, seats from a '96.

Motor: Forged rotating assy, Probe pistons, CC valvetrain, AFR heads, Procharger P1SC

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.