Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
179 user(s) are online (125 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

jsup My Build.....
Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Figure I'd run through what I'm trying to accomplish here and the parts and pieces that are going into it.

I started with a 1990 Coupe with 30K miles that ran perfectly. The car is flawless mechanically and asthetically.

So, I picked up a nice, polished Super Ram pretty cheap. That started it all. Then I got into "while I'm at it".

So here's what I did:

1. Brodix Race Rite heads, 180 CCs
2. Lingenfelter 219 cam
3. Super Ram
4. 1.6 Comp Cams full roller rockers, chrome molly
5. Comp Cam chro-mo pushrods
6. Comp Cam guide plates
7. LS-7 new roller lifters
8. Cloyes Double Roller Chain
9. All New Gaskers
10 Standard brand 24LB injectors
11. Exotic Muscle long tube headers (without AIR or EGR fittings)
12. Accell Base plate for Super Ram
13 New Water Pump-high volume
14 New rubber everywhere (hoses and such)
15 All new gaskets, heads, oil pan, etc...etc...etc...
16 New wires, cap, rotor, Accel coil, plugs basic tune up
17 3 inch X Pipe
18 I'm keeping the Power Effects rear exhaust.
19 3 inch high flow cats from PYPES
20 I'll custom build the exhaust from the cats to the power effects

I think the only thing I kept were the pistons.

I would like to see 325 or better RWHP. (any comments on that would be appreciated). I have asked lots of questions along the line.

At this point the heads are on, the oil pan is on, timing set is on, intake is on, headers are installed. The only thing left to do are odds and ends like some rubber hoses, O-rings on the fuel line, new water pump, and misc. small odds and ends.

I also ripped out the AIR system, as it is useless and clutters up the engine bay.

I still need to get an adjustable fuel regulator and some other small parts.

So, any comments, questions, suggestions are all welcome. Better to get it out now, than find out later.

After this is done, I'll be looking at a torque converter, 2600-2800, and a Transgo Shift kit.

Thanks all.
Posted on: 2007/12/31 0:10
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

cuisinartvette RE:My Build.....
Elite Guru
1782 Posts

Sounds like a nice strong street motor, should rip pretty good. Too nad you werent closer, coulda picked up the heads and intake a bit.

Youll liike that combo man.
Posted on: 2007/12/31 0:12

sliding RE:My Build.....
Senior Guru
Zagreb, Croatia
326 Posts

I have very similar (you can say that it's very common and proven) setup, except I have ported #113 heads and Hooker headers.

You'll love it.
Posted on: 2007/12/31 15:39

red_johnny RE:My Build.....
On Sabbatical
Augusta, GA (85 383 stroker)
3213 Posts

Wow, with all that work I would have figured you would go to a 383.
Posted on: 2007/12/31 15:41

LD85 RE:My Build.....
Master Guru
Indianapolis, Indiana
784 Posts

Nice, when will you fire it up?
Posted on: 2007/12/31 15:43

CasetheCorvetteman RE:My Build.....
Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Good stuff mate
Posted on: 2007/12/31 15:46

dan0617 RE:My Build.....
Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

Yes, good combo! I'm in the process of the same job, only I am using ported 113 heads with 2.02/1.60 valves done by Precision Motorsports, a CC503 cam, a hsr intake with vette plenum, 24# injectors, small cap dist. and remote coil. I already have a Crane hi-6, a 2800 stall converter, B+M shift improver kit, trans cooler, drag radials, and a Zex 125 shot. Since you are asking for suggestions, here are the only ones I have:

1. Make sure you get a tune, you didn't mention that. pcmforless for me. 2. Depending on how much you drive your car a 2800 stall is alot. If you go that high, make sure you get a good tight converter and a lockup converter. 3. MAKE SURE you add a tranny cooler BEFORE you install the converter. 4. Put a set of headers on your to do list. 5. Congrats for taking on the heads/cam job. After getting mine back together I respect anyone who does their own, it is alot of work and (in my case) a scary endeavor if you never messed with a fuel injected motor before.
Posted on: 2007/12/31 20:05

biggrizzly RE:My Build.....
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

Your still ahead of me!!! I have been sick this week, and really wanted to get my heads on, but I guess it will have to wait a bit.

I think I have just about everything I need except new Samco hoses! I want the red hoses cause I'm a poser!
I also haven't decided if I'm gonna send my PCM off to PCMFORLESS or just get them to email me a tune and buy a cable and software. What are yoou doing for your tune?

Anway, looks like you should be firing it up soon. I can't wait to hear how it goes.
Posted on: 2007/12/31 20:31

jsup RE:My Build.....
Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:
Wow, with all that work I would have figured you would go to a 383.

I didn't want to pull the block out. That would have been too much work. :thumbright:
Posted on: 2007/12/31 22:24

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:
Your still ahead of me!!! I have been sick this week, and really wanted to get my heads on, but I guess it will have to wait a bit.

I think I have just about everything I need except new Samco hoses! I want the red hoses cause I'm a poser!
I also haven't decided if I'm gonna send my PCM off to PCMFORLESS or just get them to email me a tune and buy a cable and software. What are yoou doing for your tune?

Anway, looks like you should be firing it up soon. I can't wait to hear how it goes.

I just put on the balancer, water pump. I have to get that dam Super Ram on, which is worrying me.

I should be able to fire it up shortly if the SR goes well.
Posted on: 2007/12/31 22:27

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:
Yes, good combo! I'm in the process of the same job, only I am using ported 113 heads with 2.02/1.60 valves done by Precision Motorsports, a CC503 cam, a hsr intake with vette plenum, 24# injectors, small cap dist. and remote coil. I already have a Crane hi-6, a 2800 stall converter, B+M shift improver kit, trans cooler, drag radials, and a Zex 125 shot. Since you are asking for suggestions, here are the only ones I have:

1. Make sure you get a tune, you didn't mention that. pcmforless for me. 2. Depending on how much you drive your car a 2800 stall is alot. If you go that high, make sure you get a good tight converter and a lockup converter. 3. MAKE SURE you add a tranny cooler BEFORE you install the converter. 4. Put a set of headers on your to do list. 5. Congrats for taking on the heads/cam job. After getting mine back together I respect anyone who does their own, it is alot of work and (in my case) a scary endeavor if you never messed with a fuel injected motor before.

My first FI motor too.

Anyway, yes, there is a local guy here who can dynotune for me. Greg at Blowerworks. you have to ask him real nice.

If not, quite a bit further away is Corvettes of Westchester who does real nice work too.

I have headers, EM long tubes. Just went on.

There is a tranny cooler line that goes into the radiator. How does a separate cooler install?
Posted on: 2007/12/31 22:46

dan0617 RE:My Build.....
Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

I installed mine in front of the a/c condenser. I removed my aux fan. It comes with 4 plastic mounting things something like a wire tie, but they just push through the condenser and tranny cooler and an end pushes on. There are 4 pieces of foam that go between the condenser and tranny cooler to keep them from rubbing together. Mine came from Autozone. It also had a fitting to screw into the radiator where one of the lines originally screwed in. I took the line with the fluid coming from the tranny to the radiator out of the radiator. I put a piece of hose and clamps (supplied) from that line to the tranny cooler. I then took a piece of the hose and more clamps and went from the tranny cooler to the radiator where I removed the line. It works great. I have heard of people installing it on the feed line (line coming from tranny to radiator) and others installing it on the return line. I decided to install it on the feed line for 2 reasons. First it takes alot of temperature away from the radiator, which helps keep the coolant a hair cooler. The main reason is because I was afraid in cold weather with the cooler mounted out front the fluid would stay too cold and thick and not lube the tranny enough. This way it goes through the radiator right before it goes back to the tranny so if I'm driving in cold weather the radiator will help warm the fluid a little before it gets back to the tranny. I guess if you were running autocross or driving in all hot weather it would work best on the return side. I hope this helps.
Posted on: 2007/12/31 23:46

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Hey guys with similar builds.....what kind of RWHP are you seeing and what kinds of 1/4 mile times?

Got some done this weekend. Got the H2O pump mounted, the air bypass pulley. Tomorrow I am going to try to get the hoses on the "T" arranged that I cut off and the AC compressor bracket mounted and the compressor mounted.

After that I orderd new lines for the oil cooler then it's just the radiator and fluids.

I need the EGR block off plate for the Super Ram, the big one. If anyone has one, let me know, they are hard to find.

Then it's just a matter of mounting that dam Super Ram.....I'm not looking forward to it....
Posted on: 2008/1/2 2:00

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.