Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
290 user(s) are online (235 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Liter
Metric unit of measure. In the case of engine displacement, it measures the total volume of all combustion chambers. Therefore in a 5.7L V8, each cha...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Fredbird Smooth idle now...
Senior Guru
San Antonio, Texas
103 Posts

Changed Plugs and wires on my 1991.

Went with ACDelco Plat. Rapidfire and Duralast Wires (Nothing Special.)

Previously it ran pretty well, but had a bit of a rough Idle... But I think I was had weak/losing spark due to bad wires. (Found this when I grabbed the distributor to adjust timing... *ZAP*) I will replace Dist Cap/Rotor next week. Also found that the previous owner had EVERY wire backward... The Dist/Coil end was on the plug and the Plug end was on the dist. So they were a bit loose on the plugs and they also had no Jelly. Could have been grounding all the time.

Only 1 concern... Even though the engine runs 10X better than it did before and starts with no effort anymore. 1X while starting it... the engine just stumbled and sputtered when I started it. I shut it off and started it again, it was fine, never happened again.

Any Ideas? I'm thinking it was a fluke... Possibly since I had started it several times in a row maybe confused the computer?
Posted on: 2011/5/12 16:57

screamin_conure Re: Smooth idle now...
Senior Guru
Northwest Indiana
346 Posts

I'm thinking it was a fluke too. I've had that same thing happen a time or two in the past.

Glad to hear you got it running smooth!

I'm having the exact same issue right now too (runs well enough, but a bit of a rough idle). I actually replaced my plugs last March (2010), but since then I did a lot of messing around with injectors that were running SUPER lean and I drove it like that for a full season. Now that I have a new ECM and a proper tune in it, I'm thinking I might have toasted an electrode or two last year and I need to get those plugs changed again.
Posted on: 2011/5/12 18:04
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

BillH Re: Smooth idle now...
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Yea, probably a fluke.

Heck, I gave a 2000 Silverado that does it every other day, but only once. I was going to do massive diagnosis but haven't got around to it.

It's been doing it for the last 60,000 mi.
Posted on: 2011/5/12 18:27

Ultraman Re: Smooth idle now...
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14738 Posts

I am trying to figure out how the previous owner got the plug wires backwards? Wires must be different on the LT cars. No way you can mess up the L98 wires. Mmmmmm wait a minute I better go out and check........

Glad you got it smoothed out.
Posted on: 2011/5/12 22:24

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

TommyT-Bone Re: Smooth idle now...
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Glad you found a simple solution. Start with the easy fix and work backwards. Sometimes you just get lucky. I love when that happens.
Posted on: 2011/5/12 23:02

Fredbird Re: Smooth idle now...
Senior Guru
San Antonio, Texas
103 Posts

Quote:

Ultraman wrote:
I am trying to figure out how the previous owner got the plug wires backwards? Wires must be different on the LT cars. No way you can mess up the L98 wires. Mmmmmm wait a minute I better go out and check........

Glad you got it smoothed out.

Actually, mine is an L98 as well, and the plug wire ends are slightly larger on the Coil/Dist. end of the wire(They are also labled Coil/Dist that end.) So, Since they were backward, the plug end was a bit loose. So I "could have" been losing spark from time to time.

Plugs seemed to be brand new, so the previous owner must have changed them just before I bought the car. They were nothing more than the basic Autolite plugs... No plat., nothing... I didn't check the gap on those... they might have been off a bit which would have contributed to a rougher idle. (Just out of curiosity I'll check tonight)
Posted on: 2011/5/13 14:07

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.