Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
262 user(s) are online (135 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Callaway
A builder of special edition Corvettes.

Very valuable, some exceed 6-figures.

Most notable is the B2K, 1987-1991....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

biggrizzly Driveshaft slip yoke not slipping!
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

It seems like every turn there is something to slow me down. After I spend nearly a whole day trying to install a stupid fluid tube I finally get the C-Beam up into place and begin the installation of the driveshaft. I lubed up the end of the slip yoke and it slides in but not far enough to allow me to connect the driveshaft/U-joints into the pinion yoke. Do I need to force it in? Nothing has changed in length so I don't understand why I can't slide the slip yoke far enough into the tailshaft. It seems to just stop hard before it gets to the end of its travel.

Any suggestions?
Posted on: 2011/5/16 1:46
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

1Fast04Vert Re: Driveshaft slip yoke not slipping!
Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

Suggestion? - Yes,but you might not be happy with it. Take teh c-beam loose at the rear end with the jack under the trans. Once the rear of the c-beam is loose lower the trans just a few inches and you will be able to put the driveshaft in OK.
Posted on: 2011/5/16 1:55

biggrizzly Re: Driveshaft slip yoke not slipping!
4543 Posts

That's not a problem as the C-Beam is not bolted up yet. I'm tired tonight but I'll be doing this tomorrow.

Thanks I'll give it a try, but for some reason it seems like it should slip in there further. Lots more shiney section on the slip yoke showing.
Posted on: 2011/5/16 2:10

SJW Re: Driveshaft slip yoke not slipping!
Guru
Central Maryland
51 Posts

Yah, that doesn't sound right. I'd pull it back out, and inspect everything carefully. Is there grease, or some foreign material in the cavity of the slip yoke? Is this the same yoke and driveshaft that was in the car before you pulled it apart? Have the trans or diff been altered in any way since the shaft was last in the car?

Live well,

SJW
Posted on: 2011/5/16 11:28

biggrizzly Re: Driveshaft slip yoke not slipping!
4543 Posts

SJW - Nah... everything is unchanged. The transmission is a rebuild, but the same case and tail shaft. PeteK built it.

I'm going to go back down there tonight after work and play with it and see if I'm just not aligning it properly, but it really feels like it is stopping.

Where do you live in Central Maryland? I live in Chesapeake Beach, but used to live in the Rockville/Gaithersburg area. I belong to Corvette Club of America and a lot of my Corvette buddies live up that way too. We hold our Autocross events at Lincoln Tech in Columbia. Also, Sport Chevrolet in Silver Spring is our sponsor.
Posted on: 2011/5/16 12:07

Matatk Re: Driveshaft slip yoke not slipping!
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

I seem to recall mine was tight, too. Do what Andy said and put the rear of the driveshaft in first, then lower the tailshaft of the trans a bit and slip in the front yoke.

Matthew
Posted on: 2011/5/16 13:16

PLRX Re: Driveshaft slip yoke not slipping!
Senior Guru
SoCal
212 Posts

In my Auto the drive-shaft slides in tight but it does. In my manual, I had to use a BFH and dented the thin part of the frame a bit, worked like a charm.
Posted on: 2011/5/16 16:59

SJW Re: Driveshaft slip yoke not slipping!
Guru
Central Maryland
51 Posts

Quote:

biggrizzly wrote:
SJW - Nah... everything is unchanged. The transmission is a rebuild, but the same case and tail shaft. PeteK built it.

I'm going to go back down there tonight after work and play with it and see if I'm just not aligning it properly, but it really feels like it is stopping.

Where do you live in Central Maryland? I live in Chesapeake Beach, but used to live in the Rockville/Gaithersburg area. I belong to Corvette Club of America and a lot of my Corvette buddies live up that way too. We hold our Autocross events at Lincoln Tech in Columbia. Also, Sport Chevrolet in Silver Spring is our sponsor.

Hmm... This makes me wonder if the tailshaft bushing might have a burr on it, or have some sort of fabrication flaw that alters its inner diameter or concentricity. Odds are it was replaced during the rebuild. To the extent that it's possible to do so, I'd suggest trying to peek at it through the gap between the shaft and seal, using a bright penlight.

Is there any chance there's a layer of grease on the external splines of the tailshaft, and/or the internal splines of the yoke, that could be causing an airlock to form in the cavity of the yoke? Or a buildup of grease or some other foreign material in the yoke cavity?

I'm in the Greenbelt area, and a member of FSCC. I worked in G-burg for around 12 years, then in Columbia for around 8 years. We oughta get together for a chilly-pop and some bench racin' one of these warm summer evenings.

Live well,

SJW
Posted on: 2011/5/17 2:13

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.