Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
222 user(s) are online (175 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

luke189 '72 non-pwr brakes
Guru Newb
5 Posts

Brake pedal fades to the floor overnight, pumps up ok. Been like this for 1 year. Been to 3 corvette shops all of which claim to have found one thing or another (no visable leaks). Over the year I have replaced: first both front calipers, secound all brake lines, third both rear calipers, forth 3 master cylinders, proportioning valve. Guess what the pedal still goes to the floor the next day after being bled. Any input? I'm thinking another master cyl.? On occasion the brake warning light will come on upon very hard brakeing. This is a simple non pwr system how can this be, why can't anyone figure it out? Spent over $2000.00 so far and "no joy". Thanks, Bob.
Posted on: 2011/7/12 17:09
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

tjpreul Re: '72 non-pwr brakes
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
1103 Posts

When the brake lines were replaced, were the metal lines also replaced? My first thoughts are the proportioning valve or a smashed/bent/kinked line.
Posted on: 2011/7/12 17:53

'92 auto, MSD, Banski, Taylor wires, SS lines, C5 rims, 3.07 gears, white gauges, seats from a '96.

Motor: Forged rotating assy, Probe pistons, CC valvetrain, AFR heads, Procharger P1SC

Durango_Boy Re: '72 non-pwr brakes
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

Quote:

luke189 wrote:
Brake pedal fades to the floor overnight, pumps up ok. Been like this for 1 year. Been to 3 corvette shops all of which claim to have found one thing or another (no visable leaks). Over the year I have replaced: first both front calipers, secound all brake lines, third both rear calipers, forth 3 master cylinders, proportioning valve. Guess what the pedal still goes to the floor the next day after being bled. Any input? I'm thinking another master cyl.? On occasion the brake warning light will come on upon very hard brakeing. This is a simple non pwr system how can this be, why can't anyone figure it out? Spent over $2000.00 so far and "no joy". Thanks, Bob.

Bob, who has bled the system after each repair?

Bleeding a C3 sucks. It's a long process and it's difficult getting all the air out of the system.

An air pocket at the distribution block, where the sensor is, can cause the warning light. This is also why the brakes pump up fine. You're compressing the air so it's tight briefly but then that pressure bleeds off back into the master. As the air trapped in the system expands the pedal gets mushy again.

Considering how much has been replaced I would put my money on poor bleeding.

New calipers...of which you have 4 of, hold a LOT of air and it's not easy getting it all out. Same for the new master. They tend to hold air bubbles during the bleeding process and that's even if you bench bleed before installation like you're supposed to.

Where are you located Bob?
Posted on: 2011/7/12 18:08

BillH Re: '72 non-pwr brakes
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Durango_Boy wrote:
Bob, who has bled the system after each repair?

Bleeding a C3 sucks. It's a long process and it's difficult getting all the air out of the system.

An air pocket at the distribution block, where the sensor is, can cause the warning light. This is also why the brakes pump up fine. You're compressing the air so it's tight briefly but then that pressure bleeds off back into the master. As the air trapped in the system expands the pedal gets mushy again.

Considering how much has been replaced I would put my money on poor bleeding.

New calipers...of which you have 4 of, hold a LOT of air and it's not easy getting it all out. Same for the new master. They tend to hold air bubbles during the bleeding process and that's even if you bench bleed before installation like you're supposed to.

Absolutely. That's all it can be with no visible leaks.

One new M/C with bad seals - possible, 3 new ones with problems, no.
There's air in there.
Posted on: 2011/7/12 18:34

biggrizzly Re: '72 non-pwr brakes
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

Welcome Bob! I'm glad you made it here unscathed! I hope the guys here will be able to help get your Stingray working the way it should.

There is a great group of guys here that will help out in areas that they have expertise.

Bob contacted our club looking for help with the Vette and I sent him here to the brain-trust for Corvettes. Treat him good!!

Don
Posted on: 2011/7/12 22:31

luke189 Re: '72 non-pwr brakes
Guru Newb
5 Posts

No the metal lines were not replaced however they do look new. Thanks I will discuss all these helpful hints with the corvette shop. Regards, Bob
Posted on: 2011/7/13 0:39

Guru Newb
5 Posts

Funny you should say that about bleeding, I did hear the same thing more or less. I have to believe the shops know how to bleed the brakes. I will pass your comments on to the next shop and see what they will do. This is very frustrating. I'd do it myself except I am not equiped to get under it. Thanks for all the help you all are giving me. The brakes feel great the first day they are bled but the pedal gets progressivly softer as the days go by until the pedal does hit the floor. I guess I need to ask them all what their bleed procedure is. Let you guys know what happens. Regards, Bob.
Posted on: 2011/7/13 0:46

Guru Newb
5 Posts

Thanks Don! I feel better aqlready. We might be on to something. I'll post the results as soon as I can get it back to the shop for re-bleed.
Posted on: 2011/7/13 0:57

Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

Quote:

luke189 wrote:
Funny you should say that about bleeding, I did hear the same thing more or less. I have to believe the shops know how to bleed the brakes. I will pass your comments on to the next shop and see what they will do. This is very frustrating. I'd do it myself except I am not equiped to get under it. Thanks for all the help you all are giving me. The brakes feel great the first day they are bled but the pedal gets progressivly softer as the days go by until the pedal does hit the floor. I guess I need to ask them all what their bleed procedure is. Let you guys know what happens. Regards, Bob.

Bob, clarify something. Is the pedal getting mushy on it's own just sitting, or is it as it's driven.

Initially you indicated that you could pump the brakes hard then overnight it would get mushy. Sitting still is totally different than if that happened while driving.

If the brakes get mushy after the car is driven then there is another possibility and not a lot of people think to look for this.

Rotor runout, or wobble, can cause your problem. A good shop should have a good dial indicator and base...something they will need to check the runout at each rotor.

If the rotor is not true and it's wobbling a bit while you're driving the caliper pistons kind of pulsate like an air pump. What can happen is the caliper pistons start sucking air IN and introducing air INTO the system.

Now here's where it gets tricky. Normally we would think that this would cause a drip or a noticeable drop in fluid level but in fact it's almost harder to detect than simply the need to bleed the brakes again.

The air that is sucked into the system, in the lines, compresses causing the mushy brakes. As you drive, more and more air is sucked in, and it starts making it's way up through the system to the master, where it is vented normally above the fluid in the master. Air is caught in the system in the calipers and master and you have a vicious cycle.

The key is determining which, if all or one, of the rotors are out of round and maybe have some wobble or as it's called, runout.

The shop can use a dial indicator to determine if you have this problem and they can use shims to correct the problem if it's not a warped rotor.

Fix that possible problem, and then when the system is bled it'll stay free and clear of air.
Posted on: 2011/7/13 11:14

Matatk Re: '72 non-pwr brakes
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22804 Posts

What Matt just said about sucking air in is very interesting. Older corvettes that had lip style seals on the calipers instead of 0-ring style calipers apparently can suffer from this. Here is a nice article on converting lip seal to o-ring:

http://www.cssbinc.com/images/ads/how ... errebuildinstructions.pdf
Posted on: 2011/7/13 11:57

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Durango_Boy wrote:
[quote]
The shop can use a dial indicator to determine if you have this problem and they can use shims to correct the problem if it's not a warped rotor.

Bob, what Matt described has certianly been docummented buy a bunch od C3 owners (C2's also).

The laterial runout (on the face or the rotor) spec is .004 inch max.

Shim the calipers parallel to the rotors,Matt? Just wanted to clairfy.
Posted on: 2011/7/13 12:40

Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Quote:

Durango_Boy wrote:
[quote]

Bob, what Matt described has certianly been docummented buy a bunch od C3 owners (C2's also).

The laterial runout (on the face or the rotor) spec is .004 inch max.

Shim the calipers parallel to the rotors,Matt? Just wanted to clairfy.

Actually bill the rotor is what gets shimmed. The runout is measured with the rotor secured to the spinning hub. The caliper really plays a very small role since the pads kind of 'float' over the spinning rotor.

The factory rotors are riveted as you know, so runout issues would be isolated to bearings. When replacement rotors are installed typically the rivets and removed but never replaced. In some cases people tap the holes and use counter sunk tapered head bolts to secure the rotor after runout has been minimized.

Without the runout being checked, the rotor is free to wobble and every time the wheel and rotor are removed it changes. Hence the rivets or bolts.
Posted on: 2011/7/13 14:06

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

I didn't realize that people were doing that (we do on the racecars).
I'd think that a new rotor would be true.
Posted on: 2011/7/13 14:23

Trae1976 Re: '72 non-pwr brakes
2012 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Johnson City, TN
832 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
I didn't realize that people were doing that (we do on the racecars).
I'd think that a new rotor would be true.

Yep, I've replaced all four rotors and had to shim all of them to get the runout down to under 0.005".
Posted on: 2011/7/13 14:50

Guru Newb
5 Posts

The pedal gets progressivly soft after bleeding while being driven until the pedal just goes to the floor after sitting for a number of hours or overnight. So I guess what your saying about run out could be a factor. I'll pass this along to the shop I'm visiting on Friday which I've sceduled to re bleed and let you know what goes down. Thanks, Bob.
Posted on: 2011/7/13 18:42

crash Re: '72 non-pwr brakes
Guru
WRIGHT CITY MO 63390
977 Posts

have who ever is bleeding the system do it with a pressure bleeder. see if it makes a differance.
Posted on: 2011/7/14 10:58

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.