Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
285 user(s) are online (244 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  ASR
Automatic Slip Regulation; ie traction control.

Standard on all C4s starting in 1992....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

cuisinartvette Computer stuff: No volume!!!
Elite Guru
1782 Posts

Did a system restore the other day.

I now have no volume control icon in the lower right hand corner of my screen. Reloaded printer, scanner, etc too.

I go to "All Programs"
then "Accessoried"
then "entertainment" then Volume control

and I get something that says

"no mixer/driver device found". what happened to this thing?
All the stuff is plugged in

Fwiw its a HP PavillionA465c with a HP vs17e monitor.

Helps!
Posted on: 2008/1/4 8:37
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

brut RE:Computer stuff: No volume!!!
Guru Emeritus
New Albany, IN
1308 Posts

Sometimes the system restores don't "restore" properly.

Hit "Start"

Go to "Control Panel"

Go to "System"

Click "Hardware" Tab

Click "Device manager"

This should bring up a list of all of your devices in your computer. You will probably see a red "x" next to one of the sound devices. Highlight that device and delete it.

Restart the computer. It will find that device again and probably ask for drivers. Re-insert you recovery disk(but don't let it start the recovery process). See what happens. Get back here if it doesn't work.
Posted on: 2008/1/4 9:25

cuisinartvette RE:Computer stuff: No volume!!!
Elite Guru
1782 Posts

Did that, didnt see a red . noticed I canot open audio and sound devices.
Posted on: 2008/1/4 9:48

dan0617 RE:Computer stuff: No volume!!!
Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

Go to the device manager, see if you can download a new driver. When it asks you where, insert your disk that came with your computer and tell it to search the cd drive, it is usually drive d. If you have more than 1 original disk, try each of them. I had that problem with a modem once (system restore didn't automatically reload the driver) and that is how I fixed it. If that doesn't work see if you can point it to the web. If you can, have it search the windows update website for the driver. I'm almost sure it is a driver problem and you have to find a way to get it to load the driver. I'm sure the driver file is on your original disks, it's just whether or not you can get windows to load it.
Posted on: 2008/1/4 15:13

bogus RE:Computer stuff: No volume!!!
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

yea, you need to reinstall the sound card driver.

It's on the same CD you haven't found yet...

Go to www.drivers.com, I think it is, and you can download them.

Another option, that link I sent you? You should be able to download all the drivers from that page.
Posted on: 2008/1/4 15:40

Elite Guru
1782 Posts

I downloaded the one from HP (Realtek driver) but the computer still says no known driver device. I dont know what else to do at this point...

Maybe cause I bought a new monitor after the system restore point??Should I insert my old disk or will it mess things up?

Think this things gonna have a major breakdown soon, 3rd time Ive lost Windows recently
Posted on: 2008/1/4 17:20

RollaMo-LT4 RE:Computer stuff: No volume!!!
Trivia Winner
Rolla, Missouri
422 Posts

The monitor shouldn't have anything to do with your audio drivers.

As everyone else has said, for whatever reason you have lost the audio drivers.

You said you downloaded the Realteck driver from HP. It's very possible that isn't the exact driver you need, and that is why you still see the no known driver device.

Device drivers are usually pretty specific to a device. And the driver you downloaded does not "see" your audio device.

Most systems come with at least 2 CD's
1. Windows Restore CD (Or an actual Windows install CD)
2. Drivers and Utilities CD

If you have a Drivers and/or Utilities CD, it's possible that you have the needed audio drivers on that cd. If you do, just insert the cd and see if it gives you any kind of option to install device drivers.

In most cases, when you install Windows, it will load generic drivers for some stuff. Most will almost never get any audio drivers, just because there are so many different kinds of them.
Posted on: 2008/1/4 17:31

rickreeves1 RE:Computer stuff: No volume!!!
Guru Newb
New Orleans
96 Posts

Is this the driver you are trying to install? ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp26001-26500/sp26412.exe I noticed it says update. I'm wondering if it's not the full driver and only an update to an original driver.

If you scroll down this page. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/so ... roduct=396431&lang=en There is one called Spring 2004 Original Audio Driver Collection. You can also get it here. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/so ... 31&os=228&lang=en Try that one if you haven't already. You may want to check first to see if what you already installed needs to be removed. Check add/remove programs and in Device Manager.

Posted on: 2008/1/4 18:33
95-Lt1-auto-Polo-Conv, 125hp ZEX N2O dry, LE Cam 226/234 565/565 109LSA, Comp Pro Mag 1.6rr, Patriot Xtreme Springs, PCMFORLESS, K&N, AO Ram Air, 52mm TB, EM LT Headers, X-pipe, Meziere HD EWP, Vigil 2800, TransGo Shift Kit, Pro-Built Trans, 24lb SVO'...

tobijohn RE:Computer stuff: No volume!!!
Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
515 Posts

Quote:
I downloaded the one from HP (Realtek driver) but the computer still says no known driver device. I dont know what else to do at this point...

Think this things gonna have a major breakdown soon, 3rd time Ive lost Windows recently

That Realtek sound card is integrated in the motherboard, isn't it? Did you check in the BIOS to see if somehow it was disabled? It's a long shot but if you've lost your OS three times, something is wrong (hard drive problems, power surges, power supply going south are just a few). Have you run scandisk (or chckdisk) to see if there any physical problems with the hard drive? Not that it has anything to do with the sound driver issue but going forward, if your drive is formatted as FAT32, you might want to consider goint to NTFS. It's much more stable. However, I don't know if that's an option for you if working from an OEM restore disk. I assume it reinstalls Windows as well as all the programs that originally came with the PC...
Posted on: 2008/1/5 0:01

CentralCoaster RE:Computer stuff: No volume!!!
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

If you're reinstalling windows you ABSOLUTELY need to keep it updated. Go to microsoft.com and see what it lets you install.

If you have a pirated version it may not let you update it. But don't worry they won't send the feds to your door or anything.
Posted on: 2008/1/5 5:03

RollaMo-LT4 RE:Computer stuff: No volume!!!
Trivia Winner
Rolla, Missouri
422 Posts

Quote:
If you're reinstalling windows you ABSOLUTELY need to keep it updated. Go to microsoft.com and see what it lets you install.

This is very true. They haven't actually produced an XP disc in a few years. So, from a base install there are close to 85 updates that should be done.
Also make sure, it's Service Pack 2. The early disc's were SP1.
Don't worry though if you only have SP1. SP2 is a free download.

Quote:

If you have a pirated version it may not let you update it. But don't worry they won't send the feds to your door or anything.

Yes, if it's XP then it has to be a genuine copy of Windows. The update process will run a check. If your copy hasn't been "Validated" it won't let you update. Also, you can only validate XP a limited number of times automatically. If you have a legitimate copy and it won't allow you to validate, all you need to do is call the 800 number you'll see in the message. About 15 minutes on the phone explaining your situation, and they'll give you a new number to type into the box. Then it will work.

I should add though that most copies of Windows that came with new computers are what they call OEM versions. They won't require this validation process. The typical restore disc does not even ask you to enter a license code. It's all built in. The update process will still check though.

When you get the OS installed, then just run the "Windows Update".
Posted on: 2008/1/5 14:25

Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
515 Posts

If Windows isn't prompting you to provide a driver, it sounds like it's not even seeing the Realtek sound chip. If you know anyone with a spare sound card (and the appropriate drivers), try installing that. At least you'll have some sound. If you don't know anyone, you can find cheapie sound cards for $10. With this suggestion, I'm assuming you're comfortable with messing around inside the PC case. As I mentioned earlier, check to see if the Realtek sound chip in the BIOS wasn't somehow disabled first...
Posted on: 2008/1/5 17:43

Elite Guru
1782 Posts

Id have to pay someone to do it, I have no idea how to do computer stufff.

had a friend come over and try to upload some pics...Needed to download a Canon thingie from their site to accept his camera. Download went Ok but computer still didnt regognize it.
This thing isnt recognizing drivers
Think I gots me some problems.
Posted on: 2008/1/5 18:23

Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
515 Posts

Tell me a little bit more about this restore CD. Does it reinstall Windows as well as all the programs that originally shipped with the PC? Or are you referring to the system restore you can do (theoretically) with the Windows XP CD? If the former, does it wipe out all the data on your drive prior to reinstalling or is it supposed to just repair the parts of Windows that have gone awry?
Posted on: 2008/1/5 19:29

CentralCoaster RE:Computer stuff: No volume!!!
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

You can "restore" windows, or "reinstall" windows, but you can't wipe it and start clean. This is probably a disc provided by HP. I usually spend an extra $10 for the legit windows CD when I get a new computer for someone. The free CDs they provide are useless, you can't format the hard drive if you have those.
Posted on: 2008/1/6 1:24

Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
515 Posts

Quote:
You can "restore" windows, or "reinstall" windows, but you can't wipe it and start clean. This is probably a disc provided by HP. I usually spend an extra $10 for the legit windows CD when I get a new computer for someone. The free CDs they provide are useless, you can't format the hard drive if you have those.

Personally, I've never had a completely successful restore or recover with XP or Win2K. And when I was in corporate IT, nobody bothered as at the first sign of trouble, we just reimaged the drive. The user's important files were supposed to be saved on a network server drive anyway and if they had any personal stuff stored locally, well, that wasn't our problem. I've been out of it for a few years now but I remember a few OEMs had an image of the OS and all the apps the PC was shipped with saved on a hidden partition on the hard drive. If you had a serious problem, you then booted off a floppy or a CD and the drive was wiped clean and the original OS and software reinstalled from the image on the partition. And unless you had some sort of a backup methodology, there was no chance to recover any of your files, either.

Ron, I thought you were near a couple PC savvy members, no?
Posted on: 2008/1/6 1:58

CasetheCorvetteman RE:Computer stuff: No volume!!!
Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Quote:
That Realtek sound card is integrated in the motherboard, isn't it? Did you check in the BIOS to see if somehow it was disabled? It's a long shot but if you've lost your OS three times, something is wrong (hard drive problems, power surges, power supply going south are just a few). Have you run scandisk (or chckdisk) to see if there any physical problems with the hard drive? Not that it has anything to do with the sound driver issue but going forward, if your drive is formatted as FAT32, you might want to consider goint to NTFS. It's much more stable. However, I don't know if that's an option for you if working from an OEM restore disk. I assume it reinstalls Windows as well as all the programs that originally came with the PC...

This is exactly what i thought in the begining. If it was me, it open up the case, and clear the CMOS. That will reset the BIOS to default values.
Quote:
Don't worry though if you only have SP1. SP2 is a free download.

Its a free download regardless.
Quote:
Yes, if it's XP then it has to be a genuine copy of Windows. The update process will run a check. If your copy hasn't been "Validated" it won't let you update.

This is not true. Although i have a genuine copy on here (didnt have for many years, the one ive got was given to me), and on my laptop, almost all of my mates have the pirate version in it various stages of update. The pirate copies will update just the same as any others, although when using the corporate CD key (starts out FCKGW : RHQQ2 etc etc), this will have to be changed to allow installation of SP1 or SP2.

You can install every single update available via the "Automatic Update" that works from the system tray, however if its not genuine, you dont want to do that, you want to read through and only install updates that done say "Microsoft Genuine Advantage" and youll be right.
Posted on: 2008/1/6 5:18

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.