Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
246 user(s) are online (203 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  HUD
HEADS UP DISPLAY. A DIGITAL PROJECTED DISPLAY ON INSIDE OF WINDSHIELD CONTAINING VEHICLE INFO SUCH AS SPEED, ENGINE TEMP, RPM, ETC. FOR DRIVER INFOR...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

j3studio All Quiet On C4 Guru ...
Elite Guru
Western Philadelphia Burbs
4247 Posts

Here is the time where it gets real quiet in here and you see your name as the last post in way too many places ...

... who else is still around. I'm finishing my final beer of the evening after watching the second of the two wild-card games (American football, Case).
Posted on: 2008/1/6 5:20

CasetheCorvetteman RE:All Quiet On C4 Guru ...
Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Im here mate I havent cracked open the first beer yet, its about 3:30pm on sunday arvo here, so it wont be far off, then ill be into the Chivas Regal
Posted on: 2008/1/6 5:30
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

VtVette RE:All Quiet On C4 Guru ...
Guru
Las Vegas, NV
357 Posts

I'm here, just checked in. I've been reading on line reviews for plasma and LCD TV's for hours and my eyes are going buggy

The wife and I have been talking about getting one for many months now. We are fed up with the local cable service so we are getting DirecTV installed. They say "move your entertainment center away from the wall before service technician arrives" well my entertainment center is the same one I had since college and it's one of those "assemble yourself" jobs. I was sliding it out and the cheap s#!t leg folded over broke and the TV (HEAVY 27" tube job), a bunch of candles in glass jars, speakers, and box set DVDs came crashing down on me. That was the last straw. Tomorrow we're getting a new wall mount 50" plasma TV and a glass wall mount component shelf system. I am so sick of moving this damn entertainment center thing. I've moved it several times now over the last few years and it's always been a major PITA!

Sorry for the rant.
Posted on: 2008/1/6 5:31

1993 triple black roadster 6 speed

Guru
Las Vegas, NV
357 Posts

Quote:
Im here mate I havent cracked open the first beer yet, its about 3:30pm on sunday arvo here, so it wont be far off, then ill be into the Chivas Regal

Well this is a first - Case doing the catching up!! I'm well into the vodka/Kahlua's now. It's 12:30am and I'm still going strong!
Posted on: 2008/1/6 5:33

C4luva RE:All Quiet On C4 Guru ...
Guru Newb
Brisbane,Queensland, Australia,Down under
42 Posts

OOOOOOO "Chivas" no sheep is safe tonite LOL. Just havn a frosty bev myself after getting soaked by a big mother of a storm!! U got it yet Case they tend to head up your way after they,ve had their way with us!!

RRTvette RE:All Quiet On C4 Guru ...
Guru
Bogalusa, LA
50 Posts

I'm usually on here in the evenings and most of the night when I work. Not much of a morning person.

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Brian, have you considered an LCD or DLP video projector?

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Jesus i make one short reply and in that time 4 other people are writting a response!!!

Quote:
Well this is a first - Case doing the catching up!! I'm well into the vodka/Kahlua's now. It's 12:30am and I'm still going strong!

No catching up to be done here mate, its sundee arvo in Australia!!! I was up til 5am today, was going to go back to bed for a while before but i ended up stuck here!!
Quote:
OOOOOOO "Chivas" no sheep is safe tonite LOL. Just havn a frosty bev myself after getting soaked by a big mother of a storm!! U got it yet Case they tend to head up your way after they,ve had their way with us!!

Not here yet mate, im just about to go outside for a Winfield, so ill have a look to the sky and see what i see!!
Posted on: 2008/1/6 5:37

Guru
Las Vegas, NV
357 Posts

Quote:
Brian, have you considered an LCD or DLP video projector?

Friend has LCD projector (it's a few years old)it's nice but it looks like you're looking through a window screen. I haven't seen a DLP projector in person. Do you have one?
Posted on: 2008/1/6 5:39

dan0617 RE:All Quiet On C4 Guru ...
Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

I'm still hanging around. Almost 1:00am here. I watched the 'skins and the Steelers lose I was pulling for both of them. Ooh well, it will soon be Nascar season.
Posted on: 2008/1/6 5:45

j3studio RE:All Quiet On C4 Guru ...
Elite Guru
Western Philadelphia Burbs
4247 Posts

Quote:
Jesus i make one short reply and in that time 4 other people are writing a response!

Methinks you have a bit of a reputation ...

... I'm signing off - see ya'll tomorrow.
Posted on: 2008/1/6 5:46

Guru Newb
42 Posts

5AM WTF!!! She,s a comin mate! Ahhh NASCAR U lucky bastards over there, wish I had a track nearby I don,t care if they go round & round They sound awsesome.
Posted on: 2008/1/6 5:50

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Quote:
Friend has LCD projector (it's a few years old)it's nice but it looks like you're looking through a window screen. I haven't seen a DLP projector in person. Do you have one?

Brian, i do indeed mate, i have 2 of them!! I had a Mitsubishi SEU-1 for about 3 years, 1,200 lumens on full power, 1,000 on economy, and economy was more than bright enough. I sold it a few months back when i felt like getting a new one.

At the moment, ive got the Epson EMP-S4 installed in the lounge room, its 1,800 lumens on full and 1,500 lumens on economy, it stays on economy as well. I recently bought an Epson EMP-S5 for my computer room, same as the S4 pretty much, but 2,000 and 1,600 lumens on the 2 modes. All 3 are 800x600 native, and if you get close youll see the screen door effect, but sitting back in the lounge you dont.

Ill post some pics in a minute mate
Quote:
Methinks you have a bit of a reputation ...

... I'm signing off - see ya'll tomorrow.

HAHAHAHA!!! Is this a good thing or bad? Have a good one mate, see you on again soon
Quote:
5AM WTF!!! She,s a comin mate! Ahhh NASCAR U lucky bastards over there, wish I had a track nearby I don,t care if they go round & round They sound awsesome.

All blue skies out here mate!!! Yeah bloody 5am, and id started work at 6am saturday morning, so i was up at about 4:40am that morning!!
Posted on: 2008/1/6 5:57

Guru
Las Vegas, NV
357 Posts

Thanks Case I'd love to see the pics!

And speaking of pics here is the crap that came crashing down on me:

Resized Image

Case I hate to say it but Mad Max was a willing participant!

Resized Image

Here is my piece of S#!T that broke on me. The leg on the far left (as you fact the unit) folded under an the TV, the crap on top and the crap on the floor came crashing down on me.

I'll enjoy throwing him in the dumpster at work tomorrow
Posted on: 2008/1/6 6:02

cuisinartvette RE:All Quiet On C4 Guru ...
Elite Guru
1782 Posts

10:00 pm here, just having some coffee after dinner enjoying the peace and quiet, heater is on, animals sound asleep on the stairs and catching up on the lateset forum drama lol.
Quiet...Just the way I like it.
Posted on: 2008/1/6 6:04

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Here are thos pics Brian, not as clear as what youd see in the flesh though.

Resized Image
Resized Image

And this one is without the flash:
Resized Image

This is looking backwards, youll see the centre rear speaker in the wall, the projector and amp sitting in the cupboard there
Resized Image

And here is the unit in the lounge room:
Resized Image
Resized Image
Resized Image
Resized Image

Youll see there in the last shot this is while i was doing all this installing, ive got it wired up for 6.1 Dolby Digital, the terminals are all there on the wall for all the speakers. I hadnt put the covers on the speakers yet.
Resized Image
Posted on: 2008/1/6 6:10

Guru Newb
42 Posts

10pm Sat nite and it,s quiet!! U guy,s r soft!!! Thought u,d be a bit more rowdy than that LOL or are there just us old farts with no life on line... HAAAA HAAA Oh by the way it,s 4.09pm in the Sunday arvo over here in OZ..
Posted on: 2008/1/6 6:10

Guru Newb
42 Posts

U bastard Case how good does that look!! Well done I,m so jealous
Posted on: 2008/1/6 6:12

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Quote:
Thanks Case I'd love to see the pics!

And speaking of pics here is the crap that came crashing down on me:

Resized Image

Case I hate to say it but Mad Max was a willing participant!

Resized Image

Here is my piece of S#!T that broke on me. The leg on the far left (as you fact the unit) folded under an the TV, the crap on top and the crap on the floor came crashing down on me.

I'll enjoy throwing him in the dumpster at work tomorrow

Mate that wall behind there looks like it might be just right for a projector too

Quote:
10:00 pm here, just having some coffee after dinner enjoying the peace and quiet, heater is on, animals sound asleep on the stairs and catching up on the lateset forum drama lol.
Quiet...Just the way I like it.

Welcome along mate!! Seems we have inadvertendly started up a chat room!!
Posted on: 2008/1/6 6:18

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Quote:
U bastard Case how good does that look!! Well done I,m so jealous

Ill show ya when you come up soon mate
Posted on: 2008/1/6 6:26

cuisinartvette RE:All Quiet On C4 Guru ...
Elite Guru
1782 Posts

Nice setup, Casey!!
Posted on: 2008/1/6 7:11

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Thanks mate!!

Its time for a quiet beer i think....
http://youtube.com/watch?v=XOVoK0fp8GA&feature=related
Posted on: 2008/1/6 7:38

Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

Dude, that projector is kickazz!!!!!
Posted on: 2008/1/6 16:40

Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

Quote:

Yes, we are lucky here. I live in central PA and my wife and I go to 6 races a year. We camp at the races and it is the best. We have a 28' Outback camper for just the 2 of us, so we aren't cramped! Pull in on Thursday night and start drinking. Don't sober up till Monday morning when we pull out to head home!!! We go to 2 races at Richmond, VA, 2 races at Dover, Delaware (the party track!!!) , the All-Star race at Charlotte, NC, and the fall Martinsville race. I wish I could go to every race. Are the races televised where you are??
Posted on: 2008/1/6 16:44

bogus RE:All Quiet On C4 Guru ...
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Dan - I used to live in Dover, DE! Actually, about 3 miles south, a little town named Wyoming. If the wind was right, I could hear the track during a race.

A good friend of mine does the sign work on the walls. He paints the various "monster racing" things on the actual track walls. If you watch a post Busch race show, and see a really white dude drive a horrible looking Toyota pickup, that's Travis. I have seen him on TV in the background a couple of times.

Another friend of mine works for MRN Radio - Mike Bagley. His folks used to own an ice cream and sandwich shop in Dover.

Brian - Last Christmas we bought ourselves a Vizio 37" 720p LCD. The picture quality is GREAT! We are watching the playoffs in hi-def and the picture is insane! So bright, vivid and sharp. For what we paid ($800.00) I don't think we coulda gotten a better value.

We researched the projector idea and it just didn't work in our livingroom. The wall wasn't quite right and the installation woulda sucked. The other thing is that the bulbs in the projectors are EXPENSIVE. Figure $400 a pop, so to speak . They last about 2000 hrs. That's a lot less than the MTBF estimate of 60k hours for the florescent backlight in the LCD.

I do NOT like plasma... overpriced, in my opinion... and LCD is on it for picture quality.

If you have a Sams Club, I would consider that as a buying option.

My surround system is an older Yamaha/Mirage 5.1. The DVD is a Panasonic DVD RAM (recorder). We have hi-def from the cable company with the hi-def DVR.

I would check Sony, too.
Posted on: 2008/1/6 23:44

Guru
Las Vegas, NV
357 Posts

Well after spending HOURS in the stores checking out all sorts of TVs we ended up with a Sony Bravia 46" LCD. Just got it all hooked up tonight. I'm going to make some dinner and watch an episode of Deadwood then call it a night. From all the reviews I read over the last few days I was sure I wanted a plasma. When we got to the store the LCD, to us, looked much better. Next item on the list is to get DirecTV installed this week.
Posted on: 2008/1/7 4:29

BrianCunningham RE:All Quiet On C4 Guru ...
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

Nice setup

Can you get those in High Def?
Posted on: 2008/1/7 6:12

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Quote:
Nice setup

Can you get those in High Def?

Sure can, you can get a Panasonic that is 6,600 lumens, which is so bright you would easily be able to watch it on your back fence while the sun is shining on it, its capable of alot more than hi definition, and costs about $67,000 AUD last i checked.

How much did you want to spend? There really is no limit!!
Posted on: 2008/1/7 7:34

Guru Newb
42 Posts

Quote:
Yes, we are lucky here. I live in central PA and my wife and I go to 6 races a year. We camp at the races and it is the best. We have a 28' Outback camper for just the 2 of us, so we aren't cramped! Pull in on Thursday night and start drinking. Don't sober up till Monday morning when we pull out to head home!!! We go to 2 races at Richmond, VA, 2 races at Dover, Delaware (the party track!!!) , the All-Star race at Charlotte, NC, and the fall Martinsville race. I wish I could go to every race. Are the races televised where you are??

Hey Dan, I,m Downunder, Yeah I think we can get them here on "PAY" tv I think ESPN do it but that,s a premium package that costs round $99 a mth an I,m to tight to pay that.. Sometimes the local pub has it on and I manage to watch the race an sink a few coldies. Camp,n at the track I like yr style and thats on my goal list next time I,m Stateside They,d only race on those tracks in spring an summer would,nt they?? U get snow in those places around this time of year??
Posted on: 2008/1/7 10:09

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Quote:
We researched the projector idea and it just didn't work in our livingroom. The wall wasn't quite right and the installation woulda sucked. The other thing is that the bulbs in the projectors are EXPENSIVE. Figure $400 a pop, so to speak . They last about 2000 hrs. That's a lot less than the MTBF estimate of 60k hours for the florescent backlight in the LCD.

Bogus, youve been horribly mislead mate. I have alot of projector experience both here and at work, bulbs typically last 3,000 hrs of high setting these days on the cheaper projectors, and cost about $845 AUD for the projector. You cant beat that value for the size you get. Bulbs are the least of your worries. I had the Mitsubishi SEU-1 for over 3 years and had only just gone over 1,000 hrs, last time i looked before my mate took it was 1,042 hrs. It had an estimated life span of 3,000 hours, and in my experience, the bulbs always go to at least 2,900 of those 3,000 hrs, and ive seen a 4,000hr bulb in an Infocus projector at work last 14,763 hrs. Thats over 10,000 hrs more than we paid for, in an environment where people smoked right under it for as long as 16 hrs a day.

Youre dead right about plasma TV though, they burn in the fastest of any display ever made. Early rear projections being the only thing that comes close to this.
Posted on: 2008/1/7 11:01

Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

[quote] They,d only race on those tracks in spring an summer would,nt they?? U get snow in those places around this time of year?? :banghead]

Yes, prettymuch spring and summer. Richmond races are May and September. Dover are June and September. Charlotte is in May. Martinsville, VA is the latest, it is the 3rd week of October. We also take the camper and the kids to Florida every spring and used to stop at the Atlanta, GA race on the way home but now they changed the schedule and made it a week earlier , so we can't make that anymore. Camping is great, and it isn't as barbaric as it sounds. Some people are scruffy, but I take an extra water tank and we shower every day. I can't stand not to. We also take a generator and have A/C and prettymuch every other amenitie that one has at home. It really is great.
Posted on: 2008/1/7 14:37

Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

BOGUS:
I believe I've heard Mike Bagley on the radio, not 100% sure but the name sounds very familiar. We have a scanner and listen to MRN quite a bit during the race. I also think I've seen the old Toyota pickup. Does he usually take people out on the track in the bed of the truck?? We watch every race on the race weekends we go to, and we hang around and watch the post race stuff since we don't have to go anywhere other than a walk over to the camper. That's cool that you used to live right there. I can't believe how many campers are there, it is unreal. We live near where most of the Dover Millionaires live and join their party down there a couple nights in Lot 10 camping. I don't know if you have heard of them but they are a group that take 3 modified schoolbuses down. 1 for supplies and 2 for bunks. Their goal is to collect a million or more (hence millionaires) pop can tabs for children's chairties. They are a good bunch and are getting more and more well known. They only go to the fall Dover race.
Posted on: 2008/1/7 14:45

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.