Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
266 user(s) are online (220 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Weather Stripping
It should be soft and pliable. Tears, rips and holes are red flags that the seals are bad.

Corvette weather stripping is a known problem. Replaci...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Tom76043 95 starts but dies in about 15 seconds
Guru Newb
Texas
24 Posts

I have a 95 LT1 which now will start but dies within about 15 to 20 seconds after start.
CCM code shows DTC 41
ECM code shows ERR

This all took place after replacing the heater core myself, on the initial start after the heater core replacement. I am not sure what the DTC 41 code on the CCM is, and it appears that the ECM is not responding to the CCM request for error codes. Module 9 and module A are also giving the ERR on the code scans.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Tom
Posted on: 2012/2/20 2:52
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Woodstock Re: 95 starts but dies in about 15 seconds
Senior Guru
Bremen/Germany
369 Posts

You could check the ECM/CCM fuse. Other than that from experience it's usually the ECM that's shot with these kind of DTCs.
Posted on: 2012/2/20 3:04

josephf31 Re: 95 starts but dies in about 15 seconds
Senior Guru
New Jersey
375 Posts

Quote:

Tom76043 wrote:
I have a 95 LT1 which now will start but dies within about 15 to 20 seconds after start.
CCM code shows DTC 41
ECM code shows ERR

This all took place after replacing the heater core myself, on the initial start after the heater core replacement. I am not sure what the DTC 41 code on the CCM is, and it appears that the ECM is not responding to the CCM request for error codes. Module 9 and module A are also giving the ERR on the code scans.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Tom

Shot in the dark based on my experiences, gotta be fuel; check the filter first then pump/pickup/etc.
Posted on: 2012/2/20 3:07

Tom76043 Re: 95 starts but dies in about 15 seconds
Guru Newb
Texas
24 Posts

Thanks, I have checked the fuses and they are good. I am thinking the ECM is bad, but wondering why I can't get codes from the ECM or the ABS/ASR modules through the CCM.

Tom
Posted on: 2012/2/20 3:12

bogus Re: 95 starts but dies in about 15 seconds
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I am curious myself. It sounds like the CCM is having issues...

I would check the fuel filter... but code 41 is a comm error... that is bad.
Posted on: 2012/2/20 3:22

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Guru Newb
Texas
24 Posts

Car was running great last week prior to the heater core replacement. Last year after buying the vette, had a chevy dealer go through the entire fuel system as it was dry when I purchased it. The car had been sitting for 3 years in a garage since the owner died. I put a battery on it and put fuel in it, but was unable to start, and so had it towed to the chevy dealer.

95 Corvette
Tom
Posted on: 2012/2/20 3:28

Guru Newb
Texas
24 Posts

On reassembly of the heater core replacement, I made a mistake with the two large wire harness connectors in the passenger side foot well and got the two connectors crossed. The car would not do anything when I reconnected the battery, no ignition power and I started checking the wiring harnesses I had disconnected. That is when I found the two connectors were crossed and corrected that problem. The car started right up but died in about 15 seconds. It will start right up every time but will not continue to run.
I did not pull the CCM or any connections at the CCM. What is the chance that crossing the wiring harnesses fried the PROM in the ECM? Can the PROM be replaced, or do you have to replace the whole ECM?

95 Corvette,
Tom
Posted on: 2012/2/20 3:35

1Fast04Vert Re: 95 starts but dies in about 15 seconds
Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

No prom in a 95 PCM. Contact Brian at pcm4less.com to see if he can check it for you.
Posted on: 2012/2/20 3:47

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

Tom76043 wrote: On reassembly of the heater core replacement, I made a mistake with the two large wire harness connectors in the passenger side foot well and got the two connectors crossed. The car would not do anything when I reconnected the battery, no ignition power and I started checking the wiring harnesses I had disconnected. That is when I found the two connectors were crossed and corrected that problem. The car started right up but died in about 15 seconds. It will start right up every time but will not continue to run. I did not pull the CCM or any connections at the CCM. What is the chance that crossing the wiring harnesses fried the PROM in the ECM? Can the PROM be replaced, or do you have to replace the whole ECM? 95 Corvette, Tom

There is a chance that the CCM and or the PCM were fried by that crossing of connectors. I am actually surprised they allow that to happen, GM never puts the same connector next to each other like that.

As stated, there is no PROM, but, PCMs are rather cheap. Check our Sponsoring Vendor K&B Corvette Products for a new PCM. They may also be able to fix the existing. 

Posted on: 2012/2/20 4:39

Guru Newb
Texas
24 Posts

Thanks Bogus, will look into a new pcm.

tom
Posted on: 2012/2/20 4:43

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Tom - Welcome aboard!

How did you find us?
Posted on: 2012/2/20 4:44

Guru Newb
Texas
24 Posts

Bogus,
I had a 93 LT1 coupe in 2009 (my first corvette) with 138K miles on it. Bought it to help a friend who had been laid off work and really liked the car. I am semi retired from nuclear power and while tinkering on the various problems with the 93, the previous owner had given me a printout of the trouble codes for the car as well as a set of the FSM. The code printout was from C4Guru so when the 95 problems arose yesterday, I started looking for the website.

Would a failed ECM/PCM cause the communication failure on module 9 also? If I disconnect the battery and then reconnect the battery, the CCM will give me a C12 just before it gives the C41 code. This makes me believe the CCM is OK.

Tom
Posted on: 2012/2/20 14:29

BillH Re: 95 starts but dies in about 15 seconds
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Tom76043 wrote:
Would a failed ECM/PCM cause the communication failure on module 9 also? If I disconnect the battery and then reconnect the battery, the CCM will give me a C12 just before it gives the C41 code. This makes me believe the CCM is OK.

Tom

Welcome aboard, Tom, glad to have you here.

I'd like to clarify a few things, if I could.

Are you reading codes on the dash and not with a code reader?
And are you grounding pins 12 & 4 on the ADL ?

The DTC 41 is in module 1.1 ?
And the ERR is module 4.1 ?

The CCM may be OK with the C12 showing up, it takes a few seconds to check the communications (and then throw the 41).
It's possible that this may be why it starts for a few seconds (that's a guess). Some things happen different in start mode vs run mode.
I don't have a 95 FSM but will have a 94 FSM here tomorrow or Wed.
Posted on: 2012/2/20 15:14

Guru Newb
Texas
24 Posts

That is correct. I am jumpering 4 to 12 on the DLC and reading the codes on the speedometer. the 41 code is from module 1 (CCM) and the rest of the modules give the Err. I have a set of FSM for a 93 and a new set for the 95 was ordered last week and should get here soon. I know there are differences, but don't know all the details of the differences. I have an OBDII code reader, but don't think it would work on the 95, and probably don't need it with the ability to read from the vehicle. I can get one if it is necessary.

Tom
95 LT1 Coupe
Posted on: 2012/2/20 15:25

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
There is a chance that the CCM and or the PCM were fried by that crossing of connectors. I am actually surprised they allow that to happen, GM never puts the same connector next to each other like that.

>

Yes, it would be hard to do but I'm not saying it would be impossible.
These connectors are keyed in the housing. While, they are the same size (and number of pins), there are 4 keys in the housings, 3 on the top and 1 on the bottom (plastic tabs with the corresponding slots in the other connector half).
The position of these keys is very different on each or the 3 connectors, it really should be impossible to plug these connectors in wrong.
The pins in the housing are much deeper than the plastic keys so I'd think that plugging the wrong connectors together wouldn't let the pins and sockets touch.

BTW, Tom I was in the connector industry for 20 years.

If it was possible to put the wrong connectors together AND make contact with the pins and sockets, there's a change that the ECM could be fried. Pin 17 on one connector is ECM ground, pin 17 on another connector is ECM hot (this is on a 92, I'll have a 94 FSM this week to take a look at the pin placement).
Posted on: 2012/2/20 15:30

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Tom76043 wrote:
That is correct. I am jumpering 4 to 12 on the DLC and reading the codes on the speedometer. the 41 code is from module 1 (CCM) and the rest of the modules give the Err. I have a set of FSM for a 93 and a new set for the 95 was ordered last week and should get here soon. I know there are differences, but don't know all the details of the differences. I have an OBDII code reader, but don't think it would work on the 95, and probably don't need it with the ability to read from the vehicle. I can get one if it is necessary.

Tom
95 LT1 Coupe

Thanks, Tom.
No, the ODB II won't read a 95. The 95 is ODBI with an ODB II connector.

The FSM (92) does have a blip on forcing the connectors together and possible resulting damage (check "CCM" in your 93 FSM, should be in 8C-whatever page). Of course it doesn't say jack about what to do if you cross the connectors.
Posted on: 2012/2/20 15:38

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Tom, when you trun the key on (but not to start), is the service engine soon light on and steady?

Also, I thought you might try turning the key to "run" and doing a 10 count before you try to start it (to see if lost communications won't let it start at all).
Posted on: 2012/2/20 16:02

Guru Newb
Texas
24 Posts

Bill,
I am not getting the service engine soon light. Everything is normal except for the SYS pop up on the speedo when you turn on the key.
The connectors were not hard to connect.
I had to leave town for a couple of days this am, and will check the connectors to see if I pushed a contact out when I got them crossed, but they seem to slide together very easily.

What is involved with replacing the PCM? I have read that it may be necessary to have it flashed at a dealership. I assume that "flash" means to install the vehicle specific program. What is the cost involved with the flash, and time period. I am ready to get back in the vette. My jeep is fun to drive, but not as much fun.

Tom
Posted on: 2012/2/20 19:20

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I am not even going to try to answer this problem directly... but I am going to lay out some theory of operation, so we can put some thought into a possible solution. See the PDF for some details.

I am concerned about the problems outlined above. If you are not seeing comm between the CCM and the outside world, something is really wrong.

I would get back into the dash and be sure the harnesses there are correct.

All the items on the chain utilize what is called a UART - Universal Asynchronis Receive/Transmit - chip. When these fail, that's when you get the C41 error.

Technically speaking, there are 2 UARTS on the CCM and on the PCM. There is a tan wire that runs off each port, then merges into one wire, goes through the firewall and then splits back to the CCM or PCM, however which way you want to view it. If one fails, the others keep trucking. If the main tan wire gets cut, oopsie, the CCM and PCM no longer talk.

I don't think all other items have 2 UARTS, perhaps the EBCM does.

Does the car still to the 15 second trick? Or does it not want to start at all?

Perhaps the pdf will help make sense of what is happening.

Attach file:

pdf Late Model VATS.pdf Size: 59.54 KB; Hits: 175
Posted on: 2012/2/20 20:21

josephf31 Re: 95 starts but dies in about 15 seconds
Senior Guru
New Jersey
375 Posts

Quote:

The FSM (92) does have a blip on forcing the connectors together and possible resulting damage (check "CCM" in your 93 FSM, should be in 8C-whatever page). Of course it doesn't say jack about what to do if you cross the connectors.

Yep crossing the streams is bad :-)
Posted on: 2012/2/20 21:23

Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

Call Bryan Herter at pcm4less - 724-349-4431, between 9Am and 7PM eastern time. It won't cost you anything to talk to him and he is about as good as you will get with this kind of problem.
Posted on: 2012/2/20 21:29

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Tom76043 wrote:
Bill,
I am not getting the service engine soon light. Everything is normal except for the SYS pop up on the speedo when you turn on the key.

Tom

If you are not seeing the SES light when you first turn the key on, there can easily be a connection problem or a bad ECM. With the key on and the engine stopped, that bulb gets direct ignition voltage (it's turned on differently when the engine is running and the ECM grounds that circuit to indicate a problem).

There's a procedure to check that with a test light, but wait until you get the 95 FSM to do it.
Posted on: 2012/2/20 23:15

Guru Newb
Texas
24 Posts

Man, what a forum! You guys (gals) are tremendous.
I am away from home yesterday and today, but should be back home tomorrow. Had to make a run to check on my parents and wife's parents.
Will check on the SES light to see if it comes on when the key is in the run position. My recollection is that currently, turning the key to run everything looks normal to me, but not sure if "normal" included the SES light. If the SES light normally comes on in run, then it is probably coming on.

Will try and contact Bryan at pcm4less. Did not get an answer on the first try, but left a message.
Still curious as to what is involved with changing the pcm out, is it a purchase and replace or will it have to be "flashed ??" prior to installation. What information is required for the flash?

I really appreciate all the support from this forum,

Tom
Posted on: 2012/2/21 15:39
Edited by Tom76043 on 2012/2/21 16:18:55

Guru Newb
Texas
24 Posts

Steve at pcmforless returned my call and is sending a new pcm today. Will let you know how this goes when it gets here.
Really enjoyed the help and discussions from this forum and will stay tuned in with this forum.

Thanks,
Tom
Posted on: 2012/2/21 16:28

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I will be curious if the PCM fixes this... Also, check the fuse to the EBCM.

Keep us posted!!!
Posted on: 2012/2/21 19:40

Guru Newb
Texas
24 Posts

Back home now.
Should have a new pcm in a couple of days. I am not putting the dash back together until the new pcm gets installed.

The ABS/ASR fuses are good. The EBDTCM fuses are good.

No SES light at any time. But still the SYS on the speedo when placing the key in run.

Putting the key in run and then waiting for over 15 seconds had no effect, the car still starts and then dies. You can immediately restart the engine without turning off the key.

I will post the results after installing the new pcm.

Thanks for all the support,

Tom
Posted on: 2012/2/21 23:26

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Tom76043 wrote:
Back home now.
No SES light at any time. But still the SYS on the speedo when placing the key in run.

Tom

Then you have to disconnect the ECM connector and probe the SES light circuit with a test light to ground. It's circuit 419, brown/white on a 92.
If the light comes on doing this, the connection or the ECM (PCM) is bad.
Posted on: 2012/2/21 23:40

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

this is odd. Using the logic of my pdf, the car should not start at all... let alone for 15 seconds.

Something is outta whack in that PCM... or CCM...

Dbl check all fuses and good luck.
Posted on: 2012/2/21 23:40

Guru Newb
Texas
24 Posts

Bill H,

Disregard this note.

The 95 circuit is the same. I got my 95 FSMs an hour or so ago.
Probe the ECM side or the wire connector (circuit side)? Key in run or off?

Thanks,
Tom
Posted on: 2012/2/22 0:11
Edited by Tom76043 on 2012/2/22 0:27:03

Guru Newb
Texas
24 Posts

Bill,
The test light will come on for circuit 419. This is the plug side (wiring side) of the connection.

Thanks,
Tom
Posted on: 2012/2/22 0:24

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Tom76043 wrote:
Bill,
The test light will come on for circuit 419. This is the plug side (wiring side) of the connection.

Thanks,
Tom

The SES light should come on also (that insures it's not a bad bulb or connection in that one circuit, the SES light).

So , That's a good indication on a bad PMC connection or a bad PCM.
Posted on: 2012/2/22 0:43

Guru Newb
Texas
24 Posts

New pcm arrived this am and ALL is well in the world here at my house.

Last night did some exploring and this is a warning to all out there with C4s. The two 23 pin connectors under the right hand dash can be easily crossed. The male ends will go into the female ends without resistance. There are also two 10 pin connectors under there and they also will cross connect with no resistance. At least it is that way on my 95.
Mark your plugs when you disconnect of ensure correct reconnection.

I really appreciate all the support from this forum and will remain involved. Maybe some day I can provide a little knowledge to the group,

Thanks,
Tom
Posted on: 2012/2/22 20:18

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Posted on: 2012/2/22 20:22

Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

Good deal. I knew pcm4less might be the answer. That and their customer service is outstanding.
Posted on: 2012/2/22 21:06

Matatk Re: 95 starts but dies in about 15 seconds
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

I'm glad you got it fixed and we were able to help! We're here for all kinds of other things, too, so stick around!
Posted on: 2012/2/22 22:10

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Excellent!

Glad you found it and at a reasonable price for the fix!!

Thank you for the advice on the connectors.
Posted on: 2012/2/22 22:13

Guru Newb
Texas
24 Posts

Thanks again for the support. The pcmforless guys are good. Got the pcm programmed and here in about 24 hours.

Tom
Posted on: 2012/2/23 0:01

Arisa Re: 95 starts but dies in about 15 seconds
Guru Newb
Laurel DE
37 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
I am actually surprised they allow that to happen, GM never puts the same connector next to each other like

Like hell they don't !!!!

The four pin IAC and ignition control plugs on Arisa are IDENTICAL, same color and length from the breakout of the wiring harness.

How do I know? Two weeks of hell when I rebuilt her in '01. Spent damn near a grand replacing stuff that might have gone wrong during install. Finally found it cause I tore the wiring harness apart tracking wires to see if I had cut one.
Posted on: 2012/3/4 15:20

Guru Newb
Texas
24 Posts

Been about a week since pcm replaced. No problems, runs great and no rattles from the dash! I think that pcmforless got rid of the one to four lockout in the new pcm. In any case, it is not coming in and that is worth the entire cost of the pcm replacement IMO.
I have the old pcm and wondering if I should find someone to rebuild and hold for future problems?

Thanks,
Tom
Posted on: 2012/3/4 15:54

Matatk Re: 95 starts but dies in about 15 seconds
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Maybe PCM4less will buy the core if you don't want it?
Posted on: 2012/3/4 16:00

Guru Newb
Texas
24 Posts

I think I would keep it just in case someone has to have the car and wants the original parts. I don't believe a repair could be very expensive and I like having backup parts.

Thanks,
Tom
Posted on: 2012/3/4 17:56

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

Arisa wrote:
Quote:

bogus wrote:
I am actually surprised they allow that to happen, GM never puts the same connector next to each other like

Like hell they don't !!!!

The four pin IAC and ignition control plugs on Arisa are IDENTICAL, same color and length from the breakout of the wiring harness.

How do I know? Two weeks of hell when I rebuilt her in '01. Spent damn near a grand replacing stuff that might have gone wrong during install. Finally found it cause I tore the wiring harness apart tracking wires to see if I had cut one.

That is so wrong.
Posted on: 2012/3/4 23:32

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

Tom76043 wrote:
Been about a week since pcm replaced. No problems, runs great and no rattles from the dash! I think that pcmforless got rid of the one to four lockout in the new pcm. In any case, it is not coming in and that is worth the entire cost of the pcm replacement IMO.
I have the old pcm and wondering if I should find someone to rebuild and hold for future problems?

Thanks,
Tom

Congrats!

If you want it fixed, K&B should be able to.
Posted on: 2012/3/4 23:33

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.