Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
208 user(s) are online (157 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  TPI
Tuned Port Injection. A method of fuel injection, used on the early C4 Corvette L98 motor, (1985-1991). ...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Crazy8 Need pics 6 pt cage w/ racing seats
Senior Guru
Lake Worth, FL
125 Posts

I am trying to figure out if I can put a 6 point cage in my 86 with Corbeau A4 seats. When I test fitted my seats in the car, I can't see how I could have the cage in, without having my ribs up against the cage. May have to re-think whether I want a car in the 10's or upper 11's. So, any pictures of how your 6 point cage runs along the seats/doors would be great. Thanks in advance.
Posted on: 2008/1/25 15:59
2007 Dodge Charger Daytona R/T - Plum Crazy #981 of 1400
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

SpectatorRacing Re: Need pics 6 pt cage w/ racing seats
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Quote:
I am trying to figure out if I can put a 6 point cage in my 86 with Corbeau A4 seats. When I test fitted my seats in the car, I can't see how I could have the cage in, without having my ribs up against the cage. May have to re-think whether I want a car in the 10's or upper 11's. So, any pictures of how your 6 point cage runs along the seats/doors would be great. Thanks in advance.

I have lots...I'll post some later tonight as I don't have access to photobucket during the day.

Or PM me your email, I have a few here, although they focus on the attachment points.
Posted on: 2008/1/25 16:21

CFI-EFI Re: Need pics 6 pt cage w/ racing seats
Senior Guru
Top of Utah
372 Posts

Quote:
May have to re-think whether I want a car in the 10's or upper 11's. So, any pictures of how your 6 point cage runs along the seats/doors would be great. Thanks in advance.
There is a big difference between "10's" and "upper 11's" With a coupe, you need no bars until you dip under 11.00. Then you need a roll BAR, (5 or 6 points) which is good down to 10.00. Below 10.00 (in a coupe) you will need a roll CAGE. A CAGE has 8, and most likely, more "points". If it turns out you have a convertible, I can give you the ET requirements for both the bar and the cage for it, too.

RACE ON!!!
Posted on: 2008/1/25 16:49

Crazy8 RE:Need pics 6 pt cage w/ racing seats
Senior Guru
Lake Worth, FL
125 Posts

For the series that I run, if you go below 11.49 in the quarter, you need a 5 or 6 point roll bar. Once you are below 10's, yes you need a cage. I just generalized the terms. Since I don't think I have the room for a 6 point roll bar without giving up too much comfort (also plan on driving the car around), I may have to focus on just getting enough power to be in the 11.6 second range.
Posted on: 2008/1/25 17:04
2007 Dodge Charger Daytona R/T - Plum Crazy #981 of 1400

SpectatorRacing Re: Need pics 6 pt cage w/ racing seats
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
May have to re-think whether I want a car in the 10's or upper 11's. So, any pictures of how your 6 point cage runs along the seats/doors would be great. Thanks in advance.
There is a big difference between "10's" and "upper 11's" With a coupe, you need no bars until you dip under 11.00. Then you need a roll BAR, (5 or 6 points) which is good down to 10.00. Below 10.00 (in a coupe) you will need a roll CAGE. A CAGE has 8, and most likely, more "points". If it turns out you have a convertible, I can give you the ET requirements for both the bar and the cage for it, too.

RACE ON!!!

How do you get 8 mounting points on a Corvette? Go though the firewall into the front suspension?

I don't know drag racing rules, but the road racing cages have six points - a main hoop, two bars that extend rearward, and two bars that exted along the roof and down to the floor below the dash. Obviuosly there are multiple structural bars between the main frame, but they don't actually hit the vehicle frame.

Going through the firewall would add stiffness, but not much safety.
Posted on: 2008/1/25 18:30

CFI-EFI Re: Need pics 6 pt cage w/ racing seats
Senior Guru
Top of Utah
372 Posts

Quote:
How do you get 8 mounting points on a Corvette? Go though the firewall into the front suspension?.
Often. The pic shows what CAN be fitted inside of the cabin. Many cages have bars on either side of the car that run forward of where the red cross bar, that I have drawn, in meets the front down bars, through the firewall and ties into the front frame.

Quote:
I don't know drag racing rules, but the road racing cages have six points - a main hoop, two bars that extend rearward, and two bars that exted along the roof and down to the floor below the dash.
THAT describes a roll BAR. What distinguishes a BAR from a CAGE is that a BAR is a hoop, as you described, with the appropriate bracing.. A CAGE has a halo, that surrounds the driver and is tied to the frame. The halo, in my pic, is supported by a hoop in the rear and the front downbars in the front.

Resized Image

RACE ON!!!
Posted on: 2008/1/25 19:47

SpectatorRacing RE:Need pics 6 pt cage w/ racing seats
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

The cage I have is exactly what you have shown in the picture with a few exceptions - My front lower attachements do penetrate the firewall and attach to the vehicle frame about 6 inches forward of the firewall.

I don't have the bars that come off of the crossbar behind the driver and appear to go nowhere...

I also have a diagonal bar in the halo which goes from the driver front to passenger rear.

And lastly I have NASCAR door bars, two parallel bars which go into the door frame out to the outer skin.

In my description in the earlier post I only referenced the attachment points to the frame, of course we have requirements for the halo, etc. Although strangely, the crossbar along the inside of the firewall under the dash is not required, but just about everyone has one.

So I'm still unclear - where is the 7th and 8th attachment point? Those two bars off the crossmember behind the driver? To what do they attach in a vette, there's just the fiberglass tub at that location...

Unless we're talking about different things when we say 6 or 8 points. I consider a "point" to be an attachment to the vehicle frame.
Posted on: 2008/1/25 20:25

CFI-EFI RE:Need pics 6 pt cage w/ racing seats
Senior Guru
Top of Utah
372 Posts

Quote:
Unless we're talking about different things when we say 6 or 8 points. I consider a "point" to be an attachment to the vehicle frame.
We do agree on the definition of a "point". That is a generic pic, I "borrowed" from somewhere to show the difference between a bar and a cage. It isn't Corvette specific. A cross member could be fabricated to accept the mystery bars you refer to. Without the "mystery bars", but WITH the through the firewall bars, you have 8 points. I am not a chassis builder. I am just trying to help with some basic definitions and NHRA requirements. If necessary, I CAN study up on them.

RACE ON!!!
Posted on: 2008/1/26 1:24

SpectatorRacing RE:Need pics 6 pt cage w/ racing seats
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Quote:
If necessary, I CAN study up on them.

I don't think that'll be necessary...

It looks like the rules are basically the same between drag and open track, with the possible exception of door bars. Although I've heard that drag cars were beginning to use double bars as well, is there a possible rule change coming up for that, or is side impact still considered rare?
Posted on: 2008/1/26 17:58

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.