Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
237 user(s) are online (202 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Driver Information Center
Also known as the DIC.

This is the display readout panel on the dash. It's above the radio for 1984-1989; above the climate controls, 1990-1996.
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

vetteblondie HAIER 42 in plasma troubles
Master Guru
Jonesboro, AR
4648 Posts

This is a 42 in plasma EDTV by Haier, 17 months old, no warranty anymore, screen simply quit. POOF! Upon investigation, both Sears and Haier seem to dodge responsibility and this appears to be a very common problem with my model. Posts have been made about some board issue as well as some kind of 'update'? Anyone hear of this or know of a solution? Much appreciated. I can't afford another dang tv, vette is still in the shop and that comes first.
Posted on: 2008/1/28 1:00
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

CasetheCorvetteman RE:HAIER 42 in plasma troubles
Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Unplug it from the wall and wait a while, i dont know that brand so i dont know if that will work, but i know it works on some of the LGs and it works on some of the Conia brand of TVs.
Posted on: 2008/1/28 1:08

TommyT-Bone RE:HAIER 42 in plasma troubles
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Unfortunately, when you don't take out an extended warranty, your stuck holding the bag. Unless you charged it on a major credit card that doubles the factory warranty. Then you can file a claim with your credit card company. After 12 months you know that neither Sears nor the manufacturer want a Haier up their ass. Next option is a reliable local TV/Electronics repairman. They usually have a minimum charge if you decide not to go on with the repair after a diagnosis. Good luck. Oh ya, check to see if it has a reset button or circuit breaker.
Posted on: 2008/1/28 1:11

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Plasma TVs are the worst TVs in the history of TVs. They burn in the fastest of all TVs ever made, the picture is not as good as CRT can be, their life span is short, they use ALOT of power for their small size, and they are usually very expensive to repair unless its a common issue that the same repair person has fixed many times before.
Posted on: 2008/1/28 1:24

bogus RE:HAIER 42 in plasma troubles
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

here is what you do.

Take out the word processor and write a letter. You got it. Write a letter.

One to Haier and CC the US FTC. I am betting that if this is as big a problem as I suspect it is (from what you are saying) it's time for a product recall. It might take a few months, but I would bet that if everyone you encounter on the various forums start doing the same thing, it will result in change.

If nothing else, the letter to corporate might just wake them up and get you fixed up.

Several years ago, my mom had a Mitsubishi 27" colour TV (CRT). The tube started turning green at the top. I took it in and they found that the CRT was bad, as was the tuner and one speaker.

Talk about junk. It was only about 4 years old, and at the time, it was a $600+ TV!

I called Mitsu about it, and they covered half the repair.

The repair only held another 3 years or so... most disappointing, really... the tuner took another crap. But the point was made.

And Casey is right, plasma sucks. I much prefer the LCD. We have a Vizio, not the best, but gee, for about $800 a year ago, it wasn't a bad deal! And the picture is really nice!
Posted on: 2008/1/28 2:06

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

LCD is the best of the best, the only area it lacks is black level. Not that it matters to me
Posted on: 2008/1/28 2:25

vetteblondie RE:HAIER 42 in plasma troubles
Master Guru
Jonesboro, AR
4648 Posts

Thank you all for the help, I've decided to call a repairman, he is looking into it for me on some of his forums he is a member of specifically for tv repairman. He asked that I give him a couple of days. And yes, the tv was put on a credit card, but no help there. I have spotted a Visio 50in I may get as a replacement and then fix this one anyway and give it to my mother. As, with the new 'digital
conversion' coming in '09 hers will have to have a special box in order to work. This will solve her problem and give her a larger television.
We will see what the repairman says. I do dread it tho....
Posted on: 2008/1/28 2:50

Oaklands RE:HAIER 42 in plasma troubles
Senior Guru
Morristown, TN
480 Posts

Quote:
Plasma TVs are the worst TVs in the history of TVs. They burn in the fastest of all TVs ever made, the picture is not as good as CRT can be, their life span is short, they use ALOT of power for their small size, and they are usually very expensive to repair unless its a common issue that the same repair person has fixed many times before.

That's not necessarily true of the newer models. The original plasmas are nothing like the products that are coming out these days. I have a Panasonic and it has performed great. Due to the amount of the investment I did take out a 3 year warranty with it.

I have not heard of the Haier brand, but my recommendation to anyone would be to purchase a Pioneer or Panasonic.

You are right about the repair bills. They will be high, but I would think a big LCD would be fairly expensive as well. With our country moving to Digital people have some decisions to make. My choice was plasma due to quality of picture. The newer models are supposed to have the same lifespan of most other sets.
Posted on: 2008/1/28 3:00

Master Guru
Jonesboro, AR
4648 Posts

This set was on clearance for only $700 from the original $1599, plus being a plasma, it had the better quality. But dang for $400 to fix, crap I'm not getting anywhere.... I just want the best picture and biggest tv for the least amount of money - doesn't anyone?
Posted on: 2008/1/28 3:05

Senior Guru
Morristown, TN
480 Posts

[quote]Thank you all for the help, I've decided to call a repairman, he is looking into it for me on some of his forums he is a member of specifically for tv repairman. He asked that I give him a couple of days. And yes, the tv was put on a credit card, but no help there. I have spotted a Visio 50in I may get as a replacement and then fix this one anyway and give it to my mother. As, with the new 'digital
conversion' coming in '09 hers will have to have a special box in order to work. This will solve her problem and give her a larger television.
We will see what the repairman says. I do dread it tho.... :banghead]

Please, I am not good with cars, but when it comes to electronics I can offer some advice. Stay away from the Vizio. If you want a reasonably priced plasma, get the Panasonic TH-50PX75U. It was rated a best buy by Consumer Reports. I own this TV and can vouch for the quality. I did a great deal of research (before Consumer Reports came out with the BB) and went with this plasma. The Vizio's have quite a few issues and it is very hard to calibrate them.

Go to this forum and read up on some of the information. I have been a member there for a while. It is a good place to review many different brands. Overall you will find the Pioneer is the best and the Panasonic is 2nd. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=843204 Good luck and let me know if I can be of any help.

I do agree with Bogus and others, that you should write a letter and point out that you have seen this problem to be an issue with this particular model. They will probably work with you on it.

Keith
Posted on: 2008/1/28 3:07

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Plasma is plasma, they are all a phosphor type display, they all burn in, and the picture on all of them is quite poor when compared to LCD or projection.

Youre 100% correct about Panasonic, they are the only TVs you can buy over here still made in Japan, and they are the only units that do have a reasonable picture.

You can buy an exceptionally bright and powerful LCD or DLP projector for the same money as that little Panasonic though, and the picture will be better on both at something as tiny as 50 inch.
Posted on: 2008/1/28 3:22

Senior Guru
Morristown, TN
480 Posts

There is more than just the phosphorous components in a plasma. You have to be able to control how it burns. All of them come from the factory in "flame mode" set way to high in colors and brightness. I had mine ISF tuned and the picture is something to be seen. LCD cannot compete on the black and will not give you the fluid motion of watching sports.
Posted on: 2008/1/28 3:47

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

I dont know, my 2 LCD projectors have VERY fluid motion and no tracer effect like ive seen on some plasmas. I play alot of video games at times, so still images will kill a plasma the way i use it (and they simply are too small for me these days)

There are some good screen setup items you can get, some are still shots with instructions, some are on DVD with instructions as they play, i set my other projector up with some still shots and it was perfect.

Back when i used to have the Panasonic rear projection, i re-focused all 3 tubes so the 3 colours were all shooting the same size image, even though the wide screen Panasonic i had used a 9 point convergence system, that caused some very minor image distorsion that i could see because the blue picture was slightly larger than the rest. I rented a DVD that had all the setup paterns on it so i could get the levels set right, it had 2 modes, so i set one for day and one for night. I set a heap of rear projection CRTs and it was incredible how much better the picture was when set correctly
Posted on: 2008/1/28 4:27

bogus RE:HAIER 42 in plasma troubles
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

We have just spent the last 15 or 20 minutes watching the US Figure Skating Championships and there are zero signs of tracers or shadows.
Posted on: 2008/1/28 4:47

Master Guru
Jonesboro, AR
4648 Posts

Thanks for all the help. I have emailed Haier, and they are corresponding with me. They've asked for my address for a service schedule and I will give it to them on the condition we discuss money before anyone sets foot in here. From other postings I've seen, the payment responsibility falls to the consumer, but I will see what I can get even if I have to blink my eyelashes a lot (LOL). At any rate, I need a tv!!!!!!
I've been told by others as well that Panasonic is the way to go.
Posted on: 2008/1/29 0:20

Master Guru
Jonesboro, AR
4648 Posts

Quote:
[quote]Thank you all for the help, I've decided to call a repairman, he is looking into it for me on some of his forums he is a member of specifically for tv repairman. He asked that I give him a couple of days. And yes, the tv was put on a credit card, but no help there. I have spotted a Visio 50in I may get as a replacement and then fix this one anyway and give it to my mother. As, with the new 'digital
We will see what the repairman says. I do dread it tho.... :banghead]

Please, I am not good with cars, but when it comes to electronics I can offer some advice. Stay away from the Vizio. If you want a reasonably priced plasma, get the Panasonic TH-50PX75U. It was rated a best buy by Consumer Reports. I own this TV and can vouch for the quality. I did a great deal of research (before Consumer Reports came out with the BB) and went with this plasma. The Vizio's have quite a few issues and it is very hard to calibrate them.

I just checked this one out, but it says only 720p, don't I want the 1080i?

Go to this forum and read up on some of the information. I have been a member there for a while. It is a good place to review many different brands. Overall you will find the Pioneer is the best and the Panasonic is 2nd. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=843204 Good luck and let me know if I can be of any help.

I do agree with Bogus and others, that you should write a letter and point out that you have seen this problem to be an issue with this particular model. They will probably work with you on it.

Keith
Posted on: 2008/1/29 1:08

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

As far as TVs go, i wouldnt buy other than Panasonic.
Posted on: 2008/1/29 8:20

mseven RE:HAIER 42 in plasma troubles
Senior Guru
Motor City Madhouse
247 Posts

cheaper and older pasma's have a short lamp life (some as short as 5000 hrs.)and replacing the lamp can cost as much as the set.
I own a 52" sony XBR3 , if I were to buy a plasma ,the Pioneer Elite is the one to have.
Yes , want to learn go here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/
Posted on: 2008/1/29 14:21

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Plasma TVs dont have lamps mate, they are luminous phosphor type displays.

LCD have a back light.
Posted on: 2008/1/30 6:28

EcoVette RE:HAIER 42 in plasma troubles
Guru Newb
Planet Earth
31 Posts

I bought my 42in Haier last year just befor the Superbowl. absolutly love it, HOWEVER, sometimes the picture gets a little freaky. so, for lack of better terms I have to "reboot" the set and it's fine.

I do know the life of a plasme tube IS about 5 years under normal viewing conditions. but like any other screen, LCD included, a stationary picture for any length of time WILL burn in.

LCD's have a limited viewing angle where as plasma does not or should I say plasma is limited only by the thickness of it's glass screen panel.

And finally, I pd $1200.00 for my set last year, and if I get 3 years out of it it's about $1.10 a day, and 5 yrs = .65 cents a day. Less then Starbucks, I can certainly accept that considering the technological advances.
Posted on: 2008/2/1 17:23

Master Guru
Jonesboro, AR
4648 Posts

Although I do agree with you, this set is only 15 months old or so, and already out and fwiw, I don't watch a lot of tv to begin with. So my price per day is quite high. Still, a set should last WAAAAAYYYYY longer than this. I've researched online and have found this to be a very common problem with my particular model......
Waiting on call from service center 4th day now....
Posted on: 2008/2/1 23:36

Senior Guru
Morristown, TN
480 Posts

Quote:
Although I do agree with you, this set is only 15 months old or so, and already out and fwiw, I don't watch a lot of tv to begin with. So my price per day is quite high. Still, a set should last WAAAAAYYYYY longer than this. I've researched online and have found this to be a very common problem with my particular model......
Waiting on call from service center 4th day now....

When in doubt call them again. Ask for their supervisor. I had problems with AT&T having our cell phone bills messed up for 3 months since we changed plans. The sales rep would not return my calls, customer support was no help. So I didn't pay the bill. I knew someone would call me.

Sure enough a young lady did and I told her I didn't pay the bill intentionally. I told her if we could fix the problem that day I would be happy to give her a credit card number. She started on the trail we as consumers have to go through. I made it clear she would have to get someone in charge who could fix that day. She got disconnected 3 times, got passed on to about 4 different people. I told her she was going through what consumers had to go through. She agreed it was ridiculous. Finally we got hold of a guy who said he would fix it. He kept calling me back with all the troubles he was having. I gave him a solution which I thought should work and guess what. IT DID. He said what a great idea. He called me back again and said the problem was fixed. I called the original girl back and gave her a credit card number.

If they had gone with my solution in the beginning on how to bypass the system it would have been fixed 3 months ago. Damn, you have to walk them through their own system.
Posted on: 2008/2/2 3:10

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.