Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
315 user(s) are online (280 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Windows in the C4
Both should move up and down, quietly and reasonably fast.

If a window does not work, this most likely means a bad motor, but check the fuse pane...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

jsup Oil Temp Warmup...
Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Question.....I only was able to idle the car in the garage.

The water temp got to operating temp on the dash guage.

The oil temp didn't seem to move much.

THe oil temp was always a little lower than water temp but I never noticed which got hot first and how long after they were at full temp.

Just want to know if I should pick up a oil temp sending unit or not.

Can anyone tell me how much after the water temp gets to normal, how long after does the oil temp catch up?
Posted on: 2008/2/19 0:41
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Jer RE:Oil Temp Warmup...
Guru Newb
San Diego and your town sucks!
24 Posts

My '85 takes about five minutes, depending on how hard you are driving. I drive the same route to work every day. I see my oil and water temps go from low to 150 degrees at almost the same point in my trip. My water hits 180 degrees or so depending on if I get caught at a light, then my oil hits 150 degrees about five minutes later. Also, I have an oil cooler, which makes a difference (heats up oil faster).
Posted on: 2008/2/19 0:49

jsup RE:Oil Temp Warmup...
Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:
My '85 takes about five minutes, depending on how hard you are driving. I drive the same route to work every day. I see my oil and water temps go from low to 150 degrees at almost the same point in my trip. My water hits 180 degrees or so depending on if I get caught at a light, then my oil hits 150 degrees about five minutes later. Also, I have an oil cooler, which makes a difference (heats up oil faster).

I let the car just idle for what seemed like 10 minutes. Maybe not long enough to get the oil temp up to where it needs to be?

That's what I'm really trying to figure out.
Posted on: 2008/2/19 0:52

RollaMo-LT4 RE:Oil Temp Warmup...
Trivia Winner
Rolla, Missouri
422 Posts

Just sitting at an idle in your garage or driveway, will take quite a long time for the oil temp. to come up to operating levels.

Even driving the car, the water temp will come up to normal before the oil temp does.

IMHO, your better off not even starting the car if all you can do is idle it in the garage for 10-15 minutes. You need to drive it, to get everything up to temp.
Posted on: 2008/2/19 0:55

Jer RE:Oil Temp Warmup...
Guru Newb
San Diego and your town sucks!
24 Posts

When I lived in the upper Midwest and had my hot rods stored in the winter, I would start them up once a month and let them idle for 20 minutes to half an hour. I would make sure the oil was heated up. I would also move the car forward and back and make sure the tires weren't sitting in the same spot.

Then, I wised up and moved to Southern California.
Posted on: 2008/2/19 0:59

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:
Just sitting at an idle in your garage or driveway, will take quite a long time for the oil temp. to come up to operating levels.

Even driving the car, the water temp will come up to normal before the oil temp does.

IMHO, your better off not even starting the car if all you can do is idle it in the garage for 10-15 minutes. You need to drive it, to get everything up to temp.

I just finished building the motor, I was setting the timing and such. The oil is fresh, as is the motor.

Looking at the guages I was just wonderin how long it would take for the oil to come up. I was thinking since I'm taking it to an exhaust shop, the temp sending unit is no big deal since they're there.

Thanks, I probably wasn't letting it run long enough. I'll try to drive it around tomorrow (with open headers) to see if the temp comes up.
Posted on: 2008/2/19 1:10

BillH RE:Oil Temp Warmup...
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Yesterday, when I started the 92, the water was at 40. I didn't look at the oil but, it was probably anround 40. I always run idle to 100 degrees water before I even move the car. That takes 5 to 7 minutes. At 100 water, the oil temp was 53 ( on the digital because the analog gauge is never even close to what the digital says). If I curse slowly the 2 miles out to the highway, the water is at 150 and the oil may get to 100.

So, if you're idling for 10 min. in the garage, you just have about enough oil temp to move the car and put a little load on the oil by driving. I thing this is especially important since you have a new motor and the clearances are still a little tight. Just my opinion.

We have a vintage Nascar with really tight tolerences in the 750 hp smallblock. The oil gets preheated to 140 every time before we start it.
Posted on: 2008/2/19 17:06

TommyT-Bone RE:Oil Temp Warmup...
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:
If I curse slowly the 2 miles out to the highway, the water is at 150 and the oil may get to 100.

If it works for you, great. My temps go up whether I curse or not.
Posted on: 2008/2/19 18:20

dan0617 RE:Oil Temp Warmup...
Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

Nice catch, Tommy

Jsup, your oil temp is fine. If mine idles 10 mins or so the oil is still cold, but the water temp is up and fan kicks on. Don't forget to change your oil and filter after running a little bit. The goo you disturbed but couldn't get out of the bottom end, the permatex and dust from scraped gaskets, etc. will end up in the filter pretty quickly. I've seen average oil pressures drop considerably, then a new filter brings them back. Keep and eye on it, but don't be surprised if you see your pressure lower than when you first got it running. As a side note, I put in a new K+N oil filter and the pressure is more than it was with a new Fram. I always change the oil out again after about an hour of runtime on a build as well, just to be safe.
Posted on: 2008/2/19 23:19

jhammons01 RE:Oil Temp Warmup...
Senior Guru
1044 Posts

Quote:
I'll try to drive it around tomorrow (with open headers) to see if the temp comes up.

on the car? or the neighbors?
Posted on: 2008/2/19 23:27

Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

Yeah, his neighbors are going to be like my Guinness.....all foamed up.
Posted on: 2008/2/19 23:34

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:
Nice catch, Tommy

Jsup, your oil temp is fine. If mine idles 10 mins or so the oil is still cold, but the water temp is up and fan kicks on. Don't forget to change your oil and filter after running a little bit. The goo you disturbed but couldn't get out of the bottom end, the permatex and dust from scraped gaskets, etc. will end up in the filter pretty quickly. I've seen average oil pressures drop considerably, then a new filter brings them back. Keep and eye on it, but don't be surprised if you see your pressure lower than when you first got it running. As a side note, I put in a new K+N oil filter and the pressure is more than it was with a new Fram. I always change the oil out again after about an hour of runtime on a build as well, just to be safe.

I'm just going to drive it to the exhuast place and back before I change the oil. About 20 miles round trip. Tops.

Lots of crap in there I'm sure.
Posted on: 2008/2/19 23:50

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
I'll try to drive it around tomorrow (with open headers) to see if the temp comes up.

on the car? or the neighbors?

Yes.
Posted on: 2008/2/19 23:51

Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

I'd love to hear it with open headers. I'm in PA, let me know when you are going and I'll stick my head outside and be real quiet, maybe I'll hear you. That 20 miles will be the perfect drive to let the oil and filter clean the engine out before you change it out.
Posted on: 2008/2/20 0:10

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.