Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
209 user(s) are online (146 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  ALDL
Assembly Line Diagnostic Link

The cable you use to connect to a TECH 1 or a laptop computer for diagnosis and data logging purposes....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

volzfan SES light, code 32 - question
Senior Guru
Kingsport, TN
306 Posts

I recently posted asking about possibly removing my EGR valve while I was doing some other work to my '85. Everyone's opinion convinced me to put it back, which I did. I now have the car back together, minus the "air pump", which was one of my main goals in the teardown anyway. I also replaced the valve stem seals, bypassed the throttle body/heater hose hookup, and did some cleaning/painting/detailing.

The car now start and runs fine........but the SES lights up right after startup, and stays lit........until you turn the car off while it's warm. After it's warm, you can start it and drive it for at least 30 miles (farthest I've been since putting it back) with no light. The only code showing is 32, or EGR system failure. Anyone have any ideas as to what is causing it? I've checked all vacuum hoses (they are all new anyway) and electrical hookups. The EGR solenoid is hooked up correctly.......in other words, I can't find any obvious problem.

By the way, here is a pic of what the engine looks like now:
Resized Image
Posted on: 2008/3/15 22:04

CasetheCorvetteman Re: SES light, code 32 - question
Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Have you still got the AIR system solenoids connected?

Just cause youve got that EGR solenoid connected doesnt mean its functioning as it should
Posted on: 2008/3/16 3:34
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

volzfan Re: SES light, code 32 - question
Senior Guru
Kingsport, TN
306 Posts

No, the Air pump system is totally gone, pump, solenoids, and all. What is the "connection", so to speak between the two systems? From what I can gather from the FSM, I don't see that one would have an effect on the other......but I may be way off in my thinking. Obviously there is something causing the light to come on, but only on a "cold" startup. Once the engine is up to temp, no problem anymore. That tells me the system is working once the car is warm.........am I wrong?

Thanks for any input, I really appreciate the help!
Posted on: 2008/3/16 4:19

CasetheCorvetteman Re: SES light, code 32 - question
Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

No, i dont think its the solenoid or the valve, cause i reckon the light would come would come on while you were at highway cruise if it was.

There is obviously another issue that exsists in the system causing you to get the SES light at start up, whether or not it is the DTC 32 youre seeing or another code youre not, i couldnt be sure without seeing it.
Posted on: 2008/3/17 10:37

Senior Guru
Kingsport, TN
306 Posts

Thanks for the input. Looks like I'll just have to keep searching for a problem. Probably something simple!
Posted on: 2008/3/18 10:58

Notorious Re: SES light, code 32 - question
Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

I'd bet that if you follow the troubleshooting procedure in the FSM for that code, you'll find the problem.
Posted on: 2008/3/18 12:57

CFI-EFI Re: SES light, code 32 - question
Senior Guru
Top of Utah
372 Posts

Doesn't your FSM tell you what it takes to set the code? That, and the chart ought to lead you to the cause of the code.

RACE ON!!!
Posted on: 2008/3/19 0:23

CentralCoaster Re: SES light, code 32 - question
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Do you have aftermarket exhaust? Backpressure is supposed to bleed off the egr vacuum. If it doesn't I think the egr can be still open on startup and throw a code.

There's also a egr temp switch on there, I forget its function, it's been a few years since I had to diagnose it, I think maybe it's supposed to open the egr at idle when it's warmed up, but that shouldn't throw a code on startup.

You can see what the egr diaphram doing with a small inspection mirror or feeling under there if you don't have fat hands.

FWIW I'm running with no air pump, stock headers, and a high flow cat with no egr issues.
Posted on: 2008/3/19 16:14

Senior Guru
Kingsport, TN
306 Posts

I am running stock exhaust. The only mod there at all was to the stock manifolds/headers..........I removed the "tubes" that connected to the Air pump, and plugged and welded up the holes.

I did not have this issue before taking it down to do the work described, so that is why I felt that something was probably put back or hooked up wrong. Was hoping that someone else may have been there before. I will troubleshoot further this weekend, using the FSM as a guide for the checks that I've not already made.

Thanks for the input. One way or another, I'll find it!
Posted on: 2008/3/19 18:44

CentralCoaster Re: SES light, code 32 - question
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Check the small vacuum line tee where it connects to the bottom of the throttle body, I always forget to hook this one up.

Is the idle kinda crappy too?
Posted on: 2008/3/19 23:25

Senior Guru
Kingsport, TN
306 Posts

I know the "tee" that you are referring to, and it's fine. In fact, I replaced all the vacuum hoses and fittings, tees, the two way vacuum port, etc. while I had the plenum off.

And as for the idle.....it is just fine. In fact, the car runs great.....even better than before I took it down, but I attribute most of that to the fact that I had the injectors "rebuilt" while it was down, and some of the vacuum lines that I replaced were very suspect, to the point that I can't see how they could NOT have been leaking. Also cleaning the throttle body and plenum/runners couldn't have hurt.

As far as performance, the car is great. Whatever is causing the SES to light happens right at startup, but the light stays on until the car is turned off. Once the car is warm, I can start it as many times as I want with no light.

Thanks for any and all input!
Posted on: 2008/3/19 23:36

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.