Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
288 user(s) are online (220 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Z16
Also known as the Grand Sport.

A one year special. 1000 were made to honor both the end of the C4 and the original racers, called Grand Sports, fr...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

NC Kid Batterys(car wise)
Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Anyone know what they do with old car batteries? You can't bury them...so? Second, I was reading and if they do switch all cars to electric that run off batterys, where are they going to stash all those batteries when they wear out andn we run out of resources to get rid of them.
Posted on: 2008/5/15 16:16
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

CentralCoaster Re: Batterys(car wise)
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I was expecting the tree-huggers to construct homes out of em. Because we all know, electricity doesn't cause pollution!
Posted on: 2008/5/15 16:53

red_johnny Re: Batterys(car wise)
On Sabbatical
Augusta, GA (85 383 stroker)
3213 Posts

and THATS the problem with hybrids!
Posted on: 2008/5/15 17:12

NC Kid Re: Batterys(car wise)
Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

The acid/lead is more harmful for the earth than the polloution would be because it can leak into the ground so I am trying to figure out how they can say it's saving the earth when it is still causing other issues being overlooked. Plus gasoline is expensive now...4.00 a gallon.
Posted on: 2008/5/15 17:43

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Electricity is still more expensive. I think its because they have to drill really far into the earth to get it, all the way to China, where they have thousands of big warehouses full of Chinese children rubbing their feet on the carpet.

But of course, no pollution. Maybe they could construct a coal-powered rocket and shoot all the used batteries into the sun.
Posted on: 2008/5/15 17:58

JrRifleCoach Re: Batterys(car wise)
Elite Guru
1524 Posts

Quote:

B1ack86v3tt3 wrote:
Anyone know what they do with old car batteries? You can't bury them...

Why not?

They bury nuclear waste, our garbage even our dead bodies.
Posted on: 2008/5/16 1:48

Notorious Re: Batterys(car wise)
Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Uh.... at current scrap prices, I've heard of as high as $15 being paid for junk car batteries. I'd believe that makes the entire recycling "problem" of lead-acid batteries a rather moot point. They sure ain't paying that much for them just to bury them and poison our ground water with them. Batteries have always been recycled for their lead.
Posted on: 2008/5/16 2:57

bogus Re: Batterys(car wise)
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

most auto parts stores will take them.
Posted on: 2008/5/16 4:41

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

Notorious wrote:
Uh.... at current scrap prices, I've heard of as high as $15 being paid for junk car batteries. I'd believe that makes the entire recycling "problem" of lead-acid batteries a rather moot point. They sure ain't paying that much for them just to bury them and poison our ground water with them. Batteries have always been recycled for their lead.

That's funny because last time I was at Sears they charged me to take the old battery. What a racket!
Posted on: 2008/5/16 6:18

Danspeed1 Re: Batterys(car wise)
Elite Guru
Mooresville, North Carolina
1121 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
Electricity is still more expensive. I think its because they have to drill really far into the earth to get it, all the way to China, where they have thousands of big warehouses full of Chinese children rubbing their feet on the carpet.

But of course, no pollution. Maybe they could construct a coal-powered rocket and shoot all the used batteries into the sun.

I love your sarcastic humor... i think its what keeps me on this site.

Where do you come up with this stuff?

DG
Posted on: 2008/5/16 6:44
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

he drinks battery acid...
Posted on: 2008/5/16 14:36

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

oh, it's not about treehugging... batteries are super toxic, and do you REALLY want to drink that shit? All kidding aside, battery acid leaches into the ground water and would cause all sorts of health issues down the road.

Technically, one battery could contaminate quite a lot of ground water... to the point of being dangerous? I doubt it, but if everyone did it...

As for recylcing, it's becoming a big business. Huge infact. And the hybrids will force this bigger. So will any vehicle that uses a battery.
Posted on: 2008/5/16 14:39

JrRifleCoach Re: Batterys(car wise)
Elite Guru
1524 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
oh, it's not about treehugging... batteries are super toxic, and do you REALLY want to drink that shit? All kidding aside, battery acid leaches into the ground water and would cause all sorts of health issues down the road.

Technically, one battery could contaminate quite a lot of ground water... to the point of being dangerous? I doubt it, but if everyone did it...

MY GOD MAN!! Technically???? I've been on many construction site where old batteries and much worse soil contamination has been found. And there has never been a contaminated strata. Technically I have witnessed that one battery cannot contaminate "quite a lot of ground water". First the battery must be placed close to an aqua strata. Then we wait, oh lets say one hundred years? Rain will have diluted the acid and the lead will dissolve. By then man will have dug up that battery building more homes and carried off the dirt at some ridiculous price to save a green tree frog.

My point is recycling is supposed to free our environment of trash and pollutants. Instead it costs more money and the consumer would rather throw out the product, than spend even more money. Ya see, the majority of the population doesn't live in the cities. Rural America doesn't have a recycle center at every Starbucks in town.

Go to Staples and look at the price of recycled paper products. 100% recycled paper is twice the price of 30% paper. Why is that? Why do we have a recycle fee attached to new tires? Then have to pay another disposal fee?

Because recycling and being "green" is nothing more than feeling good and spending lots of money. The result is someone getting rich.

To prove the point in one word; algore
Posted on: 2008/5/16 15:17

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Yeah, some forms of recycling consume more resources than starting from scratch. I was reading about trash/refuse vs recycling, which can go either way, depending on how tight the ship is run.

And of course any form of energy production or conservation that is subsidized by the government is clearly the wrong way to go. Why would you intentionally spend more for one form of energy (total cycle cost) than another? Why not use the cheapest available energy sources first, and let production costs determine when one is most viable?

All I've really learned is that the truth is boring and complex. So people choose to subscribe to oversimplified extremist ideas instead.
Posted on: 2008/5/16 23:02

NC Kid Re: Batterys(car wise)
Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Posted on: 2008/5/16 23:22

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.