Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
287 user(s) are online (225 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  4+3
This is the manual transmission from 1984-1988.

It’s a Borg-Warner Super T-10 with a planetary overdrive attached to the tail shaft housing.
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Notorious The greatest race in the world - who's watching?
Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Although I'm a fan of many forms of motorsports, there'll never be anything to compare to the Indianapolis 500 in my eyes. Politics and everything else aside, it is still and always will be the race.
There are quite a few drivers I'd be happy to see win. Among them Kanaan, Castroneves, Danica, Lazier, anyone named Andretti and others. I'm here for the duration, as always.
Posted on: 2008/5/25 18:14

bastet44 Re: The greatest race in the world - who's watching?
Webmaster
San Pedro, CA
1389 Posts

Love watching it in high def, too!
Posted on: 2008/5/25 18:29
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Notorious Re: The greatest race in the world - who's watching?
Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Quote:

bastet44 wrote:
Love watching it in high def, too!

I wouldn't know, quit gloating!
Yes, I heard them say at the outset that it was being broadcast for the first time in HD. I'll bet that's cool.
Posted on: 2008/5/25 18:37

bastet44 Re: The greatest race in the world - who's watching?
Webmaster
San Pedro, CA
1389 Posts

We first starting watching on the TV in the bedroom which is a regular ol' 15 year old TV, then switched to the high def in the living room. Wow, the colors are beautiful. And the split screens (during pit stops and commercials) - you can actually see what's going on. =)
Posted on: 2008/5/25 18:43

FLYINLOW90 Re: The greatest race in the world - who's watching?
Senior Guru
Windsor Ontario Canada
514 Posts

The LOWES 600 IS ON ALREADY????

J/K
Gary
Posted on: 2008/5/25 19:03

NC Kid Re: The greatest race in the world - who's watching?
Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Posted on: 2008/5/25 19:07

bogus Re: The greatest race in the world - who's watching?
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Ah yes, the Indy 500, presented by Dancing with the Stars.
Posted on: 2008/5/25 19:12

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Quote:

FLYINLOW90 wrote:

Look, I'm a big Nascar fan too. But the 600 is almost always one boring-assed race, as are all too many other races at Charlotte as well.

Congrats to Dixon on his first Indy win. Those guys did a good job and really had them covered.
Posted on: 2008/5/25 21:03

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Target Chip Ganassi had the cars this weekend. Big props to Dixon. Seems like a nice guy, really.

Andretti Green did ok, tho... Ed Carpenter in 5th was a big finish for him. Vito Mira had a great run. I thought he was gonna catch Scott there, but the lap traffic killed any chance of that.

Marco had a good car, too.

Mika Duno finished 19th. I felt for both Sarah and Danica. Moreso for Sarah, really. She has had such a rough go of it this month.
Posted on: 2008/5/25 21:32

Senior Guru
Windsor Ontario Canada
514 Posts

Quote:

Notorious wrote:
Quote:

FLYINLOW90 wrote:

Look, I'm a big Nascar fan too. But the 600 is almost always one boring-assed race, as are all too many other races at Charlotte as well.

Congrats to Dixon on his first Indy win. Those guys did a good job and really had them covered.

I'm just not into the open wheel stuff I guess. Guess I like the sound of open headers as opposed to the rice burners!!

Gary
Posted on: 2008/5/25 21:36

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

open wheels? Rice burners? Say what?

The IRL engine may be a Honda design, but it's a 3.5 litre V8, spinning to about 10k RPM, made right here in SoCal. Personally, I wish they would open them up a bit, they sound a bit restricted.

Oh, and these cars do run open headers. The IRL uses Ethanol.

F1 is the same deal... 2.4 litre V8, spinning to 19k RPM, made mostly in Europe, regardless of name on the car. England is the home to most all European motorsports, and that is where the various engines are made. Except Toyota (Germany) and Ferrari (Italy). F1 cars run on some form of pump gas.

I don't see rice being burned anywhere.

I am more of a Champ Car fan and was never in love with Tony George and his IRL dream. Apparently, I am stuck with IRL. I am a huge ALMS fan and an equally huge F1 fan. I will watch Grand Am.

I love the precision of these forms of racing, where one mistake = epic disaster.

I guess what I am saying is that "rice burner" is not the right term... and I have never liked it much, either.
Posted on: 2008/5/25 21:48

Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Foreign cars and/or foreign engines have been a part of Indy since the first race in 1911. I love American iron but certainly won't limit myself to it when it comes to appreciating great cars and great racing.
Posted on: 2008/5/25 22:32

Senior Guru
Windsor Ontario Canada
514 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:

The IRL engine may be a Honda design, but it's a 3.5 litre V8, spinning to about 10k RPM, made right here in SoCal. Personally, I wish they would open them up a bit, they sound a bit restricted.

F1 is the same deal... 2.4 litre V8, spinning to 19k RPM, made mostly in Europe, regardless of name on the car. England is the home to most all European motorsports, and that is where the various engines are made. Except Toyota (Germany) and Ferrari (Italy). F1 cars run on some form of pump gas.

I am more of a Champ Car fan and was never in love with Tony George and his IRL dream. Apparently, I am stuck with IRL. I am a huge ALMS fan and an equally huge F1 fan. I will watch Grand Am.

I love the precision of these forms of racing, where one mistake = epic disaster.

I guess what I am saying is that "rice burner" is not the right term... and I have never liked it much, either.

Damn I really stirred up the indians..........

First of all thanx for the enlightenment on the engines sizes and RPM's. Had no idea about any of that.

Whether "rice burner" is the right term or not that "open wheel" racing does not interest me.

I can appreciate the speeds they run, the skill it takes to operate at those speeds and everything else it takes to run a successful team on that circut it just doesn't "turn my crank".

JMO
Gary
Posted on: 2008/5/26 0:02

Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Quote:

FLYINLOW90 wrote:
I can appreciate the speeds they run, the skill it takes to operate at those speeds and everything else it takes to run a successful team on that circut it just doesn't "turn my crank".

JMO
Gary

Have you ever seen a World of Outlaws or other good sprint car show on dirt? (TV is good but doesn't do it justice) That shit is balls to the wall and will likely make you a fan of (at least) all-American style open wheel racing in it's purest essence. Bring goggles and lots of beer. Eating dust and dodging dirt clods is thirsty work!
Posted on: 2008/5/26 0:23

Matatk Re: The greatest race in the world - who's watching?
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Quote:

Notorious wrote:

Have you ever seen a World of Outlaws or other good sprint car show on dirt? (TV is good but doesn't do it justice) That shit is balls to the wall and will likely make you a fan of (at least) all-American style open wheel racing in it's purest essence. Bring goggles and lots of beer. Eating dust and dodging dirt clods is thirsty work!

I'd rather watch that type of race than nascar/indy/etc. It's the "pure" form of racing where guys own and wrench on their personal cars and then drive them. And after the race they go back to work at their real jobs.

Matthew
Posted on: 2008/5/26 1:07

Senior Guru
Windsor Ontario Canada
514 Posts

Quote:

Notorious wrote:
Quote:

FLYINLOW90 wrote:

JMO
Gary

actually I have!!! That IS pretty exciting stuff!!

There goes the theory of me not liking open wheel stuff. Duh

Gary
Posted on: 2008/5/26 1:09

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I have been to countless dirt races over the years. World Of Outlaws at Williams Grove... Late Models at Bridgeport... Wingless micros at Tri-Cities... URC at Delaware... It's the holy grail of all things racing.

I prefer 410s over 360s. The speed of a 410 is killer fast.
Posted on: 2008/5/26 2:39

Senior Guru
Windsor Ontario Canada
514 Posts

used to have cars years ago when I lived in Pa. called micro midgets. they were fun to watch....
Posted on: 2008/5/26 2:42

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

FLYINLOW90 wrote:
Quote:

bogus wrote:

Damn I really stirred up the indians..........

First of all thanx for the enlightenment on the engines sizes and RPM's. Had no idea about any of that.

Whether "rice burner" is the right term or not that "open wheel" racing does not interest me.

JMO
Gary

Oh, I understand it not appealing, it's just your comment reflected a lack of knowledge and/or insight into the other genres of motorsport. So I opened your mind to them a little. Sometimes, if you know a little about something, it might spur curiosity.
Posted on: 2008/5/26 2:43

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.