Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
282 user(s) are online (253 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  4+3
This is the manual transmission from 1984-1988.

It’s a Borg-Warner Super T-10 with a planetary overdrive attached to the tail shaft housing.
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

jimmers Tranny pan rusted through!
Senior Guru
Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada
211 Posts

I noticed my truck was leaking today so I crawl underneath to find that the transmission oil pan is rusted right through casuing the fluid to leak. I always thought these pans were made out of stainless steel or somthing. If I press my finger on the side, fluid seeps out. I'm going to call the dealer tomorrow because the truck still has warranty. Do you think this would be covered under the power train warranty? The truck is only a 2003! First the vette breaks, now this! Anyone seen this before?

Resized Image
Posted on: 2008/6/6 1:43
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: Tranny pan rusted through!
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

No, I haven't.

And yes, I would expect the powertrain to cover this.

If it doesn't, see if an aluminum afermarket is available.

What is the truck? Ford? Chevy? What?
Posted on: 2008/6/6 3:08

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

jimmers Re: Tranny pan rusted through!
Senior Guru
211 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
No, I haven't.

And yes, I would expect the powertrain to cover this.

If it doesn't, see if an aluminum afermarket is available.

What is the truck? Ford? Chevy? What?

It's an 2003 Dodge Ram. I think the warranty would cover it, but I figured since its rusted through and not a defect they wouldn't cover it. I guess i'll have to see tomorrow. Aren't these typically made out or somthing that wouldn't rust. I know I live in Canada and we have alot of salt on the roads in the winter, but this seems weird.
Posted on: 2008/6/6 3:11

Mr_Mojo Re: Tranny pan rusted through!
Senior Guru
Lakewood,NJ
225 Posts

I was talking to my tire guy the other day. He told me of his friends 2003 F250SD that had a piston squirter that brke off in his diesel. After removing the cab, removing the engine, flipping it over and removing the oil pan, they discovered another squirter had fell off. He discovered the first one during an oil change, it came out the drain hole.
When they removed the oil pan, they discovered exactly what you did. The pan had rusted through.

They charged him $300 for a new pan, but no labor since they needed to remove the pan anyway to replace the squirters.

So if the squirters were covered under warranty, why wasn't the oil pan?

This is the price we pay for the big three going overseas for parts.
Posted on: 2008/6/6 14:33

JrRifleCoach Re: Tranny pan rusted through!
Elite Guru
1524 Posts

Seems the chinese are using all the good steel to make SnapOn tools.

Or you guys are using too much salt on the roads
Posted on: 2008/6/6 14:54

Matatk Re: Tranny pan rusted through!
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Quote:

JrRifleCoach wrote:

Kind of a trade off up here - salt eats the exterior of our cars up. But move out by you and every car has a trashed interior but a nice body. Oh well. Come to think of it, though, I could be happy with no snow

That is pretty lame about the trans pan rusting through - I've seen it with relatively new exhaust, but not a trans pan.

Matthew
Posted on: 2008/6/6 15:09

toptechx6 Re: Tranny pan rusted through!
Senior Guru
south Florida
362 Posts

Most of my career was spent fixing cars in the rust belt, not all that unusual, I've seen oil pans do the same thing. It is not caused by foreign parts because I remember seeing it way back in the 70's.
I will be surprised if the dealer will cover it, but it often comes down to the relationship you have established so far. If you have service done there on a regular basis it might happen, good luck.
Posted on: 2008/6/6 16:27

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Snapon? Chinese metal? Since when?
Posted on: 2008/6/6 17:55

Senior Guru
211 Posts

Quote:

JrRifleCoach wrote:
Seems the chinese are using all the good steel to make SnapOn tools.

We do use alot of salt. In the spring once the snow melts the streets are just white.
Posted on: 2008/6/6 18:22

Senior Guru
211 Posts

Quote:

toptechx6 wrote:
Most of my career was spent fixing cars in the rust belt, not all that unusual, I've seen oil pans do the same thing. It is not caused by foreign parts because I remember seeing it way back in the 70's.
I will be surprised if the dealer will cover it, but it often comes down to the relationship you have established so far. If you have service done there on a regular basis it might happen, good luck.

Well I've been in a few times for repairs. I hope its covered because in my opinion an oil pan shouldn't rust up like this in 5 years. If it's not covered I'll replace it myself for alot cheaper then the dealer would.
Posted on: 2008/6/6 18:25

Senior Guru
south Florida
362 Posts

Quote:

Well I've been in a few times for repairs. I hope its covered because in my opinion an oil pan shouldn't rust up like this in 5 years. If it's not covered I'll replace it myself for alot cheaper then the dealer would.

No argument from me, but car manufactures are stingy with warranty and will try to avoid paying. Be polite with the dealer, but if they refuse to cover it move up the ladder, ask to speak with their District Manager. Sometimes they will compromise if coverage is borderline and agree to "participation", covering the part for example if you agree to pay the labor, again good luck, hope it is no covered with no hassle.
Posted on: 2008/6/6 18:36

Senior Guru
211 Posts

Quote:

toptechx6 wrote:
Quote:

No argument from me, but car manufactures are stingy with warranty and will try to avoid paying. Be polite with the dealer, but if they refuse to cover it move up the ladder, ask to speak with their District Manager. Sometimes they will compromise if coverage is borderline and agree to "participation", covering the part for example if you agree to pay the labor, again good luck, hope it is no covered with no hassle.

When I made an appointment today I asked thenm if it would be covered. He said that if it looks like its rusted from the inside it should be covered. But if its rusted from the outside then probably not.
Posted on: 2008/6/6 18:57

Senior Guru
south Florida
362 Posts

Quote:

When I made an appointment today I asked thenm if it would be covered. He said that if it looks like its rusted from the inside it should be covered. But if its rusted from the outside then probably not.

Yep, not surprised. You may want to just buy the part and install it yourself, one look at the outside and you are done. Once they drop the pan, you will be charged for labor to reinstall it, pan gasket and fluid minimum. Their parts price for a pan will probably be scary.
Posted on: 2008/6/6 19:17

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Check the various aftermarket sources, you might be able to get an aluminum pan... a little more durable than steel.

I guess Delaware didn't use enough salt...
Posted on: 2008/6/6 19:20

Senior Guru
211 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
Check the various aftermarket sources, you might be able to get an aluminum pan... a little more durable than steel.

I guess Delaware didn't use enough salt...

I called a few part places locally and they all said they won't carry somthing like that. I'll try a few more and maybe get lucky!
Posted on: 2008/6/6 19:32

Senior Guru
south Florida
362 Posts

Unlike GM cars,not a lot of aftermarket stuff available for Mopars. I found some aluminum pans here:

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/dodge.htm

but they aren't cheap. I may be able to get you a discount on a factory pan from a friend in Ohio but shipping to Canada will probably wipe out anything saved and it will take time.
Posted on: 2008/6/6 20:38

Senior Guru
211 Posts

Quote:

toptechx6 wrote:
Unlike GM cars,not a lot of aftermarket stuff available for Mopars. I found some aluminum pans here:

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/dodge.htm

but they aren't cheap. I may be able to get you a discount on a factory pan from a friend in Ohio but shipping to Canada will probably wipe out anything saved and it will take time.

Thanks for the offer, I really appreciate your help. But like you said, shipping it to Canada would probably even out the discount or cost more. I managed to find the oil pan for about $50 which is alot cheaper then the dealer. I figured since I'm in there i'll replace the filters, so I bought them too.
Posted on: 2008/6/6 22:19

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

you may want to get the new pan and then get it powder coated.
Posted on: 2008/6/6 22:22

Mr_Mojo Re: Tranny pan rusted through!
Senior Guru
Lakewood,NJ
225 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
Snapon? Chinese metal? Since when?
I've heard Snap On is 100% made in USA, but I don't know where they get their metal from, so who knows.
Posted on: 2008/6/6 22:44

Senior Guru
south Florida
362 Posts

Quote:

Thanks for the offer, I really appreciate your help. But like you said, shipping it to Canada would probably even out the discount or cost more. I managed to find the oil pan for about $50 which is alot cheaper then the dealer. I figured since I'm in there i'll replace the filters, so I bought them too.

Fifty bucks sounds like a decent price, good idea to do the filter, there are two band adjustments you should do as well. Not too difficult, but you will need an inch pound torque wrench. I can get you the specs if you PM me the last 9 digits of the VIN.
Posted on: 2008/6/6 23:52

Senior Guru
211 Posts

What exactly are band adjustments?
Posted on: 2008/6/7 2:28

aapple Re: Tranny pan rusted through!
Guru Newb
Duncanville, Texas
17 Posts

There are two bands in this trans...one is labeled "Low/Reverse", and is applied in, duh...reverse, and manual low.
The other is the intermediate band, and it is applied in second gear on both the upshift, and the downshift(passing gear).
The adjustments are simply to loosen the lock-nut, and tighten the adjustment screw until it is just snug(with a short wrench), then back it off 1(one) round, then tighten the lock nut back, being sure not to let the adjustment screw move.

However...I see a TON of these things coming in with the friction lining on the intermediate band completely gone...not burnt off, but flaked off. When this happens, it ruins the drum the band rides on. Chrysler is apparently saving money by using the absolute cheapest bands they can get, and it is gonna come back to bite them on their butts. (It is, however, really good for my business!:banana21
Another problem I see when the band lining disappears is, the band strut will fall out due to the excessive clearance, and land smack in the internal shift linkage, locking the shifter down to where it either will not move, or you won't be able to get it into park.

I say all of this because, if you do make a band adjustment on one of these trannys, it can very possibly accelerate the demise of the factory band, so..."if it ain't broke..."
Posted on: 2008/6/7 3:18
C3VR

Senior Guru
211 Posts

Quote:

aapple wrote:
There are two bands in this trans...one is labeled "Low/Reverse", and is applied in, duh...reverse, and manual low.
The other is the intermediate band, and it is applied in second gear on both the upshift, and the downshift(passing gear).
The adjustments are simply to loosen the lock-nut, and tighten the adjustment screw until it is just snug(with a short wrench), then back it off 1(one) round, then tighten the lock nut back, being sure not to let the adjustment screw move.

However...I see a TON of these things coming in with the friction lining on the intermediate band completely gone...not burnt off, but flaked off. When this happens, it ruins the drum the band rides on. Chrysler is apparently saving money by using the absolute cheapest bands they can get, and it is gonna come back to bite them on their butts. (It is, however, really good for my business!:banana21
Another problem I see when the band lining disappears is, the band strut will fall out due to the excessive clearance, and land smack in the internal shift linkage, locking the shifter down to where it either will not move, or you won't be able to get it into park.

I say all of this because, if you do make a band adjustment on one of these trannys, it can very possibly accelerate the demise of the factory band, so..."if it ain't broke..."

Wow, thanks for the explainition!!! So your telling me to leave it alone?
Posted on: 2008/6/7 3:49

Senior Guru
south Florida
362 Posts

Based on the crude adjustment procedure recommended by aapple I'd agree, don't adjust the bands, you are very likely to fry them. However if you follow the correct adjustment procedure listed below it should prolong the life of your transmission, your call.

ADJUSTMENT - BANDS
FRONT BAND
The front (kickdown) band adjusting screw is located on the left side of the transmission case above the manual valve and throttle valve levers.

Raise vehicle.
Loosen band adjusting screw locknut (Front Band Adjustment Screw Location). Then back locknut off 3-5 turns. Be sure adjusting screw turns freely in case. Apply lubricant to screw threads if necessary.
Tighten band adjusting screw to 8 N·m (72 in. lbs.) torque with an appropriate Torx™ socket.
CAUTION: If Adapter C-3705 is needed to reach the adjusting screw, tighten the screw to only 5 N·m (47-50 in. lbs.) torque.

Back off front band adjusting screw 2-7/8 turns.
Hold adjuster screw in position and tighten locknut to 41 N·m (30 ft. lbs.) torque.
Lower vehicle.
REAR BAND
The transmission oil pan must be removed for access to the rear band adjusting screw.

Raise vehicle.
Remove transmission oil pan and drain fluid.
Loosen band adjusting screw locknut 5-6 turns. Be sure adjusting screw turns freely in lever.
Tighten adjusting screw to 8 N·m (72 in. lbs.) torque (Rear Band Adjustment Screw Location).
Back off adjusting screw 2 turns.
Hold adjusting screw in place and tighten locknut to 34 N·m (25 ft. lbs.) torque.
Position new gasket on oil pan and install pan on transmission. Tighten pan bolts to 13.6 N·m (125 in. lbs.) torque.
Lower vehicle and refill transmission with Mopar® ATF +4, Automatic Transmission fluid.
Posted on: 2008/6/7 7:59

aapple Re: Tranny pan rusted through!
Guru Newb
Duncanville, Texas
17 Posts

Quote:

toptechx6 wrote:
Based on the crude adjustment procedure recommended by aapple I'd agree, don't adjust the bands, you are very likely to fry them. However if you follow the correct adjustment procedure listed below it should prolong the life of your transmission, your call.

Gee....I guess I should just quit my job of 30 years and do something else...eh?
Posted on: 2008/6/7 13:47
C3VR

Senior Guru
south Florida
362 Posts

Quote:

aapple wrote:
Quote:

toptechx6 wrote:

Gee....I guess I should just quit my job of 30 years and do something else...eh?

Not saying that at all aapple, like you I worked as an auto technician for over 30 years, all Chrysler product by the way. I too can adjust bands without a torque wrench having developed the feel for the process over many years. However I would not expect someone who doesn't even know what a band adjustment is to make them using instructions as vague as "tighten snug with a short wrench", to me that is inviting disaster. I have no doubt you can do so with great success.
Posted on: 2008/6/8 9:14

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.