Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
223 user(s) are online (135 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  4L80E
Automatic Transmission - 4 Speed

1st Gear: 2.43
2nd Gear: 1.49
3rd Gear: 1.00
4th Gear: 0.75

Reverse: 2.07

- Used in production GM models...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

bogus Tragedy at Englishtown
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20860 Posts

As you all probably know, Scott Kalitta died at Englishtown yesterday.

It is a shame that someone that talented had to die, but he did die doing something he loved. It is also a sobering reminder that when things go far enough wrong, nothing will save your bacon.

I have included a link to the ESPN coverage, it's a replay. Remember, as they say it too, a man died in this clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DziJdGwFQjU

I have no idea what injuries he sustained. The impact was ugly, so if you are sensitive to these things, I would skip it. I suspect he is better off... surviving that wreck would have left him in very bad shape.

Posted on: 2008/6/23 0:25

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Notorious Re: Tragedy at Englishtown
Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

A sad weekend for the racing world. We can only hope (as always) that any conditions that contributed to the horrendous series of events that led to this tragedy will lead to safety improvements. I've already heard much speculation as to the cause or causes but I think it's premature to cast blame. This will all be addressed in due time. For now I wish only peace and comfort to all those personally touched by the accident.
Posted on: 2008/6/23 2:19

pianoguy Re: Tragedy at Englishtown
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

What a horrific accident - so sad, and such a loss for racing and one of its families.
Posted on: 2008/6/23 2:39

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Danspeed1 Re: Tragedy at Englishtown
Elite Guru
Mooresville, North Carolina
1121 Posts

My neighbor Mike was at the race that day. He's not a "car guy" but somebody who's making an attempt to enter and understand the hobby. Mike is a pretty hard *SS guy when it comes to this sort of thing... but when he came home after seeing this he looked all F'ed up. Turns my stomach just watching it.

My sympathy for the family.
DG
Posted on: 2008/6/23 4:25
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

bogus Re: Tragedy at Englishtown
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20860 Posts

I know... it is heart breaking.

As for causes, I haven't read anything regarding that yet.

It was quite obvious to me that the shoots burned or failed. I wonder why they are not fire proof?
Posted on: 2008/6/23 5:47

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Mr_Mojo Re: Tragedy at Englishtown
Senior Guru
Lakewood,NJ
225 Posts

I was supposed to be there, but I couldn't make it. On other forums I can't believe what people are saying.

The track was not at fault in any way.

It's a shame to lose somone so young, but at least he did it doing something he loved rather than some other way.

There have been many wrecks at many tracks. This wasn't the first and surely won't be the last, though maybe the next one won't be as bad once they figured out why it happened.

I did read somewhere that the chutes burned right off.
A similar accident happened there years ago. The drivers name escapes me, but he was driving Roland Leong's Hawaiian Punch car. He was knocked out halfway down the track and bouncing off the wall and went through the sand trap and hit the wall at the end.

Another time I was at the motocross track which is adjacent to the shutdown area and a jet car wrecked and landed on the fence(over the wall) next to the moto X. The riders were pretty freaked because where the car wrecked was right at a very important and dangerous turn to the stairstep hill.

From what I heard on the radio this morning, the NJSP are investigating the scene.
Posted on: 2008/6/23 11:53

biggrizzly Re: Tragedy at Englishtown
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

If people go throwing blame around unwaranted and without proper investigation, it won't be long and we won't be able to race any more at all anywhere.
I have heard about many people that have tried shutting down Capitol Raceway in Crofton, MD becasue of a number of different reasons. We should not give anyone fuel to continue that kind of thinking. So it is important for the car enthusiasts that enjoy racing, to not provide false ammunition to the anti-racing crowd.

My prayers to his family and hope the track gets everything straightened out.
Posted on: 2008/6/23 13:41

CentralCoaster Re: Tragedy at Englishtown
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

This looks like a worst-case scenario to me, maybe not preventable.

These fireballs happen all the time in NHRA, I guess they just usually happen earlier in the run or don't damage the chutes as much. If you watch the vid, the chute, or at least part of it was still there, just not enough to slow him down.

I guess they need auto-ejection seats? I feel for the family, but the driver knows any time he gets in the seat could very well be his last. If it wasn't dangerous, it wouldn't be racing.
Posted on: 2008/6/23 18:03

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.