Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
297 user(s) are online (254 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  4L60E
Automatic Transmission - 4 Speed

1st Gear: 3.06
2nd Gear: 1.62
3rd Gear: 1.00
4th Gear: 0.70

Reverse: 2.29

- Used in production GM models...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

volzfan Magnaflow muffler question......
Senior Guru
Kingsport, TN
306 Posts

Does anyone know how tough it would be to adapt these to my '85?
Magnaflow Exhaust

I know the pipe size is slightly larger, but I can overcome that pretty easy. Is anyone aware of any other issues?

Thanks in advance!
Posted on: 2008/7/21 14:11

Matatk Re: Magnaflow muffler question......
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22804 Posts

I believe the hanger brackets are different, but that should be easy to remedy.

Maybe someone else can comment on this.

Matthew
Posted on: 2008/7/21 14:51

Midnight85 Re: Magnaflow muffler question......
Guru
Streator, IL.
264 Posts

From what I can see in the picture the brackets are the same as the early C4. Good looking mufflers, I went with a Magnaflow (not these) to help get rid of resonance. I can listen to my radio again, I'm quite pleased with them.
Posted on: 2008/7/22 1:40

jhammons01 Re: Magnaflow muffler question......
Senior Guru
1044 Posts

Those have plenty tubing on them so you can cut and weld to fit. Or maybe they want you to slide the larger pipe over the smaller OE

I wouldn't however. I'd take them to a true MUFFLER shop (not midas) and have them weld and fit the mufflers in place.

If they are good they'll weld mating flanges on your existing pipe and these new ones. that way you can drop them if you like. But also at the same time a good shop will make sure they are hanging properly....both at the same height. Nothing looks worse than one side sitcking out further or one side hanging lower.....or worst of all....one sticking out a funny angle.

You trying to jam them together while lying on your back in your garage....the chances of failure are high. Not saying anything about your abilities....just muffler shops are pros that do this shit all the time.
Posted on: 2008/7/22 14:51
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

volzfan Re: Magnaflow muffler question......
Senior Guru
Kingsport, TN
306 Posts

Quote:

Midnight85 wrote:
From what I can see in the picture the brackets are the same as the early C4. Good looking mufflers, I went with a Magnaflow (not these) to help get rid of resonance. I can listen to my radio again, I'm quite pleased with them.

Which Magnaflow system did you go with? Cat-back, or complete system.....?

Thanks!
Posted on: 2008/7/22 16:59

volzfan Re: Magnaflow muffler question......
Senior Guru
Kingsport, TN
306 Posts

Quote:

jhammons01 wrote:
Those have plenty tubing on them so you can cut and weld to fit. Or maybe they want you to slide the larger pipe over the smaller OE

I wouldn't however. I'd take them to a true MUFFLER shop (not midas) and have them weld and fit the mufflers in place.

If they are good they'll weld mating flanges on your existing pipe and these new ones. that way you can drop them if you like. But also at the same time a good shop will make sure they are hanging properly....both at the same height. Nothing looks worse than one side sitcking out further or one side hanging lower.....or worst of all....one sticking out a funny angle.

You trying to jam them together while lying on your back in your garage....the chances of failure are high. Not saying anything about your abilities....just muffler shops are pros that do this shit all the time.

Thanks......I've not decided yet whether I'll take it to a shop or not, but there is a good one close that does many street rods (I've used them before), and I know they can do it. I have access to a lift and welder (but no bender), and that's how I intended to do it, if I decide to take it on myself.
Posted on: 2008/7/22 17:02

Midnight85 Re: Magnaflow muffler question......
Guru
Streator, IL.
264 Posts

I had already fabbed my own true dual system so I just bought a pair of the stainless single inlet, dual outlet mufflers and added my own tips. I like the looks of the ones you picked even better than mine. If you use them, I'd like to see installed pics. If you are concerned about resonance, call Magnaflow first. They directed me away from a muffler I had picked out and suggested the ones I got for less resonance.
Posted on: 2008/7/22 21:06

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.