Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
263 user(s) are online (238 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Bowling Green
Bowling Green, KY, is the location of the Corvette assembly plant since 1981. From 1954-1981, Corvettes were assembled in St Louis, MO.

The Natio...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

jhammons01 Fusible Links?
Senior Guru
1044 Posts

1984 C4, 82K miles, bone stock

Yesterday, not too far from home, I was going to back into a parking spot. As the gear shift hit the reverse position, the car went dead dead dead. Motor stopped at that point and the dash went black.....the only thing I noticed was that the Antenna went down, I had the door lights and the Key chime. Everything that was working was as strong as usual.

Another thing I noticed was that when I hit the door lock button, something made a slight click but the door locks did not move.

I spoke with CC on the phone ( CC is my Corvette 911) and we were thinking it was a fusible link. BUT that being said, where do I start with this one??
Posted on: 2008/8/6 15:43
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

jhammons01 Re: Fusible Links?
Senior Guru
1044 Posts

A little back ground. My Back up lights have always been shorting out....I figured I'd be under there for some reason and replace that switch....not saying this is related......but actually I cannot say either way
Posted on: 2008/8/6 15:45

rayquayle Re: Fusible Links?
Senior Guru
139 Posts

Quote:

jhammons01 wrote:
I spoke with CC on the phone ( CC is my Corvette 911) and we were thinking it was a fusible link. BUT that being said, where do I start with this one??

Sounds logical. I'd start with Fusible Link A at the starter.
Resized Image
Posted on: 2008/8/6 17:24
NCM Founder #2896
NCM Lifetime #672
Graduate of Gordon's School

CentralCoaster Re: Fusible Links?
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Yes, fusible A.

I was looking up in the manual yesterday. The circuits you say still have power come off fusible link B.

Fusible A will kill almost everything.

The next question might be why did it blow? Something may have overdrawn the circuit. The "TURN/BackUp" fuse is 15 amps, but a shorted power source to it would kill your turn signals too.

Check both backup and rear corner bulbs and the fuse anyways. A dead bulb can fall apart and cause a direct short and kill the circuit. Pull the fuse and with key on check for 12V on either side of the fuse holder. Check continuity to ground on both sides of the fuse holder.

Fusible link A has two red wires coming off of it at the starter. B and C both just have a single wire.

I would expect those things to be good for 50 amps or so. Maybe it was corroded or something and a backup circuit short blew it out before the fuse went. Or maybe some jackass saw the backup fuse was blowing constantly so they put a bigger fuse in instead of fixing the problem!
Posted on: 2008/8/6 18:12

Senior Guru
1044 Posts

CC, Ray, thank you very much, I have a place to start with. I have to get the car into the Garage and get it jacked up.

I'll have more info to report in a few hours.

This Link "A"....is it easily purchased at Kragens or is it a Dealer/Vette item??
Posted on: 2008/8/6 19:16

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Beats me...?

Maybe the wire could be cut and there's some type of equivalent rated fuseholder that could be put in its place?

Some of these links I've seen have a number on it which may be the amp rating.
Posted on: 2008/8/6 19:19

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Hmm. Here's one by beck/arnley from Rockauto.

p/n 1783204, 50 amp

[url]http://info.rockauto.com/BeckArnley/1783204.jpg[/url]

They also have 40, 60, 80...

That's a bad place for them though, it gets toasty by the starter and ypipe. Not sure if this is intended for that, plus you still have to solder the wire onto it.

NEVERMIND, DON'T USE THESE.
Posted on: 2008/8/6 19:24

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Here's some Dorman parts, not sure how these work or what replacement you'd use: (top right)

https://www.dormanproducts.com/catalog ... 3_EFinal_Part5.pdf#Page=3
Posted on: 2008/8/6 19:28

Senior Guru
1044 Posts

Holy Smokes, good call CC. there is a red wire coming from the Starter that goes into a section of connectors. Those connectors are all taped up.

The red wire is crispy and burned good....right into two pieces.

As you said CC, I can fix this issue, but what caused it to begin with??

That may take a few days....
Posted on: 2008/8/6 22:18

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Does it look like the heat source was from the wire itself, or from the exhaust burning it? Or both? Overcurrent will only effect the weakest part of the circuit which is supposed to by the fusible link, which I thought was encased in rubber.

Maybe it was mostly cooked to begin with from the exhaust, and the little bit of overcurrent from a short in the backup light circuit finished it off.

It can't be a coincidence that it died as soon as you hit reverse. Remove all 4 of those bulbs and check them for shorts.
Posted on: 2008/8/6 22:44

Senior Guru
1044 Posts

NO no, the wire is corroded green inside the casing. So it got nicked somehow and that green oxidation did it in. I think it may have merely been coincidental along with the heat of the day.

But here is my next question. I have this one link of wire that is bad. I stripped off all of the tape and the wires under neath look factory fresh. After the 16amp fusible link (encased in rubber like you described) it turns into two large gage wires that go all the way over the top of the motor...to the battery I suppose.

Am I looking to try to rip that whole link of wire out of the black housing all the way back to the battery???

OR

Should I get a connector and strip back the burned wire and add a new link just at that area.....if I did it this way, I would be replacing about 6" of pretty thick gage wire and putting a eyelet on the end that fits over that starter bolt.

Scenario two is a 20 minute job and should cost ~$10 at the most......
Posted on: 2008/8/6 22:54

NelsonV Re: Fusible Links?
Senior Guru
Sunny Southern CA
245 Posts

Fusible links, the in-line, wire type - (not the fuse-looking widget Kevin posted) - can be had at some of the chain stores (Auto Zone here in SoCAL). Don't ask the clerk, he'll try to point you to a fuse. But the fusible links are in the electrical section right near the fuses, and just look like a piece of wire in the bubble packs.

I have replaced them in the past without ever finding any apparent short or overload condition that caused the initial failure.
Posted on: 2008/8/6 22:58

Senior Guru
1044 Posts

So just splice in a new link of wire?

if so, here is what I have to worry about. There are about 5-6 wired that go into the three fusible links that were all taped up. They come out as three individual wires and all three are spliced into one Eyelet that goes under the starter bolt.

If I splice something in.......it will most likely wind up being two wires into the original eyelet and a new wire with a new eyelet.

Not that that won't work but.....am I over thinking this whole thing? I probably am and I should just go get a piece of wire and eyelet and splice away and be done thinking about it....shit, see you after I get back from Kragen
Posted on: 2008/8/6 23:06

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Fusible link A is 16 guage.

It appears to be just a short length of wire crimped between the circuit and the starter. I would get that dorman part in the link from autozone or something.

The two wires coming off it are 10 and 12 ga.

Book says to use two links to repair it:

Resized Image
Posted on: 2008/8/6 23:10

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

NelsonV wrote:
Fusible links, the in-line, wire type - (not the fuse-looking widget Kevin posted) - can be had at some of the chain stores (Auto Zone here in SoCAL). Don't ask the clerk, he'll try to point you to a fuse. But the fusible links are in the electrical section right near the fuses, and just look like a piece of wire in the bubble packs.

I was just daydreaming about how much fun he'd have trying to get one of those from an autozone clerk...

I've had to draw pictures of parts for them before.
Posted on: 2008/8/6 23:11

Senior Guru
1044 Posts

ya know, that 'other' forum has just about become useless........just an observation
Posted on: 2008/8/7 0:26

Senior Guru
1044 Posts

Test Drive went A-OK

Next issue
Posted on: 2008/8/7 0:49

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Hey, don't knock the CF. You never know when you'll need advice on floor mats or the newest in rock chip protection.
Posted on: 2008/8/7 6:10

Senior Guru
1044 Posts

lol........
Posted on: 2008/8/7 15:11

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.