Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
226 user(s) are online (188 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Sting Ray
1963 through 1967 Corvette.

Not to be confused with the Stingray, 1969-1976....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

wesmigletz "A day in the life" with a C1
Senior Guru
Land of Fruits and Nuts
325 Posts

Started out early, had an appointment to get the shift points raised on the car's 700R4. Left the house around 6:50 AM, and stopped for a Big Gulp. Life was good.

Traffic was moderate on the Hollywood freeway, and I reached Topanga Cyn in no time. At the first light on Topanga, the car started to idle a little rough. No big deal, just par for the course. The car stalled a couple lights later, but restarted immediately.

Less than a mile from my destination the POS stalled and would not re-start.

I run a tach drive distributor with a GM HEI module conversion. I cooked the module last weekend within minutes of installing a new MSD Blaster 2 Coil (Note: they are now made in China). So, I replaced the MSD coil with a new Napa coil, and installed a new Napa module last night. The car stated and idled good. The MSD killed the module within minutes.

Being the type to plan ahead, or perhaps just a pragmatic C1 owner, I had a spare distributor curved and set it up with a Pertronix Ignitor 2 this week. It was in my trunk, with a new spare coil. I touched the module, and it wasn't too hot but the coil was... just the opposite of what happened with the MSD. So, I swapped in the Pertronix coil. The car started and died. So, I called Ron (CuisinartVette), since he lived in a cave nearby.

He asked if I was out of gas. Hold on... sure enough, I was. Ron stopped by with some gas, and the car fired once and immediately died. It would not restart. The distributor had moved, or was bumped. Timed it by ear and we were on the road.

The car died and would not restart, fortunately, I was able to coast down hill to a side street, and parked in front of a C4 that was for sale. Things were starting to look up.

Checked the module, and it was scorching hot. While I'm unloading the tools and spare distributor, a cute blonde in a late model Acura pulled up and said,"Excuse me, I'm sure you get this all the time..." I'm like, excuse me, thought she was gonna ask for change or something. Then she said," Well, I just wanted to say you look great." (or something along those lines) I was like thanks... She drove away. Could she have been my next ex-wife, I may never know.

Anyway, Ron and I kinda grinned at each other, but there was work to be done. We dropped the new distributor, and the car fired right-up (almost), and has ran fine so far. I still need to get a timing light on it, re-check the floats, and adjust the mixture screws.
Posted on: 2008/10/11 2:50
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

pianoguy Re: "A day in the life" with a C1
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Excellent! ;-)
Posted on: 2008/10/11 3:27

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

CSS996 Re: "A day in the life" with a C1
Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

Almost sounds like life with a '73 Ford F250. 'Cept my floormats weren't spray painted. But my sun visors were...
Posted on: 2008/10/11 3:33

wesmigletz Re: "A day in the life" with a C1
Senior Guru
Land of Fruits and Nuts
325 Posts

Quote:

CSS996 wrote:
Almost sounds like life with a '73 Ford F250. 'Cept my floormats weren't spray painted. But my sun visors were...

Good story, sounds almost believable, until you get to the part about the floor mats. Everybody knows that 73 ford trucks didn't come with mats. Heck, probably didn't even have carpet, just a rubber pad. Good story, though.
Posted on: 2008/10/11 4:15

Matatk Re: "A day in the life" with a C1
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Sounds like an adventure. Not one I'd like to go on, but an adventure none the less. Glad you got it going.

So what did Ron do while you were fixing the distributor? Hold your Big Gulp?

Matthew
Posted on: 2008/10/11 5:22

Senior Guru
Land of Fruits and Nuts
325 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Sounds like an adventure. Not one I'd like to go on, but an adventure none the less. Glad you got it going.

So what did Ron do while you were fixing the distributor? Hold your Big Gulp?

Matthew

The C1 made it home under it's own power, which is a good thing. Unfortunately, the big gulp had long since been emptied by the time Ron showed-up.

With regards to the distributor swap, we were working in parallel. Probably only took us 15-20 minutes.
Posted on: 2008/10/11 15:30

BrianCunningham Re: "A day in the life" with a C1
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

Posted on: 2008/10/11 17:10

pianoguy Re: "A day in the life" with a C1
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

If you had an LTx C4, you'd have to carry a lot more stuff in your trunk to swap distributors. And the cute blond probably would've just kept on driving ;-)
Posted on: 2008/10/11 17:46

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Senior Guru
Land of Fruits and Nuts
325 Posts

I actually like C4s, but I can't see myself owning one because they are at the age where stuff is starting to break, and trouble shooting and fixing it would be problematic at best... especially the dash and inside the car electronics.

I've been contemplating late model engine swaps for our cars, but beyond the electronics for the engine/EFI, my cars will remain in the stone ages.

I give props to those commuting daily in an older C4 or C5.
Posted on: 2008/10/11 18:17

wesmigletz Tuning Update
Senior Guru
Land of Fruits and Nuts
325 Posts

Timing set 20* initial 38* Total
Idle RPM Park 800
Idle RPM in Gear 625
Idle Vacuum in Park 18" and steady

Given my somewhat healthy cam, I think this is pretty good.

Resized Image
Resized Image
Posted on: 2008/10/11 19:03

cuisinartvette Re: "A day in the life" with a C1
Elite Guru
1782 Posts

Quote:

pianoguy wrote:
If you had an LTx C4, you'd have to carry a lot more stuff in your trunk to swap distributors. And the cute blond probably would've just kept on driving ;-)

LOL! Some middle eastern guy (type that doesnt need a phone they are so loud) pulls up in a van and asks how much the way it sits?
I answer 45.
"Whats wrong with it that thing is @## sweet!"
"Module"
"Oh...man that thing is beautiful! Then points at the C4 behind us and yells, "You know what that is, thats a POFS!" and laughs;
Points back at the 62 and yells, "Now thats a Corvette"!
Glad I didnt pipe in and say uh yeah, got one of those.
Posted on: 2008/10/11 22:05

Click here if your browser does not automatically redirect you.

Senior Guru
Land of Fruits and Nuts
325 Posts

Ron, it must of been karma or something. I get hit on by a nice lookin younger blonde girl, and you get leg-humped by an older ME dude. Oh well, thems the breaks..

BTW, thanks again for the help.
Posted on: 2008/10/11 23:40

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.