Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
293 user(s) are online (236 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  MAF
Mass Air Flow sensor. Used to measure the amount of air entering the intake. This sensor works by heating an element and then measuring the rate of c...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
« 1 (2)
 Register To Post

cuisinartvette Re: What do you guys think of this motor ?
Elite Guru
1782 Posts

[QUOTE]Who wants a motor that starts making power at 3000 rpm's or so.....Boring![/QUOTE]

I like one that starts coming alive about 3-3500 and feels like a semi rearended you at 5000. not practical but a kick in the azz to drive.

Torque motors make more sense and are more liveable for sure but theres something about rolling down the street at 30 and that sucker is still loping.
Posted on: 2008/11/28 21:30

Click here if your browser does not automatically redirect you.
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

pr0zac Re: What do you guys think of this motor ?
Elite Guru
Pittsburgh
1045 Posts

Quote:

cuisinartvette wrote:
[QUOTE]Who wants a motor that starts making power at 3000 rpm's or so.....Boring![/QUOTE]

I like one that starts coming alive about 3-3500 and feels like a semi rearended you at 5000. not practical but a kick in the azz to drive.

Torque motors make more sense and are more liveable for sure but theres something about rolling down the street at 30 and that sucker is still loping.
i agree and disagree, if you have an unusable amount of torque what do you have? a slow dyno queen cause all its doing is spinning.... a great quote i love to use on all my turbo buggy friends is "spinning ain't winning".
Posted on: 2008/11/28 21:35

dan0617 Re: What do you guys think of this motor ?
Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

Quote:

. Kinda like flow numbers.

....and there it is. OK, I'll say what all are thinking. Jsup, why do you cause such conflict in every engine thread that someone asks a question? Why do you get involved in EVERY engine thread? Can't you ever just answer the question instead of saying things like "the basis of the question is flawed"? Or perhaps just read one and not reply if you don't like the question asked? You ruined another thread with long posts about your point instead of letting the thread run it's course with the point of the original poster. Just look at this mess. Then you will act all innocent about it like you didn't mean for it to go this way. We all know better. I hate to say anything but I can't take anymore. I like this forum too much to see this happen to it. Every engine thread on this forum now is 3 or 4 pages long with posts from you that nobody wants to take the time to read once they read the first one and see where it is going. Will you please stop it? I honestly am not coming to this forum as much any more because of the way every engine or head post turns into 5 pages of bullshit.

To the OP, good question! Critiquing builds of others is what helps us to learn more about future builds of our own. I agree with TPI421's opinion. The CR is low and it is hurting both HP and torque. Another option for that combo would be about 10 or 12 lbs of boost and it could probably still run on low octane gas. Definitely agree that with that big of cam it is bleeding off too much of the already low CR, and they are leaving alot on the table.
Posted on: 2008/11/28 22:24

Elite Guru
Pittsburgh
1045 Posts

Quote:

dan0617 wrote:

To the OP, good question! Critiquing builds of others is what helps us to learn more about future builds of our own. I agree with TPI421's opinion. The CR is low and it is hurting both HP and torque. Another option for that combo would be about 10 or 12 lbs of boost and it could probably still run on low octane gas. Definitely agree that with that big of cam it is bleeding off too much of the already low CR, and they are leaving alot on the table.
i noted in my post that it the low compression effected the power it made and if you look at the end of the article they put a supercharger on it.
Posted on: 2008/11/28 22:34

Jeffvette Re: What do you guys think of this motor ?
Elite Guru
Not on CF
1297 Posts

Not exactly sure why or how this got into another brand "x" vs brand "y" head (ok I do know) but the low numbers can attributed to many different factors. Cam selection, head selection and the biggest factor is piston selection.

Running a 9:3 compression ratio on any motor is going to bring down overall power numbers. But they never had any plans for even leaving that motor NA. I think with a better piston alone, bringing the CR up to a 11:0 or even 11:5 that they might pick up maybe 25-30 on both sides. And then factor in a better cam you will pick up more power. But they wanted a stock idle and low speed drivability.

With all that said I take any magazine article and read it with an open mind, then after I look for the bias. All of them are biased to something.
Posted on: 2008/11/28 22:46

Elite Guru
Pittsburgh
1045 Posts

tap tap.. is this on??
Posted on: 2008/11/28 23:17

BeachBum Re: What do you guys think of this motor ?
Master Guru
751 Posts

I like torque motors for street/strip cars.... run a tight converter and still 60 ft fairly hard.
Posted on: 2008/11/29 1:26

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3933547 ... chevrolet-corvette/page-1

« 1 (2)
You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.