Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
83 user(s) are online (53 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  L98 Intake Bolt Sizes
This is data compiled by CentralCoaster. It lists all the bolt sizes for a stock L98 intake manifold and some of the attachments.

These are commo...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

movnviolation Followup to AAARRRG!
Guru Newb
Hesperia, Calif
188 Posts

Got a call from AFR today and my heads are ready to pick-up. They could find nothing wrong with them. They did a pressure test and checked all the angles and everything is correct. They did see that the coolant is seeping from between the deck and the heads because they see two (2) exhaust ports in one head, and one (1) exhaust ports in the other appear appear to have been steam cleaned (example). No impressions from the gaskets are found in the heads. They questioned the torque. The deck is fine as I had no problems prior to putting the new heads on.

Eric of AFR asked if I was using ARP bolts. I advised that I am. He asked about the torque and I told him I torqued the heads to 65 ft. lbs. He advised me that thye btorque is different.
I checked with ARP and they advised that the ARP bolts are to be torqued to 75 ft. lbs. with moly lubricants, and 85 ft. lbs. with 30 wt. motor oil. I am guessing 80 ft. lbs. with permatex?
Some body tell me that 15 ft. lbs. would let it leak?

Had the intake checked by a performance shop/race engine builder. They had a slick tool that is the angle of a stock chevy intake and slid it along the bottom of the inake. The builder asked me what the problem was and when I told him I had water comming out of the header at start up.
He said that sounds like a head or gasket problem.

Any thoughts again!

Thanks
Posted on: 2009/2/6 1:28

BrianCunningham Re: Followup to AAARRRG!
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

That's both good & bad.

I'd check the block for a crack
Posted on: 2009/2/6 1:41
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

tjpreul Re: Followup to AAARRRG!
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
1103 Posts

I had a set of heads where a water port did not line up with the one on the block. This dumped a lot of water into the engine. They had been installed on another car, and it no problems. Both were early 70's small blocks.
Posted on: 2009/2/6 5:03

'92 auto, MSD, Banski, Taylor wires, SS lines, C5 rims, 3.07 gears, white gauges, seats from a '96.

Motor: Forged rotating assy, Probe pistons, CC valvetrain, AFR heads, Procharger P1SC

bogus Re: Followup to AAARRRG!
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

that sounds like core shift, if the ports don't line up.

I doubt 15 ft lbs would cause this...
Posted on: 2009/2/6 5:53

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

anesthes Re: Followup to AAARRRG!
Master Guru
Boston, MA
646 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
that sounds like core shift, if the ports don't line up.

I doubt 15 ft lbs would cause this...

If the gasket lines up to the heads.

And the gasket lines up to the block..

And the intake gasket lines up to the heads, and the intake..

My guess is the block is at fault. He needs to check the decks with a machinest straight edge and a feeler gauge.

What head gaskets were used?

-- Joe
Posted on: 2009/2/6 11:39

dan0617 Re: Followup to AAARRRG!
Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

Did you "roll in" the threads on the new ARP bolts? If you didn't do that (by tightening and loosening and re-tightening them 5 times, I think, it's in the directions) then that may have been your problem. If you were on the light side of the torque anyway, then the bolts weren't thread rolled, the torque was likely WAY less than it should have been after the engine was fired up and heated up.

Another issue is whether or not you ran a tap or thread chase through the threads in the block that the head bolts screw into. I don't know the story on your build so I thought I'd mention this. If the threads are dirty with old permatex or anything it really throws the torque wrench off.

If you did roll the threads in and chase the threrads, I HIGHLY doubt the difference in recommended torque settings caused your problems. I've always torqued mine to 70 ft lbs using permatex thread sealant and liquid wrench spray on the washers and bottom of bolt head for lube. No problems so far, but my bolts are rolled in and I always run a tap through the head bolt threads in the block to clean them out.
Posted on: 2009/2/6 16:41

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.