Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
180 user(s) are online (152 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  4L60
The automatic from 1992-1993. The same as the 700R4, just has a different name.

Either way, they are junk. There are some minor differences on a ...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

BrianCunningham anti-squat with an IRS
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

OK here's the question

Since the uprights don't see engine torque

Can you even have anti-squat with and IRS, any IRS?

They'll see braking torque, since the brakes are mounted on the uprights, unless you running inboards, but engine torque is a 'pass through' deal.
Posted on: 2009/2/26 18:06
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

CentralCoaster Re: anti-squat with an IRS
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I guess I'd have to remember exactly what anti-squat is to begin with.

But yeah, no reaction from engine torque on the spindles. All they see is the forward acceleration of the car, a force from the axle centerline. I would guess the effects of that would be very small compared to the torque you'd see on a solid axle.

Anyhow, with the dogbones pointing upwards, this force would try to lift the rear of the car, partially countering against the weight transfer pushing it down. The taller your wheel is, and the steeper the dogbones are, and the lower the center of gravity, the less squat you get on an IRS.
Posted on: 2009/2/26 18:12

BrianCunningham Re: anti-squat with an IRS
Senior Guru
7763 Posts

This is the analysis in question

Photobucket

And this is why I asked

[QUOTE]redrose:
do NOT consider the C4 rear suspension as a "4-link", it is NOT...the C4 rear suspension is a "torque arm" (vaguely similar to pre-1955 chev "torque tube" design or recent circle track "fifth coil" designs (less the coil), but differing from those as outer bearings (spindles) are divorced from the torque arm, on the C4...there is NO engine torque input to the C4 rear spindles, thus no chassis reaction (squat) caused by spindle controls (dogbones), under acceleration/decel--the torque arm (aka "C-beam), alone, does ALL "engine torque" input to the chassis...the dogbone/rear spindle does act as a "brake floater" and WILL input during braking, only.[/QUOTE]
Posted on: 2009/2/26 20:06

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

What is the significance of the 10 degree angle?

Seems like you should be comparing the angle to that instant center, to the angle between the contact patch and CG.

What would that antisquat value look like if you added in the torque from the knuckle (non-C4) to be twisting around the rear IC? It would increase, right?
Posted on: 2009/2/26 23:17

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

I see where I went wrong, anti-dive/squat have nothing to do with torque

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suspension_(vehicle)

Quote:
Anti-dive and anti-squat

Anti-dive and anti-squat are expressed in terms of percentage and refer to the front diving under braking and the rear squatting under acceleration. They can be thought of as the counterparts for braking and acceleration as jacking forces are to cornering. The main reason for the difference is due to the different design goals between front and rear suspension, whereas suspension is usually symmetrical between the left and right of the vehicle.

Anti-dive and anti-squat percentage are always calculated with respect to a vertical plane that intersects the vehicle's center of gravity. Consider anti-dive first. Locate the front instant centers of the suspension from the vehicle's side view. Draw a line from the tire contact patch through the instant center, this is the tire force vector. Now draw a line straight down from the vehicle's center of gravity. The anti-dive is the ratio between the height of where the tire force vector crosses the center of gravity plane expressed as a percentage. An anti-dive ratio of 50% would mean the force vector under braking crosses half way between the ground and the center of gravity.

Anti-squat is the counterpart to anti-dive and is for the rear suspension under acceleration.

Anti-dive and anti-squat may or may not be desirable depending on the suspension design. Independent suspension using multiple control arms can be an issue if the percentage is too high (say over 30%). A percentage of 100% in this case would indicate the suspension is taking 100% of the weight transfer under braking instead of the springs. This effectively binds the suspension and turns the independent suspension into no suspension like a go-cart. However, in the case of leaf spring rear suspension the anti-squat can often exceed 100% (meaning the rear may actually raise under acceleration) yet because there isn't a second arm to bind against and the suspension can freely move. Traction bars are often added to drag racing cars with rear leaf springs to increase the anti-squat to its maximum. This has the effect of forcing the rear of the car in the air and the tires onto the ground for better traction.

I think you right, that 10deg line is wrong
Posted on: 2009/2/27 0:07

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

here we go, just what I was looking for
http://sccaforums.com/forums/347654/ShowThread.aspx#347654
Quote:
Short answer - you can have anti-squat with IRS, though in practical application you are limited to a fraction of that available in a live axle.

Bit of a discussion on it here:

http://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12696
Posted on: 2009/2/27 0:34

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

from that thread
Quote:
The geometric construction is only slightly different from what's been posted above, but it generally represents a huge difference in launch behavior (as you already know). The anti-squat line for IRS passes through the rear axle rather than the rear contact patch.

See the ** note in the November 28 post in this thread. Redraw the constructions to suit and you'll probably find the A/S line is at a fairly shallow slope. Perhaps somebody has C5/C6 rear suspension data; I suspect that it runs a bit more A/S than the RX7s did.

Other than doing things to make a big change in SVIC location - maybe some rear shocks with lots of bump damping will help?

Norm
Posted on: 2009/2/27 0:47

CFI-EFI Re: anti-squat with an IRS
Senior Guru
Top of Utah
372 Posts

Quote:

BrianCunningham wrote:
OK here's the question

Since the uprights don't see engine torque

Can you even have anti-squat with and IRS, any IRS?

They'll see braking torque, since the brakes are mounted on
the uprights, unless you running inboards, but engine
torque is a 'pass through' deal.

What are you referring to as "uprights"? The knuckles?
They "see" ALL the engine torque.

In answer to "can an IRS have anti squat", I say yes.

The quoted redrose is largely wrong. The comparison of the
"C" beam to a torque tube is only partially valid.
Regardless there still is (and always will be) a reaction
for every action. With a Hotchkiss suspension the "action"
is the tires clawing to grasp the pavement. The "reaction"
is the banjo housing twisting in the opposite direction of
the rear tires. With IRS, whether the diff is bolted to
the chassis, like a C3 or there is a "C" beam like a C4,
the "reaction" is mostly limited to the knuckles, because
they are detached from the differential. The pinion rising
on a Hotchkiss suspension is more the axle housing rotating
backward in reaction to the torque at the tire patch than
anything else. If not, the spindly, flexible, "C" beam of
a C4 couldn't come close to controlling the forces. The
reactive forces are controlled by the dog bones instead of
a pinion snubber and slapper bars. Anti lift can easily be
designed into the geometry of the dog bones.

I think the engine torque, mostly being referred to here,
is the engine rotational torque and the reaction, thereof,
which is controlled by motor mounts and the batwing.

In the illustration, the instant center should be where a
line drawn through the dog bones intersect. That probably
is where the point labeled "IC" came from but the line
extending through the lower dog bone is omitted from the
drawing, probably to keep the drawing from becoming too
"busy".

Also, I think it is interesting to note that, as drawn, the
center of gravity is forward of the midpoint of the
wheelbase.

RACE ON!!!
Posted on: 2009/2/27 1:32

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Sorry, you lost me at the knuckles "see" the engine torque.

They don't. They can't. There's a bearing in there, which can't transmit any torque to the knuckle.

The 3rd member on the other hand, does see the torque, because the pinion is trying to climb the ring gear, pushing the snout upwards. You can do that all day long, but the only torque it's going to transmit to the knuckles is some tiny amount from the twisting/binding of the lower camber rod bushings.

You're right about the IC being drawn wrong...

I have a feeling that somebody that does this stuff for a living is going to show up here and make us all feel stupid!
Posted on: 2009/2/27 15:36

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:..

I have a feeling that somebody that does this stuff for a living is going to show up here and make us all feel stupid!

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/autoc ... n-irs.html#post1569104665

Of course if you don't ask
Posted on: 2009/2/27 16:09

Senior Guru
Top of Utah
372 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
Sorry, you lost me at the knuckles "see" the engine torque.

They don't. They can't. There's a bearing in there, which can't transmit any torque to the knuckle.

I haven't figured out how to explain or illustrate it, yet, but I'm pretty sure they do. I understand the point about the wheel bearing. But there are wheel bearings in a solid wheel end also.

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
The 3rd member on the other hand, does see the torque, because the pinion is trying to climb the ring gear, pushing the snout upwards. You can do that all day long, but the only torque it's going to transmit to the knuckles is some tiny amount from the twisting/binding of the lower camber rod bushings.

I don't think the pinion trying to climb the ring gear is the major force, here. Remember, the torque input at the pinion yoke is only approx 1/3 the torque at the spindle. If the bulk of the torque were at the pinion yoke, the "C" beam would be turned into a pretzel. I disagree about "tiny amount from the twisting/binding of the lower camber rod bushings." It is the dog bones connected between the knuckle and the frame(?) that take care of the reactive twisting.

As a further example, look at the C5 and C6 with their upper and lower control arms like the front suspension. With no 4 link bars, traction bars, or what ever you would prefer to call them the C5 & C6 have major wheel hop problems. Especially when you increase the traction. Just like it does with a Hotchkiss suspension.

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:

I would welcome that also.

RACE ON!!!
Posted on: 2009/2/28 0:59

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

CFI-EFI wrote:
But there are wheel bearings in a solid wheel end also.

Yes there's a bearing, but it's the axle tube that transmits torque from the diff over to the trailing arms and whatever else is attached to it. Bearings can't transmit or resist torque.

Quote:

I don't think the pinion trying to climb the ring gear is the major force, here. Remember, the torque input at the pinion yoke is only approx 1/3 the torque at the spindle. If the bulk of the torque were at the pinion yoke, the "C" beam would be turned into a pretzel.

The pinion trying to climb the ring gear is exactly the opposite reaction of the torque to the rear axles. And the C-beam counteracts that. If you put enough power down, the C beam doesn't turn into a pretzel, but it does rip the front snout off the diff as the diff tries to twist upwards. Take that C-beam off (and put on a tranny mount) and dump the clutch, and the rear diff will tear loose from it's batwing bushings and rotate upwards into the floorboard.

Yes the torque along the driveshaft is 1/3 less, but that is counteracted by the batwing and motor mounts, and transmitted to the frame.

Now the dogbones, you could put the car on jackstands and remove them entirely, put the car in gear and punch it, and the knuckles wouldn't rotate at all. The only torque transmitted to them would be the bearing and brake drag, and the slight twisting of the lower camber rods with their glorious binding bushings.
Posted on: 2009/2/28 2:25

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Resized Image

My Corvette specs book shows 62% anti-squat for 87 and 88 vettes.
Posted on: 2009/2/28 2:54

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Since the C6 has rear control arms, does that mean the instant center is infinitely in front of the car, and at the same height as the hub?
Posted on: 2009/2/28 2:56

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

they're mounted at an angle the intersection of that angle give the IC.

Kinda like auti-dive on the front.
Posted on: 2009/2/28 21:36

Senior Guru
Top of Utah
372 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
Now the dogbones, you could put the car on jackstands and
remove them entirely, put the car in gear and punch it, and
the knuckles wouldn't rotate at all.

That is true of a solid axle too. With the car on jack
stands there is no traction and no action for there to be an
equal but opposite reaction.

I DO see and understand the point of the wheel bearing
not being able to transmit torque back to the knuckle.
Apparently I had it screwed up in my head. My main source of
confusion is the wheel hop in a friend's C6. What do you say
causes the C5 and C6 wheel hop?

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
My Corvette specs book shows 62% anti-squat for 87 and 88
vettes.

My 1984 Spec book ssys:
"Rr susp geometry - control arms pos to produce 51% anti-squat."

RACE ON!!!
Posted on: 2009/2/28 22:45

mseven Re: anti-squat with an IRS
Senior Guru
Motor City Madhouse
247 Posts

Quote:

Now the dog bones, you could put the car on jack stands and remove them entirely, put the car in gear and punch it, and the knuckles wouldn't rotate at all. The only torque transmitted to them would be the bearing and brake drag, and the slight twisting of the lower camber rods with their glorious binding bushings.

I agree with the c. beam and upper bat wing mounts controlling to a point the pinion climbing (I think the motor mounts are also a factor). Basically because it is the only attachment point to the diff. and the half shafts would be independent of that reaction. Unlike a solid because the diff.is connected/part of the axle tube assembly and can be controlled through a variety of methods (pinion snub, 4 bar etc.).

At what point then under load do the "dog bones" come into play ? height changes through acceleration/squat etc.? Or, the force being applied under torque (example, presuming the tire actually is getting bite)? or a combination of both ?

*the tech drawing provided a few posts above appears to show the overall wheel base at 96. is that correct? *
Posted on: 2009/3/1 13:36

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

mseven wrote:
Quote:

*the tech drawing provided a few posts above appears to show the overall wheel base at 96. is that correct? *

yes
Posted on: 2009/3/1 17:44

Senior Guru
Top of Utah
372 Posts

My owner's manual shows the wheel base for the '84 at 96".
My 1984 Corvette Spec book says 96.2".

RACE ON!!!
Jim
Posted on: 2009/3/1 18:09

mseven Re: anti-squat with an IRS
Senior Guru
Motor City Madhouse
247 Posts

thanks......For some reason I thought the wheel base was a bit longer.
Posted on: 2009/3/1 19:02

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

mseven,

The dogbones are loaded up when the tire pushes the rear axles forward. This pushes the knuckles forward, which push everything else.

If the dogbones slope up at an angle, the axles tries to push underneath them, causing rear lift.

If the dogbones sloped down, you can see the axle tries to climb over it... up into the fender... which equals squat.

Of course that's only half the equation.
Posted on: 2009/3/2 7:25

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

Off the SCCA forum

Quote:
Herb Adams book Chassis Engineering has a good chapter on IRS using the C4 as a example.... explains a LOT about this. Good book to have if you are a BSP/SM2 guy with a C4.

Only real downfall of a IRS is the anti-squat, practical limit is about 25%.

Looks like I have some shopping to do!
Posted on: 2009/3/10 16:23

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I checked my Caroll Smith books and he didn't say anything about anti-squat. He also recommended drilled brake rotors. Go figure.
Posted on: 2009/3/10 16:26

Senior Guru
Top of Utah
372 Posts

Quote:

CFI-EFI wrote:

My 1984 Spec book says:
"Rr susp geometry - control arms pos to produce 51% anti-squat."

RACE ON!!!

Quote:

by BrianCunningham on 2009/3/10 10:23:06 wrote:

Off the SCCA forum

Quote:

Herb Adams book Chassis Engineering has a good chapter on IRS using the C4 as a example.... explains a LOT about this. Good book to have if you are a BSP/SM2 guy with a C4.

Only real downfall of a IRS is the anti-squat, practical limit is about 25%.

?????

RACE ON!!!
Posted on: 2009/3/11 14:14

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I wonder if they're using the same baseline. Is 100% neutral, or 0% neutral?

I also have zero faith in the numbers in that Corvette specs book.
Posted on: 2009/3/11 14:52

Senior Guru
Top of Utah
372 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
I wonder if they're using the same baseline. Is 100% neutral, or 0% neutral?

I also have zero faith in the numbers in that Corvette specs book.
Which Corvette specs book are you referring to when you say, "that Corvette specs book"? Do you have any idea that I am using as a source?

RACE ON!!!
Posted on: 2009/3/11 17:47

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Its "Corvette Specs" by mike antionick and covers 84-96. It has that same 51% value as you quoted. Some of the specs just don't make sense. For example, 87-88 saw lots of suspension changes, yet much of the specs and values are exactly the same, verbatim. I think at the very least some of the specs are copied onto years where it shouldn't.
Posted on: 2009/3/11 20:26

Senior Guru
Top of Utah
372 Posts

I'm not familiar with him. My spec book is labeled for 1984. It doesn't pretend to cover any other year. Possibly he has quoted (and maybe misquoted) my source. It is the MVMA spec sheet as supplied by Chevrolet. I have scanned the cover and the page showing the "anti squat" specs, but I am having problems up loading it to my photo host. It keeps getting interrupted. I'll try again later. I have something else I have to do now.

RACE ON!!!
Posted on: 2009/3/11 21:49

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I believe that is his source. I recall somewhere there was criticism of the MVMA specs (maybe from the author himself), that GM wasn't very careful about the specs in the first place, and that some of them were pre-production.

I really don't know exactly. But there's no way in hell 87 and 88 have the same rear anti-squat if GM moved the dog bone brackets in 88.
Posted on: 2009/3/12 2:23

Senior Guru
Top of Utah
372 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
I believe that is his source. I recall somewhere there was criticism of the MVMA specs (maybe from the author himself), that GM wasn't very careful about the specs in the first place, and that some of them were pre-production.

I really don't know exactly. But there's no way in hell 87 and 88 have the same rear anti-squat if GM moved the dog bone brackets in 88.

I never addressed the rear anti squat in anything other than the 1984, for which I have the specs. The track of the suspension was widened in 1988. The knuckle and the spindle were the principle components that implemented the change. If the dog bone bracket were moved to align with the new knuckle position, the anti squat wouldn't have to change. However, I am not discussing the validity of Mike Antionick's information. Here is my source of 1984 Corvette specs:

Resized Image

Here is the page showing the anti squat:
Resized Image

RACE ON!!!
Posted on: 2009/3/12 14:46

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.