Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
311 user(s) are online (255 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Dana 36
This references the rear differential.

The Dana 36 was the smaller unit. It was used on all 1984 Corvettes, and all automatic Corvettes thru 1996...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

GPGG70 First thread in this tech section. 69 Style Sidepipes.
Guru Newb
Nixa Missouri
41 Posts

Hello guru members.
First time posting a question in this section & would appreciate some feedback on the 69 (original GM)style side pipes for my 1970 coupe with 350 SB, AC,PB,PS, 400 auto.
When I bought my coupe the 69 GM style side pipes have made it all the way down to me from the first owner that had them installed back in 70. I've talked to the original owner many times and he is a corvette owner and in fact still owns and vette restore shop in California. The set of exhaust currently on the car is going on the dumpster. I've decided to restore the side pipe covers and have done so and now looking at the exhaust pipes for the coupe.
I'm at a point (CONFUSED) as to whether I want to have the loud or quite sidepipes. I was looking at Sweet thunders and at Willcox side pipes both the loud and quiet type exhaust.
I talked to Mr. Willcox of Willcox Corvette Parts and he has me sold on the quite style side pipes for the car, but I'm still not satisfied with myself whether to go with the loud(stock) or a quite exhaust. I'm asking myself, if I get the loud will they be overbearing and or if I get the quite exhaust, I'm thinking dam I should of went with the loud set.
What do you all with any style sidepipes like or change if you could or are you happy with what you have.
Thanks for any help.
P.S. This is why I'm going to as many vette shows as soon as possible to be able to hear the side pipes first hand.
Thanks again.
Posted on: 2009/3/12 17:48
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

donhall Re: First thread in this tech section. 69 Style Sidepipes.
Senior Guru
297 Posts

deleted
Posted on: 2009/3/12 18:12

Durango_Boy Re: First thread in this tech section. 69 Style Sidepipes.
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

I know Willcox personally, have met him for lunch and talked with him many times. He's usually right on and won't try selling your something that he wouldn't put on one of his own Vettes...of which he and his partners and friends have many. Put it this way...while we were talking he's always talking about more cam and more air and more power and more compression. I am sure I have even heard his quiet side pipes and to be honest I think they are just what you are looking for. They are louder than stock exhaust but not outrageous like the loud ones. Just saying, I think the quiet is just a term and they aren't really as quiet as you are imagining.
Posted on: 2009/3/12 21:35

GPGG70 Re: First thread in this tech section. 69 Style Sidepipes.
Guru Newb
Nixa Missouri
41 Posts

Quote:

Durango_Boy wrote:
I know Willcox personally, have met him for lunch and talked with him many times. He's usually right on and won't try selling your something that he wouldn't put on one of his own Vettes...of which he and his partners and friends have many. Put it this way...while we were talking he's always talking about more cam and more air and more power and more compression. I am sure I have even heard his quiet side pipes and to be honest I think they are just what you are looking for. They are louder than stock exhaust but not outrageous like the loud ones. Just saying, I think the quiet is just a term and they aren't really as quiet as you are imagining.

Howdy DB,
Yes Sir I'm in full agreement with you about Willcox opinion and his judgement as well. We had a long email chat the other day and like I mentioned he pretty much sold me on his explanation of the quiet side pipes. He wasnt throwing me a sales pitch either, which is why I do business with them. My problem is me or my ears. Do I want to hear more or less rumble.
BTW, Willcox told me about the time you made a visit to his store. He told me he had to send some of his staff out to the store to buy a big mop and bucket & take it back to the shop and follow you around and mop up all the drool you were leaving behind when he started showing you his vettes and some of his friends vette. LOL
I bet that was fun.
Thanks for the advice.
Posted on: 2009/3/12 21:54

BillH Re: First thread in this tech section. 69 Style Sidepipes.
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

It runs in my mind that the 69 pipes were a good bit quieter than the chambered sidepipes on my 67, but the last time I heard some (and paid attention) was years ago.

I think you're right on about attending as many shows as possible before you buy. Track down someone in a club?

For me, I'd go with what came fron the factory but I'm into louder.
I pulled the resonator and mufflers off my 92 LT1 and put fully chambered catbacks on. They definately bark at low speed but are quiet on the highway.
But, again, they don't dump out right beside your left ear like sidepipes do.
Posted on: 2009/3/12 23:56

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.