Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
221 user(s) are online (186 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  National Corvette Museum
The mission of the National Corvette Museum is to celebrate the Corvette's invention, and preserve the legendary automobile's past, present, and futu...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

klkordzi Coilovers My Way and Other Pics
Guru Newb
Pittsburgh, Penna
152 Posts

I finally got around to taking some pics of what I've done to my 85 so far. I credit LD85 with a lot of the inspiration on the suspension. I plan on getting it inspected soon so I can start driving it this summer. Next project is headers, cam, get the C5 calipers installed and next year will be paint. I've pretty much settled on silver with black stripes.

Attach file:

jpg  DSC01088.JPG (596.08 KB)
642_49bd7454c1ac5.jpg 1900X1267 px

jpg  DSC01090.JPG (460.08 KB)
642_49bd74ac1f7cc.jpg 1900X1267 px

jpg  DSC01091.JPG (538.32 KB)
642_49bd74c29f77d.jpg 1900X1267 px

jpg  DSC01093.JPG (541.47 KB)
642_49bd753620137.jpg 1900X1267 px

jpg  DSC01096.JPG (556.19 KB)
642_49bd75515faa9.jpg 1900X1266 px

jpg  DSC01102.JPG (364.36 KB)
642_49bd756eab7d5.jpg 1900X1267 px

jpg  DSC01100.JPG (474.96 KB)
642_49bd7586be5c0.jpg 1900X1267 px

jpg  DSC01105.JPG (468.21 KB)
642_49bd75c67576a.jpg 1900X1267 px

jpg  DSC01106.JPG (531.64 KB)
642_49bd75e491ef4.jpg 1900X1267 px

jpg  DSC01107.JPG (544.14 KB)
642_49bd75fbf1f18.jpg 1900X1267 px

jpg  DSC01109.JPG (560.14 KB)
642_49bd761c4ae33.jpg 1900X1267 px

jpg  DSC01111.JPG (451.72 KB)
642_49bd76304ae79.jpg 1900X1267 px
Posted on: 2009/3/15 21:44
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Dads90 Re: Coilovers My Way and Other Pics
Guru
Pearland, Tx
318 Posts

Looks good..
Posted on: 2009/3/15 21:48

BrianCunningham Re: Coilovers My Way and Other Pics
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

Nice, let us know how you like the improvements.
Posted on: 2009/3/15 22:11

BillH Re: Coilovers My Way and Other Pics
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Coilovers are great.
Is it just the picture or are there threads showing in the nut on the front shock mount at the top?

I also feel the rod ends on the rear links should have safety washers.
Posted on: 2009/3/16 0:52

Matatk Re: Coilovers My Way and Other Pics
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22807 Posts

Looks like a lot of custom work there. Very nice! When will you be testing it all out?

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/3/16 11:36

Trae1976 Re: Coilovers My Way and Other Pics
2012 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Johnson City, TN
832 Posts

Nicely done, klkordzi.

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Is it just the picture or are there threads showing in the nut on the front shock mount at the top?

I also feel the rod ends on the rear links should have safety washers.

I think its the picture. It looks to me like the bolt extends a couple of threads beyond the nut. Can see it again in the third pic.

And I think I see lock washers under the nuts in the rear. I see lots of Loctite too.
Posted on: 2009/3/16 12:02

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Trae1976 wrote:

I think its the picture. It looks to me like the bolt extends a couple of threads beyond the nut. Can see it again in the third pic.

And I think I see lock washers under the nuts in the rear. I see lots of Loctite too.

It may be my eyesite & the pic.

The lockwashers & locktite are fine, I thimk the red is a marker to see if the nuts come loose. But the safety washers are a totally different thing. They prevent the rodend from leaving it's attachment point if the bearing race becomes seperated from the rodend, like in a curb impact.
Posted on: 2009/3/16 14:39

klkordzi Re: Coilovers My Way and Other Pics
Guru Newb
Pittsburgh, Penna
152 Posts

I haven't gotten it inspected yet so have been taking short trips around the block, going a little more and driving a little harder each time. Did a little full throttle from stand still this weekend and everything held together. The red on the nut is actually loctite. Any thoughts on the rear tie rods? Did a lot of playing around to get them parallel to the half shafts. Also will need to get it aligned front and rear as everything was apart to put in the poly bushings. Lastly, the lower rear shock mounts I did up to move the coilover away from the knuckle and do away with having to space it out on the shock mount to get clearance.
Posted on: 2009/3/16 23:30

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

Quote:

klkordzi wrote: Any thoughts on the rear tie rods? Did a lot of playing around to get them parallel to the half shafts.

So long as they match the stock geometry you should be OK
I'd brace the opposite side so it's not cantilevered.
Posted on: 2009/3/16 23:38

corvetteronw Re: Coilovers My Way and Other Pics
Senior Guru
Lowell, MI
646 Posts

Looks very nice.
Ever thought about painting it '04 Corvette Spiral Gray with a silver stripe or silver with a Spiral Gray stripe?
Posted on: 2009/3/17 3:45

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

BrianCunningham wrote:
Quote:

klkordzi wrote: Any thoughts on the rear tie rods? Did a lot of playing around to get them parallel to the half shafts.

So long as they match the stock geometry you should be OK
I'd brace the opposite side so it's not cantilevered.

I always setup rodend links with trammel bars. It makes your L&R suspension dimensions identical and makes for easier alignment.
Posted on: 2009/3/17 13:58

Guru Newb
Pittsburgh, Penna
152 Posts

BillH, what do you mean by Trammel bars?
Posted on: 2009/3/17 22:56

Andrew Re: Coilovers My Way and Other Pics
2013 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Jefferson City, MO
447 Posts

Very nice!! Did all of that work drop the car any? How stiff can they be adjusted?
Posted on: 2009/3/17 23:36

Sold - 1996 Competition Yellow LT4 - DRM 383, NX N2O, Line Lock, LT Headers, 3" stainless exhaust, Power Effects, and many more mods

SOLD 1996 Competition Yellow LT4
SOLD 1979 4 Speed with 383

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

Quote:

klkordzi wrote:

That's a new one on me too.

Any pics?
Posted on: 2009/3/18 1:45

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

klkordzi wrote:

I promise you guys that I'm going to get a computer that will post pics soon, this POS locks up every time I try.
Anyway,
There are all kinds tranmmel bars, they are basically an adjustable chassis setup bar that will measure two or more points. Longacre used to make a very high quality one that you use with rod ends.
It has a 3ft piece of aluminum channel, 3in wide with 3/8th x 6in. slots cut up the middle. Into those slots you attach steel pegs that are the same size as the rod ends. The pegs are pointed on the top and have a threaded hole on the bottom. You take a bolt, put it thru the slot in the channel and into the bottom of the peg. Do the same on the other end of the channel with another peg. The slots in the channel let you adjust for length and the points on top of the two pegs let you measure the exact rod link length you want. Measure the points with a steel rule, lock the peg bolts, slide your rodends (attached to the link tubing) over the pegs and tighten the tube locknuts.
The beauty of this is that you pull off that assembly (call it the right side) and put on the left side link, tighten the locknuts and you have R & L links that are identical.
Doing this for all the links assures you that your suspension is absolutely square before you start your alignment.
If you install rodend links without measuring and you adjust the tube lenghts on the car ( trying to get them to fit, whatever) you could be way off, possibily hsve the car crab down the highway,etc. This may be fixed on the alignment rack, but will take longer.

For the street, you can get away with just using a measuring tape on the rod links.

Trammel bars can also be built to do wishbones (A-arms) and 3 point suspension pieces.

To give you an idea how accurate building suspension this way is, the last Formula E racecar (like the one in my avaitar) I built with the trammel bar was put on the scale platform and came out within 10lbs on every corner before I did any adjustemnt.

Sorry for the long winded post.
Posted on: 2009/3/18 15:40

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

I'm going to need something like that for mine.

I'm going with adjustable a-arms as well as the back.
Posted on: 2009/3/18 17:06

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

BrianCunningham wrote:

I had to build a fixture for the wishbones on the formula car due to the way they attached to the uprights.

If your a-arms have the rodends vertical at the frame and the one at the spindle horizontal, you can still use a trammel bar. Just set things up with all 3 rodends in one plane and rotate one (or 2) 90 degrees making sure you rotate all of them the same way.
Posted on: 2009/3/18 21:39

Guru Newb
Pittsburgh, Penna
152 Posts

Thanks for the info Bill. To answer Andrew's question I've got things set front and rear so the car sits about an inch over the wheels. Coilovers make it very easy to adjust the height, just turn the nut on the body of the coilover. The shock I used has a single adjustment although you can get QA1' that are double adjustable. I have all the shocks set at 1 so I have some adjusting to do. Right now the front springs are pretty much at their lowest point on the shock. Iam using 10inch 425# springs up front and could go with an 8inch for more adjustment. Will probably drive it awhile and see how it feels on the highway before I make any changes.
Posted on: 2009/3/18 23:17

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Quote:

BrianCunningham wrote:

I had to build a fixture for the wishbones on the formula car due to the way they attached to the uprights.

If your a-arms have the rodends vertical at the frame and the one at the spindle horizontal, you can still use a trammel bar. Just set things up with all 3 rodends in one plane and rotate one (or 2) 90 degrees making sure you rotate all of them the same way.

Here's what I'm getting

http://www.guldstrand.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=181

Resized Image
Posted on: 2009/3/19 13:22

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

klkordzi wrote:
Thanks for the info Bill. To answer Andrew's question I've got things set front and rear so the car sits about an inch over the wheels. Coilovers make it very easy to adjust the height, just turn the nut on the body of the coilover. The shock I used has a single adjustment although you can get QA1' that are double adjustable. I have all the shocks set at 1 so I have some adjusting to do. Right now the front springs are pretty much at their lowest point on the shock. Iam using 10inch 425# springs up front and could go with an 8inch for more adjustment. Will probably drive it awhile and see how it feels on the highway before I make any changes.

The most effective thing you can do on setup is to get the car on a set of scales. Any decent raceshop in your area should be able to set the ride heights/cornerweights in an hour, so the cost wouldn't be that high.
If that's not possible and you're doing the ride heights yourself, you should be setting them with a driver in the car that weighs about the same as you. You can simulste a driver with sandbags, lead, whatever, just weigh them on your bathroom scale.

Your shocks are rebound adjustable, yep, start on #1 setting. Find a unused bumpy back road (I know there's plenty around, I grew up in Pa.). Find a slightly bumpy corner that you can go thru at a safe speed, like 40-45, and make a couple of runs in both directions. Then adj. the shocks up 3 -5 clicks and run the corner again. Adj. up 3-5 again. How does the car feel? What your looking for is a feeling that the car is getting skiddish. At that point you can back off one click.
OA1's have an awfully fast ramp up in bump, so they can get skiddish fairly fast when you're making runs.
Note that your rebound adjustment is controling the way the shocks extend, not controling the way they compress and this can help you with push or oversteer after you do your initial adjustment. This takes takes more testing but, say your rear feels a little loose, on the bumps coming out of the corner, you can add a click of rebound on the rear to keep the rear down a little longer ( takes a little more time to come up because of more rebound and should stick to the track a little better).
Posted on: 2009/3/19 14:04

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

BrianCunningham wrote:

Here's what I'm getting

Brian, a jig for those looks really easy. I'm assuming that the on link where you can't see the bolt head is still a threaded connection ( where it goes thru the b/j plate).

You could do it with a piece of flat stock and a couple of the threaded rod couplers that you can get at Lowes. One hole in the flat could be fixed with a bolt thru it into a rod coupler then a slot on the flat with a bolt thru it into the rod coupler that could be moved to the length you wanted. The bolts in your lokns could screw into the couplers ( obvoiusly the couplers would have to have the same thread.).
Posted on: 2009/3/19 14:16

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

One other thing I thought of after looking at the swaybar thread, when you set your rode height (w/driver weight). Do it with the sway bars disconnected. This takes any swaybar preload off. You only need to disconnect one side of the bars.
The adjust the swaybay links so that the bars bolt up easily, with no preload.
Posted on: 2009/3/19 14:30

Guru Newb
Pittsburgh, Penna
152 Posts

Thanks Bill. Will check on that, your suggestion has me wondering if the swaybar isn't preloaded and hanging the front end. When I set the end links up the wheels were off the ground
Posted on: 2009/3/21 20:42

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

klkordzi wrote:
Thanks Bill. Will check on that, your suggestion has me wondering if the swaybar isn't preloaded and hanging the front end. When I set the end links up the wheels were off the ground

It's possible that that happened with the wheels up but, consider that the sway bar rotates in it's 2 mounts, so the lengths of the links are not critical unless thay cause the bar to contact something. The bar will just move up as you lower the car. What's important is that the link mounting bolts go in easily when the car's on the ground. Going in easily means no preload.
Posted on: 2009/3/22 12:58

Guru Newb
Pittsburgh, Penna
152 Posts

I took the end links apart this weekend and there was a bit of preload. I made the adjustments so the bolts slid easily on both sides.
Posted on: 2009/3/24 1:24

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Cool, now go drive it.
Posted on: 2009/3/24 1:39

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.