Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
120 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

frannyzvette Need a step in the right direction
Guru Newb
NJ
8 Posts

I have a 91 vert. This past November, the starter went on it, took us this long (March) to realize that the starter we replaced in November was bad, got another, works great but now I have another problem. My car has an after market alarm (Viper) installed by the previous owner. I know that an aftermarket alarm will mess things up, but, it has been working fine. But now, after sitting, the key FOB won't lock my doors, just unlock, which makes my vette alarm go off. My vette alarm works normally if I just use my key to lock/unlock. I have pulled apart the door, relubed the locks, but same result. My question is....is it the vette lock actuator or something else or is this a problem with Viper that I should go to an installer?
Posted on: 2009/3/24 17:21
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

tjpreul Re: Need a step in the right direction
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
1103 Posts

When I first got my car, the power locks wouldn't lock. The motor was working. I took the door panels off and lubed the linkages. It took a while to work them free, but they are working now. I used WD-40 to clean them, then I used white lithium to lube them.

Make sure the motors are trying to lock the doors when using the FOB. If so try to relube the linkages.
Posted on: 2009/3/24 17:40

'92 auto, MSD, Banski, Taylor wires, SS lines, C5 rims, 3.07 gears, white gauges, seats from a '96.

Motor: Forged rotating assy, Probe pistons, CC valvetrain, AFR heads, Procharger P1SC

frannyzvette Re: Need a step in the right direction
Guru Newb
NJ
8 Posts

But my power locks do work. It just does not lock with the Viper Key FOB.
Posted on: 2009/3/24 17:55

TommyT-Bone Re: Need a step in the right direction
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33786 Posts

I also have a Viper alarm system with my standard GM anti-theft system. I figured out this routine that seems to work for me. Before I turn off the ignition (or have the key in the on position) I lock the doors. Then I turn the key off and close the doors. The Viper system arms about 30 seconds later. These two systems are independent of each other. If I close the doors and set the alarm with the Viper key FOB my GM system goes off when the Viper sets. After I got the Viper I wish I would have left it alone in the first place but I wanted to unlock my doors remotely. Give this a try and let me know if it works for you.

Key on

Lock doors

Turn off and remove key

Close doors

Wait about 30 seconds till the Viper sets.

Now your dually armed.

Open with remote

Start and your good to go .........
Posted on: 2009/3/24 17:56

tjpreul Re: Need a step in the right direction
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
1103 Posts

Then I would try the signal wire from the security box and make sure it has a pulse (voltage) when the lock button is pressed on the FOB. If so check the connections to the lock motors.
Posted on: 2009/3/24 17:59

'92 auto, MSD, Banski, Taylor wires, SS lines, C5 rims, 3.07 gears, white gauges, seats from a '96.

Motor: Forged rotating assy, Probe pistons, CC valvetrain, AFR heads, Procharger P1SC

Guru Newb
NJ
8 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
Before I turn off the ignition (or have the key in the on position) I lock the doors.

I will try this and let you know. I guess you mean the key in the on position cause when I turn off the car, my locks automatically unlock my locks.

When I lock my doors does it matter if I use the power locks or manually lock? the reason I ask is if I use the power locks my vette alarm will definately go off and if I manually lock I know it won't go off.
Posted on: 2009/3/24 18:39

Guru Newb
NJ
8 Posts

Quote:

tjpreul wrote:
Then I would try the signal wire from the security box and make sure it has a pulse (voltage) when the lock button is pressed on the FOB. If so check the connections to the lock motors.

Security box? From Viper? Not sure where that is or how it looks like? If I did, I would not what Viper I have, maybe? We have played around with the connections to the locks already when we took apart the door this past weekend.
Posted on: 2009/3/24 18:41

Guru Newb
NJ
8 Posts

Quote:

frannyzvette wrote:
Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
Before I turn off the ignition (or have the key in the on position) I lock the doors.

I will try this and let you know. I guess you mean the key in the on position cause when I turn off the car, my locks automatically unlock my locks.

When I lock my doors does it matter if I use the power locks or manually lock? the reason I ask is if I use the power locks my vette alarm will definately go off and if I manually lock I know it won't go off.

no, didn't work. When my key is on the "on" position, and I turn it off, it automatically unlocks my locks. I can only lock once my key is off.
Posted on: 2009/3/24 19:36

red_johnny Re: Need a step in the right direction
On Sabbatical
Augusta, GA (85 383 stroker)
3213 Posts

I would email Viper and find out if they have a solution to this problem.
Posted on: 2009/3/24 20:05

TommyT-Bone Re: Need a step in the right direction
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33786 Posts

Mine do not automatically open when the key is turned off. We have a different setup. My trucks operate like yours though.
Posted on: 2009/3/24 20:27

Guru Newb
NJ
8 Posts

Quote:

red_johnny wrote:
I would email Viper and find out if they have a solution to this problem.

This was their answer "If the Viper system is capable of unlocking it must also be disarming. They happen simultaneously. I believe there might be an issue with the factory alarm in your vehicle or the Viper integration into the factory alarm. "
Posted on: 2009/3/24 20:37

Guru Newb
NJ
8 Posts

I have an appointment around 4 on Thursday. Will let you know the outcome. Thanks for the help.
Posted on: 2009/3/24 21:31

BillH Re: Need a step in the right direction
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Interesting, what both you and Tommy said. I have the opposite on my 92 with a Excaliber alarm. If I open the door, hit the lock button on the door, shut it and then hit the lock on the Fob, the Vats goes off.
I ignore it by only using the Fob.

One thing I'd try before taking it to a shop. The Viper should be able to be programed not to unlock the doors when you turn off the key. I'm asuming that they lock when you turn the key on.
I turned this function off on my system. It's possible that with this function off, your alarms may get along with each other.
Posted on: 2009/3/24 22:18

Guru Newb
NJ
8 Posts

Quote:

One thing I'd try before taking it to a shop. The Viper should be able to be programed not to unlock the doors when you turn off the key. I'm asuming that they lock when you turn the key on.
I turned this function off on my system. It's possible that with this function off, your alarms may get along with each other.

No, my locks do not lock when I turn on the key. I know a long time ago they did, but that function stopped. The only reason I know it unlocks is when I locked the door manually, (when I parked it for example), then drove it off, turn it off and it unlocks the door.
Posted on: 2009/3/24 23:20

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.