Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
289 user(s) are online (273 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Mirrors
Side mirrors: both should move in all directions.

A little whirring from the motor is normal....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Danspeed1 Product Review - Brown Royal Wheel Cleaner and Aqua Gloss Review (pics)
Elite Guru
Mooresville, North Carolina
1121 Posts

I have been looking for a new wheel cleaner for quite sometime. I have been using P21s wheel gel for the past year and although it is a very effective and more importantly "safe" wheel cleaner, it is extremely expensive and I have had a couple of jobs where it has not completely delivered. I decided to give Flash Products a try after viewing their video on youtube. I know there is limited information on the web about these products so I thought i would post my results.

Before I begin I would like to mention that I have absolutely no affiliation with this company... These are my independent findings.....

The Test Vehicle:

My 95 Monte Carlo Z34's wheels. PLEASE NOTE: The wheels were very far from perfect before I started cleaning them. They are dinged, chipped and there was paint stripping off of them prior to using these products. I wasn't expecting a perfect out come because these wheels were not perfect, they have over 200K on them and they are rarely cleaned these days; which is also why they are great wheels to test on.

Ok, so here are the wheels. 10K miles of heavy brake dust, and 200K miles on the road. The last time I cleaned them they brake dust came off with the P21s, BUT there was still embedded yellow brake dust I could not get off the lips.
These brakes dust worst than a BMW; this stuff was caked on.

[IMG]http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r97/BG528/BrownRoyal002.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r97/BG528/BrownRoyal001.jpg[/IMG]

Out with the Brown Royal Wheel Cleaner....

[IMG]http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r97/BG528/BrownRoyal005.jpg[/IMG]

So I started the process by soaking the wheels with this stuff. Brown Royal is actually brown, and it smells like lickerish, it is also very sticky. Next time I will use gloves.

[IMG]http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r97/BG528/BrownRoyal006.jpg[/IMG]

And the tires also.......

[IMG]http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r97/BG528/BrownRoyal008.jpg[/IMG]

Flash states that you can just spray on and rinse off immediately after. But I know nothing is really that good so I decided to modify the process. I sprayed this stuff on and let it dwell for 3 full minutes. Then I proceeded to use "meguiars safe wheel brush" just to agitate the stuff on the wheels and loosen it up.

[IMG]http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r97/BG528/BrownRoyal009.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r97/BG528/BrownRoyal010.jpg[/IMG]

After agitating, I let it sit on the rims for one more full minute.
You can already see the brake dust just dripping off.

[IMG]http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r97/BG528/BrownRoyal011.jpg[/IMG]

Finally, just rinse....

[IMG]http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r97/BG528/BrownRoyal012.jpg[/IMG]

And here's the results..............

[IMG]http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r97/BG528/BrownRoyal012.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r97/BG528/BrownRoyal013.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r97/BG528/BrownRoyal015.jpg[/IMG]

Results:

In my opinion, the results of this product where outstanding. The rims did not need to be "re-cleaned" and the embedded brake dust that has been plaguing me since I purchased the vehicle years ago (even after many P21s washes) was FINALLY GONE!!! Overall I was very impressed with this product, and intend to order a gallon of it next week. I am still not sure how "safe" of a wheel cleaner this is because had any damage been done to the rims I wouldn't be able to tell because they are so old. BUT IT SURE DID REMOVE THE BRAKE DUST WITH EASE. I would have to rate this product a 9.5 out of 10 SO FAR.

Now onto Aqua gloss tire gloss.

I am going to keep this one short. Just as impressed as I was with Brown Royal I was equally disappointed with aqua gloss. It was hard to apply, does not shine when put on light, does not shine when put on heavy, and slings all over the car. I would rate this product a zero out of 10, and could not recommend it to anyone.

I am just happy I found one winner in this bunch.

Two big thumbs up for Brown Royal!

If you are interested in what aqua gloss looked like.... here goes...

[IMG]http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r97/BG528/BrownRoyal021.jpg[/IMG]

Application was basically spray on, wipe excess off, let dry for an hour.

[IMG]http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r97/BG528/BrownRoyal022.jpg[/IMG]

Afterwards I took a 10 mile trip into town and back...
Here are the lackluster results....

[IMG]http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r97/BG528/BrownRoyal024.jpg[/IMG]

And plenty of sling!
[IMG]http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r97/BG528/BrownRoyal025.jpg[/IMG]

I look forward to trying there other products in the future; I think they may be a very cost effective solution to other "prestige" products like P21s, with comparable or better results!

Dan
Posted on: 2009/3/25 3:54
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: Product Review - Brown Royal Wheel Cleaner and Aqua Gloss Review (pics)
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

That wheel cleaner is impresive.

I prefer the slightly dull finish the tire cleaner left... I don't like overly bright sidewalls; however, the sling off is not good.
Posted on: 2009/3/25 4:30

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Matatk Re: Product Review - Brown Royal Wheel Cleaner and Aqua Gloss Review (pics)
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Wow - the rim cleaner looks great. I might have to pick some up for the rims on my xterra - they are filthy with brake dust.

Price/location of purchase?

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/3/25 11:18

Trae1976 Re: Product Review - Brown Royal Wheel Cleaner and Aqua Gloss Review (pics)
2012 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Johnson City, TN
832 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:

Posted on: 2009/3/25 11:39

Epimax Re: Product Review - Brown Royal Wheel Cleaner and Aqua Gloss Review (pics)
Elite Guru
Wilmington, NC
1814 Posts

Quote:

Trae1976 wrote:
Quote:

Matatk wrote:

:me2:
Posted on: 2009/3/25 14:16

Danspeed1 Re: Product Review - Brown Royal Wheel Cleaner and Aqua Gloss Review (pics)
Elite Guru
1121 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Wow - the rim cleaner looks great. I might have to pick some up for the rims on my xterra - they are filthy with brake dust.

Matthew

Surprisingly enough, I bought this stuff from Joe's company here on C4 guru. Joe Carolla (Flashman) market's his products specifically to corvette owners and detail enthusiasts, yet I've never run across anyone on this site or any of my others using his products. This stuff is cheap compared to my 1 liter bottle of P21s wheel gel I spend nearly $25 a bottle on plus shipping. You can get a gallon of this stuff for like $15 and it has so many other purposes. Its a definite winner in my book, and I will continue to use it as my wheel cleaner and all purpose cleaner "go to" product for really tough grime.

Unfortunately I can't say the same for his tire gloss. It's a real disappointment. But this still won't stop me from trying the rest of his line! I think there are still a couple of other great products to be had.... and again, you can't beat the price.

Dan
Posted on: 2009/3/26 1:26
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

Danspeed1 Re: Product Review - Brown Royal Wheel Cleaner and Aqua Gloss Review (pics)
Elite Guru
1121 Posts

I am assuming the guy in the video is Joe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEhR3e35ZBE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXGlPfToH64

Take a second and watch both videos.

DG
Posted on: 2009/3/26 1:29
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

BillH Re: Product Review - Brown Royal Wheel Cleaner and Aqua Gloss Review (pics)
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Dan, The Royal Brown is really impressive, thanks for sharing. I'd buy it if I had the need.

I personnaly don't buy wheel cleaners because my wheels don't get that dirty. Even my Silverado get washed once a week and car wash soap takes off the brake dust.

I agree with Andy on the shiny tires, not my cup of tea.
Posted on: 2009/3/26 14:16

Flashman Re: Product Review - Brown Royal Wheel Cleaner and Aqua Gloss Review (pics)
Senior Guru
Tampa Bay, Florida
174 Posts

Hi Dan,

I am glad that you are happy with Brown Royal wheel cleaner. Its very popular and we sell a lot of it. Although, I am suprised that you are not happy with Aqua Gloss tire shine.Its as popular as our Brown Royal. Many customers like it and a lot of car washes use it in our area. It should not sling unless you spray it on heavy and it puddles in the edges of the tires. If it does not dry, it will sling when you take off. Aqua Gloss has a water repellant silicone in it. It will not have a high shine on older dry tires on the first application.If you dilute it with water it will also lower the shine and will not be as durable. It will leave a high shine on a clean tire.

Aqua Gloss is water-based and contains the same silicone that is used in solvent/silicone based tire dressings, like hot shine, wet wheels etc. But solvent/silicone dressings are not enviromentally friendly or biodegradable. The EPA has adopted VOC laws (Volitle Organic Compounds) in many US states.Florida currently has not adopted this law, but will in the near future. Most of our products are VOC compliant including Aqua Gloss.

Solvent/silicone tire dressings will deliver the silicone onto a dry rubber or plastic surface a lot better than a water-based tire shine. We manufacture a solvent/silicone dressing, but I can not ship it because it is flammable and mostly sold to Used car lots that deal with sun beaten vehicles. Also, solvent/silicone tire dressings will sling a lot, and when mixed with brake dust it will stain/deteriorate the paint on light color vehicles and can deteriorate plastic ground effects.

Maybe you got a bad bottle, but I am very consistent when I blend our products. Please call Kellie and we can send you out a new bottle or a different tire dressing at no charge. I will also send you some samples of our Grape Gloss spray wax and our Deep Purple wash & wax soap if you like. Thanks.

Joe Carollo - Flash Man
Flash Auto Detail Products
727 582-9073
Posted on: 2009/4/23 2:44

Elite Guru
1121 Posts

Hey Joe,

Wish I had been on here to see your post sooner! I just placed another order for Brown Royal! This time I purchased a gallon. I can't emphasize enough what a great wheel cleaner this stuff is. Just cleaned a set of wheels on a 2004 Pontiac GTO (they are notorious for being hard to clean) and the results were outstanding, the rims looked new when I was done.

Speaking of which, I wanted to ask,.... I was thinking of using this stuff as a degreaser on painted surfaces also. Do I need to dilute this stuff or can I use it straight?

As for the Aqua Gloss, I haven't used it since that day, but I will give it another try.... this time applying thinly and evenly, and then allowing it to dry overnight. Hopefully that will make a difference.

Dan
Posted on: 2009/4/26 4:39
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

Mekanic Re: Product Review - Brown Royal Wheel Cleaner and Aqua Gloss Review (pics)
Registered Vendor
Tampa Bay Florida
827 Posts

LOVE Joe and all of his products, I use them religiously on all my cars.

Brown Royal is the best wheel cleaner period.

I LOVE Aqua gloss for my tires.

For a degreaser, order some Cherry Bomb, its impressive.

His Deep Purple soap is fantastic.

Brush & Glow is all that my interiors ever see.

But his best product is Grape Gloss.. That stuff is FANTASTIC!!!!
Posted on: 2009/4/26 17:01

Yea tho I walk through the valley in the shadow of rice, I shall fear no turbo, for torque art with me.

Flashman Re: Product Review - Brown Royal Wheel Cleaner and Aqua Gloss Review (pics)
Senior Guru
Tampa Bay, Florida
174 Posts

Hi Dan,

Yes, Brown Royal is very concentrated and can be diluted. 1:3 for wheels and up to 1:6-8 for bugs, tar and tree sap on clearcoated surfaces. It will not harm painted surfaces, or service labels in the engine bay. You must use caution on unclearcoated raw aluminum wheels or diamond plate. Must dilute Brown Royal 1:6 or more when cleaning this type of surface.

You can not use a low ph cleaner (acid) or a high ph cleaner (BR) on this type of surface. Hazing may occur and will need to be polished with a metal polish. This is the reason why auto manufacturers clearcoat polished wheels. It keeps the beauty of the wheel, stops it from oxidizing and can be cleaned without hazing. Brown Royal works very well on this type of surface if properly diluted.

I just noticed you live in upstate NY. Aqua Gloss does not dry very well in cold weather. It dries faster here in Florida. Aqua Gloss increases gloss as it dries. Maybe this could be part of the problem. You do not have to let it dry overnight in colder weather. Just let the sun hit the tires and it will dry. Email me your address and I will send you some samples of our other products. Thanks.

Joe Flashman
Flash Auto Detail Products
Posted on: 2009/4/27 13:18

Senior Guru
Tampa Bay, Florida
174 Posts

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the kind words about our products. How have you been? Did you ever get your Corvette painted? Glad you mentioned Cherry Bomb all purpose cleaner. Its a safe cleaner like simple green, but it does not streak wheels or painted surfaces. If you are ever in the neighborhood, stop in our store. We detail our Corvettes here on Saturdays and try different products. Take care.

Joe Flashman
Posted on: 2009/4/27 13:27

Mekanic Re: Product Review - Brown Royal Wheel Cleaner and Aqua Gloss Review (pics)
Registered Vendor
Tampa Bay Florida
827 Posts

No problem at all Joe! I've actually been pretty miserable for the last few months haha, but I don't feel like getting into all of it right now.

Still no paint, funds are very low due to the reasons above, so I just keep taking care of it the best I can.

I may come down there this weekend or the next. Always looking for an excuse to get out of the house.
Posted on: 2009/4/27 19:24

Yea tho I walk through the valley in the shadow of rice, I shall fear no turbo, for torque art with me.

Elite Guru
1121 Posts

If either of you could tell me a little more about Cherry Bomb I would appreciate. I am interested in this product, but Brown Royal seems to take care of all my nasty messes thus far. I know what an all purpose cleaner is, but specifically, what do you guys use it for. What is it good at.

Joe, I would be glad to send you my address; I will never turn down free samples!

P.S. Just got my gallon of Brown Royal in the mail today!

Dan
Posted on: 2009/4/28 2:39
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

Elite Guru
1121 Posts

Hey Joe,

I sent you a PM

Dan
Posted on: 2009/4/28 2:44
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

Senior Guru
Tampa Bay, Florida
174 Posts

Hi Dan,

Cherry Bomb all purpose cleaner/degreaser can be used on wheels for light to moderate brake dust. Works good on tires, whitewalls, engines,vinyl tops etc. You can dilute Cherry bomb 1:15 for vinyl, leather seats, door panels, carpets etc. Cherry bomb can also be used for household cleaning. Cherry bomb is an all around cleaner.

Brown Royal will clean brake dust better, but not for use on interiors etc. Cherry Bomb is also safe on wheels and painted surfaces. I use Cherry bomb around the kitchen sink and wiping down the kitchen table after meals. Cherry bomb does all. Got your message. Take care.

Joe Flash
Posted on: 2009/4/28 13:35

Senior Guru
Tampa Bay, Florida
174 Posts

Hi All,

This is what Aqua Gloss Tire Shine looks like when it is sprayed on a warm smooth tire. If you dont want a high shine, just wipe it on with a sponge applicator and it will leave a satin gloss.

Joe Flash

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_1823.JPG (568.22 KB)
1655_4a5bab8c42f9b.jpg 3264X2448 px

jpg  IMG_1822.JPG (551.97 KB)
1655_4a5bac02b1a91.jpg 3264X2448 px
Posted on: 2009/7/13 21:50

Elite Guru
1121 Posts

Just ordered two more gallons of brown royal and a few other products I liked when I used the samples Joe gave me. I tried the aqua gloss again recently and I didn't have any luck with it. But seeing as Joe had great success in the picture above I may be applying it improperly or something. Might be user error? In any event, the customer service over at Flash is just outstanding.... and that is more enough to keep me trying new things. This is a great company to work with, and Joe is a stand up guy. Can't wait to get my stuff in the mail!!!!!

Dan
Posted on: 2009/7/18 0:53
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.