Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
336 user(s) are online (278 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Stingray
1969 through 1976 Corvette.

Not to be confused with the Sting Ray, 1963 - 1967....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Mekanic Anyone know of...
Registered Vendor
Tampa Bay Florida
827 Posts

Any dirt cheap motorcycles for sale?

I've got that same urge to start riding that I've been getting every 4 months for a few years now, and now, I'm not talking myself out of it.

I'm looking for a cheap (or loaned heh) starter bike for once I complete the MSF course.

Now, reply with praise or try to talk me out of it haha.
Posted on: 2009/3/29 12:38

Yea tho I walk through the valley in the shadow of rice, I shall fear no turbo, for torque art with me.
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: Anyone know of...
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Craigs List. That's where I would start. Then the good ole' Tampa Trib classifieds...

Considering the cost of delivery, you don't have a lot of options here... I mean, Tommy is the closest Guru to you.
Posted on: 2009/3/29 17:31

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

TommyT-Bone Re: Anyone know of...
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

There has to be a ton of bikes by you. Check out some of the good ol'boys in the country classifieds. Bike Trader?
Posted on: 2009/3/29 17:55

CentralCoaster Re: Anyone know of...
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Cruiser or sportbike?

I would recommend starting out on a sportbike since it will develop your skills better. But don't get a 600, they have 2-3X more hp than a 500.

Look for a Ninja 500 or Suzuki GS500 with light crash damage. Shouldn't be more than $1500 for one in good operating condition. Either one is highway worthy. The GS isn't as sporty, but you'll grow out of both within a year anyways. Check the tire date, many bikes have ancient tires on them. If it's over 5 years old, you run the risk of crashing unless you fork up ~$300 for 2 new tires installed.

The MSF course I did in Dec 07 had 125cc training bikes and Honda Rebels, both of which are crap. The course won't teach you to ride either, you'll have to learn that on your own around the neighborhood for the first 2 weeks or so.

Should be a gazillion bikes for sale in FL.
Posted on: 2009/3/29 18:33

FICINJECTORS Re: Anyone know of...
Gold Sponsor Vendor
117 Posts

Posted on: 2009/3/29 19:18

Mekanic Re: Anyone know of...
Registered Vendor
Tampa Bay Florida
827 Posts

There is a gazillion, but none in my price range.

I want a sportbike, I love the look and feel, but its odd, as I have the mentality of a cruiser.

I MAY have found one, its a ton for a starter bike, but the deal is so good I don't think I can pass it up.

2002 ZX7R, 5800 miles, new tires, tasteful mods, $2400 shipped to me.
Posted on: 2009/3/29 19:19

Yea tho I walk through the valley in the shadow of rice, I shall fear no turbo, for torque art with me.

CSS996 Re: Anyone know of...
Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

ZX7 is NOT a starter bike! Too powerful and the seating position will have you crying after ten miles.

Listen to Kevin. 500cc Kawi or Suzuki. Learn it and sell it, then move up. It won't take long.
Posted on: 2009/3/29 21:57

Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

If you really want a 600, an older Suzuki Katana or Bandit might be a good choice. You wouldn't outgrow them as quickly.

I really don't like Suzuki as a general rule, but for starter bikes, you can't beat Em. When you are ready for a keeper, I think Honda and Yamaha make the better bikes. I've never owned a Kawasaki, but I've owned the others.
Posted on: 2009/3/29 22:05

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

At this point in time, you have no business buying a bike you want. Buy a bike that you can learn on safely. You only need enough hp to do 80mph on the freeway. By the time you've grown out of it you'll have a better idea what you want.

Beginner bikes are easy to buy and easy to sell. They float around the earth changing hands every year and teaching people how to ride.

After the MSF course you can go out and kick some tires. But I doubt you'll find anyone willing to let you ride a bike with any sort of power without cash in hand.
Posted on: 2009/3/29 22:22

Registered Vendor
Tampa Bay Florida
827 Posts

Quote:

CSS996 wrote:
ZX7 is NOT a starter bike! Too powerful and the seating position will have you crying after ten miles.

Listen to Kevin. 500cc Kawi or Suzuki. Learn it and sell it, then move up. It won't take long.

I agree, ZZ7R is not a starter bike by a long shot. But it is indeed how much you control yourself.

Seating position isn't anywhere near as bad as a ZX.

I think I may have a friend that will let me borrow his Ninja 500... well... half a ninja 500 lmao, its missing most of its fairings.

The ZZ7R would be put in the garage until skill dictates otherwise. I just don't want to let a deal that good pass me up.
Posted on: 2009/3/30 1:33

bogus Re: Anyone know of...
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I would look at a Katana very closely... and with a jaundiced eye. My nephew-in-law had one... and the rear swing arm bushing was shit. The bike handled unpredictably and dangeriously because of it.
Posted on: 2009/3/30 1:37

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Eh, Katanas are for chicks.

You won't have any trouble finding a bike when you've got the skills for it and know what you want.

In the meantime you'll be figuring out answers to these questions...

Touring or Sport?

V-twin or 4-banger?

Waxer or beater?

Fairing or naked?

Yeah, it's not much fun being the guy on the slow bike, but it's better than being the slow guy on the fast bike, or worse yet, the dead guy on the totalled bike.

I went on a group ride on my g/f's cruiser bike which has a whopping 28 HP. I think the guy in front of me on the yellow GSXR hurt his ego after realizing he was holding me up in the twisties.

Resized Image
Posted on: 2009/3/30 1:59

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

Mekanic wrote:

I agree, ZZ7R is not a starter bike by a long shot. But it is indeed how much you control yourself.

The starter bikes are lighter and generally easier to ride, and have a lower seat height.

This is critical in low-speed manuevers, which is when most rookie crashes happen.
Posted on: 2009/3/30 2:05

Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

Well, I started on a mid 90s Katana 600. The styling was not great, but it matched the power. I rode it for a season, and sold it for not much less than I paid for it. It needed a new rear rotor, but otherwise was no trouble.

I moved to a '98 Honda CBR900RR, and while I absolutely loved the bike, it would have killed me if it had been my first.

I kinda disagree about self control and a new rider. It's too easy to make a noob mistake that a more forgiving bike will tolerate better than a track scalpel, even a ten year old one.

Also, I'm confused about exactly which bike you are looking at. Looks like your original post says ZX7R, which was the full-on crotch rocket. I think the ZZ is actually a re-badged circa 2000 Ninja ZX6. still a crazy fast bike for a beginner. But I don't think the ZZ7 was badged that way until after 2002.

We're talking about a fully faired bike, right? Coz there was another Kawi that was a 750 with a half fairing that wouldn't be an insane first bike for a responsible adult. But still more than I would recommend.

Whatever you choose, be safe and have fun!
Posted on: 2009/3/30 2:22

Registered Vendor
Tampa Bay Florida
827 Posts

Sorry, tiredness got the best of me. yes, full faired ZX7R
Resized Image

As I said, I will not have this as a starter bike, its just too good of a deal not to buy, even if I never ride it I could turn around and triple my money.

My friend has an 05 ninja 500, minus the right fairing.. half of the left fairing, part of the front fairing, etc..

Basically I could drop it down a flight of stairs and there would be no cosmetic change lol
Posted on: 2009/3/30 3:02

Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

That is a sharp looking 7.

Hopefully you can borrow the baby bike from your buddy for a little while.
Posted on: 2009/3/30 3:29

Registered Vendor
Tampa Bay Florida
827 Posts

Quote:

CSS996 wrote:
That is a sharp looking 7.

Hopefully you can borrow the baby bike from your buddy for a little while.

yeah, its in Oklahoma, 5800 miles, 2002, muzzy exhaust, flush signals, fender eliminator, new rear tire. $2400 shipped to my house.

I think I will be able to.. If not my cousin has a Sportster I'm sure he will let me borrow.
Posted on: 2009/3/30 3:39

Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

I'd be a little worried about not inspecting it in person. Are you going to look at it, or just box 'n' bag it?

Hopefully the engine hasn't been thrashed. A really good deal if it all works out though.

Good luck!
Posted on: 2009/3/30 3:49

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.