Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
191 user(s) are online (146 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  SBC
This stands for Small Block Chevrolet. The engine debuted in 1955 and remained largely unchanged until 1986. The initials are still used today to d...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Ajetsprt Complete install in a 1992 C4
Guru
66 Posts

Hi,
I just got a 1992 C4 Coupe and want to upgrade the audio system. The stereo in the vehicle is the stock Delco Bose Gold Series AM/FM Cassette. If I am going to run all new wiring can I just unplug the two jacks on the back of the unit, remove the unit and then install the new head unit & run the wires or do I need to do anything else to stop any display alarms from going off?

I also see that Metra Electronics offers a couple wiring harness kits. Since I am going to run new wiring for speakers I would not need those leads but I could use the power leads off the Metra kit. If I use one of the Metra kits would that illiminate any display alarms? Any idea which kit I would use?

PART NUMBER 70-1855
Description: Tuner relocation harness

Product Specifications:
-Tuner bypass harness
-60" long
-Includes antenna extension and adapter
-21-pin plug
Allows installation of an aftermarket radio using the existing factory wiring and connectors. No cutting of factory wiring is needed. This particular harness bypasses the remote tuner in certain GM vehicles.

PART NUMBER 70-1856
Description:
Tuner relocation harness

Product Specifications:
-Tuner bypass
-Includes antenna extension
-17 ft long
-21-pin plug
-For non-BOSE systems only
Allows installation of an aftermarket radio using the existing factory wiring and connectors. No cutting of factory wiring is needed. This particular harness bypasses the remote tuner in certain GM vehicles.

PART NUMBER 70-1857
Description: Tuner relocation harness and Bose integration harness

Product Specifications
-Retains factory BOSE system
-Bypasses factory tuner
-21-pin plug
Allows installation of an aftermarket radio using the existing factory wiring and connectors. No cutting of factory wiring is needed. This particular harness bypasses the remote tuner in certain GM vehicles while allowing the factory BOSE system to still function.

Thanks... Jim
Posted on: 2009/4/12 2:50
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: Complete install in a 1992 C4
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Jim,

Take a moment and review the Audio FAQ. It has some answer to your questions.

The topography of the 92-96 audio makes it annoying to work with.

Review the FAQ and we can talk!

I know it needs some finishing, but the gist should be there.

Andy

PS: Welcome aboard!! Great to have you!

Posted on: 2009/4/12 3:10

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Ajetsprt Re: Complete install in a 1992 C4
Guru
66 Posts

Thanks.... I was just going over it and trying to digest it. Seems like the display alarm issue is a hit or miss thing.. Very good information! I'm not sure whether to get the wiring harness adapter or just wire the power also. I have a complete double din Alpine system (dvd/nav/ipod,cd changer/sat) ready but the first problem I think I might have is the entire face flips down to insert the dvd and it looks like it will catch on the C4 trim piece
Posted on: 2009/4/12 3:47

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Which model Alpine is that?
Posted on: 2009/4/13 0:36

Guru
66 Posts

Hi,
Been sick with the flu, sorry for the delay... The head unit is the IVA-W200 and I have Nav, CD Changer, 2 Alpine Amp, ipod & Sat Radio. Speakers are going to be JL Audio.

If you look at the picture you can see how tight it is. I can just get it inthe opening by moving it around and at the right angle it goes in. That face flips out to insert the DVD but it does not open now because it is so tight. Not sure yet how to trim the piece...

Attach file:

jpg  head_unit2.jpg (235.56 KB)
2020_49e54f707b429.jpg 413X550 px
Posted on: 2009/4/15 3:08

captmike13 Re: Complete install in a 1992 C4
Elite Guru
Hillsboro Mo
2165 Posts

welcome aboard. I have nothing to add for help. good luck.

Mike
Posted on: 2009/4/15 3:30

captmike13@yahoo.com

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

that is a tight fit, no question.

I am gonna put some thougth into it.
Posted on: 2009/4/15 4:12

Matatk Re: Complete install in a 1992 C4
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Can you sand the bezel enough to make it squeeze in easier? Otherwise you may have to cut the supports, trim the entire piece and then epoxy some supports into it.

I think some people have tried to heat the bezel and reshape it enough, but you run the risk of warping and ruining it then.

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/4/15 11:20

Guru
66 Posts

Hi,
Thanks for the welcome messages!! I have not done anything with it yet but yes it looks like I need to do some triming... Trying to think this all out before I cut.

My first step is I'm going to mount the head unit to see where everything sits(waiting on install kit). I want to make sure when the face moves forward and then tilts it does not hit the shifter (automatic trans). If it clears that then I'm going to slide the trim piece over it to see exactly how everything fits. If all that looks ok then onto how and where to cut/trim. Jagged edges will drive me crazy....

I ordered the below harness adapter, hope it is the correct one..I am only planning on using the power leads and antenna extention so I think I will be ok as long as the plug fits.

PART NUMBER 70-1857
Description: Tuner relocation harness and Bose integration harness

Product Specifications
-Retains factory BOSE system
-Bypasses factory tuner
-21-pin plug
Allows installation of an aftermarket radio using the existing factory wiring and connectors. No cutting of factory wiring is needed. This particular harness bypasses the remote tuner in certain GM vehicles while allowing the factory BOSE system to still function.
Posted on: 2009/4/16 2:29

Guru
66 Posts

UPDATE:

I picked up the installation kit & wiring harness today.

First Step:
I cut out the obstruction in the back of the dash board and the head unit was able to slide right in. Once mounted for fit I connected the power leads to the battery to test if the face of the head unit hit the shifter when fully open. As I guessed, when the door of the face unit is fully open it does hit when shifter while in park. No issue here, I just have to make sure I only open it to install a DVD while it is out of park... STEP COMPLETE!

Step Two:
With the head unit temporarily mounted I slide on the trim ring to test it's fit. Good news here... It appears the head unit door only seems to hit the trim ring at the bottom. Looks like all I may need to do is dremel down the botom of the opening on the trim ring and then test, trim and retest. Although I will do my best to keep the line straight because of the angle the head unit is on you do not even see the bottom of the trim ring.

Step Three:
Pull the head unit back out and connect the wiring to it for the Nav, Cd Changer, iPod, processor, sat radio and amps.Once set, reinstall the head unit and trim ring. I have no idea where I am going to install all this equipment but I will figure that out..

Question is it easier to run the wireing on the driver or passeneger side of the vehicle?

Step Four:
Install speakers.... I have not gotten to what will be where yet but it will be all JL Audio.

Also I did get the wiring harnes but have not connected it yet but so far no alarm.... Does it take time for the alarm to show or do you need to turn the head lights on or something for it to go off?

More updates to come.....

Attach file:

jpg  HU_photo.jpg (128.74 KB)
2020_49e97a8f45bfe.jpg 600X800 px

jpg  HU_photo2.jpg (143.89 KB)
2020_49e97b498b543.jpg 600X800 px
Posted on: 2009/4/18 6:52

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Looks good so far!

As far as running the wiring, are you referring to only speaker wire or are you running amps, power wires, etc?

In my 89 (which isn't that much different than the 92) I ran the power along the driver's side under the carpet and I ran the rca's and returning speaker wire along the passenger side. Really wasn't too difficult. Make sure to keep the power and speaker wire separate so you don't experience interference in the speakers.

Keep us posted with your progress!

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/4/18 12:23

Guru
66 Posts

Thanks... I got to do a little more work this evening on it and the unit now opens and closes without touching! I pulled it back out so I can start putting all the wiring together so when it goes back in next it can stay in... I have to find the original stereo control unit so I can get to the antenna and power cable. From what I have read it is my the glove bo but how to acess it I'm not sure yet

Yes I am going to run a power line for the amps, eq procesor cable, speaker wires, sat radio cable, nav cable, cd changer cable and the iPod cable...

Thank again...
Posted on: 2009/4/19 2:51

Guru
66 Posts

Hi again..
I'm slowly working on the wiring and am trying to locate the Vehicle Speed Sensor to connect the navagation to. Any idea where it is located? Or what it looks like?
Posted on: 2009/4/21 2:41

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

it needs the VSS? Wow.

The VSS is attached to the side of the tailshaft housing on the transmission.

I would suspect you can force a wire through the rubber grommet where the shift cable goes. I would drill a small hole off to the side, just to be sure it doesn't chaffe the wire.

It strikes me as the best place to pick up the signal from... otherwise, you are playing games with converted signals or what not.
Posted on: 2009/4/21 4:10

Guru
66 Posts

Hi...
I spoke to a guy I know at an audio shop today and he said I should be able to grab the VSS wire at the cruise control module.

He looked it up for me and he said his info says it should be a dark green wire with a white stripe located under the passenger side of the dash. I know it's a long shot but do you think this is it? There is a dark green wire with a white stripe in this blue connector.

Attach file:

jpg  wire.jpg (153.80 KB)
2020_49ef904b865e2.jpg 800X600 px
Posted on: 2009/4/22 21:46

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Unfortunately I don't know enough about the newer wiring to say. Andy should chime in, he should have a FSM for your year.

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/4/23 1:12

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

yup. FSM to the rescue.

From what I have found, check the OEM harness. You want the dark green/white to the radio. It should be at the OEM harness, actually. You won't have to go far. It's the same unchanged signal. I figured that GM would have modified it at the CCM, but apparently, no.

Also, if you want illumination control (dimming), on the same harness as the VSS, get the grey/black wire.
Posted on: 2009/4/23 1:45

Guru
66 Posts

Hey thanks... When you say it's to the radio would it be one of the three plugs I unplugged from the original stereo control unit under the dash?
Posted on: 2009/4/23 3:43

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

yes, it would be one of the original harnesses at the in-dash head unit, not the reciever.
Posted on: 2009/4/23 5:54

Guru
66 Posts

Getting closer... One of the plugs that went into the back of the original head unit has the dark green/white wire in it but on the dimmer it has two gray/black wires.. Are both of these gray/black for the dimmer? Does it mater which I use?
Posted on: 2009/4/23 22:40

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

the manual didn't delineate them. My guess is that it's a serial connection.
Posted on: 2009/4/24 0:38

Guru
66 Posts

Hi,
Making progress although it be very slowly.... I'm about 70% - 80% there. I ran into a problem with the Navigation not working properly and after countless hours over three days narrowed it down to a bad ground. All the wiring is now run and I am just finishing it up securing and tucking it away. I am debating if I will use a capacitor or not to help power the two amps.

Next issue will be what size and how to mount the speakers in place of the stock Bose speakers. I know they will be JL Audio speakers jut not sure which ones yet

Just thought i would update you... Any thoughts on the speaker size or mounting is welcome
Posted on: 2009/5/1 3:08

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Quote:

Ajetsprt wrote:

I am debating if I will use a capacitor or not to help power the two amps.

Add a cap 100%. The charging system of the C4 is underpowered to begin with, and without a cap you will be killing alternators and batteries left and right.

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/5/1 11:41

Guru
66 Posts

Thanks... I took your advice and added the capacitor today. Everything up front is now complete in it's place except what size speakers to use in place of the old ones.

In the back I installed new 6.5" speakers but am running in to some equipment placement issues. Will keep you updated
Posted on: 2009/5/4 2:41

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Look forward to seeing the updates!

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/5/4 11:35

Fluff Re: Complete install in a 1992 C4
Senior Guru
Winchester UK & Alicante ES
247 Posts

Been following this with interest, are there any updates that I've missed?
Posted on: 2009/5/17 13:13

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

Ajetsprt wrote:
Thanks... I took your advice and added the capacitor today. Everything up front is now complete in it's place except what size speakers to use in place of the old ones.

In the back I installed new 6.5" speakers but am running in to some equipment placement issues. Will keep you updated

Are you doing any type of subwoofer?

I would consider 8" subs in the rear speaker enclosures.
Posted on: 2009/5/17 18:24

Guru
66 Posts

Hi,
I am finally in the finishing stages of this very long project. I have been working and reworking on it every night and all day Saturday & Sunday for the past two months. Finally, I have come up with a configuration I am happy with.

Hooking everything up was the easy part, trying to find places for everything to go and making it fit was the challenging part. There is allot of equipment in this set up and not many places to tuck it away.

In The Dash:
After allot of careful cutting on the trim piece I was able to get the face of the head unit to open smoothly with no signs on the trim ring of cutting or grinding. After cutting out the plastic rear support in the dash for the stock head unit the new head unit fit in perfect... Well perfect until I connected the wires! There was a metal support bracket that went from one side of the dash to the other lined up perfectly with the cable for the navagation. After some grinding and profanity filled bending and pulling it eventually came out. I tucked the bypass unit for the DVD and navagation controls up in the dash and after several adjustments of wire placement got the new head unit bolted in. I found the easiest way to run all the wires was to remove the seats.

In The Back:
I wound up building an enclosure in the back which houses the CD changer, navigation unit, navigation guide interface, audio processor (EQ & 5.1 Surround), XM Radio unit, back up camera unit, ipod and lots of wires. I had not planned on installing any of the new interior (full carpet, trim, seats, door panels, etc..) until the winter when I could take my time and do it all at the same time but it made most sense to install the back carpet and panels now so I did. I put the 10" sub in the storage compartment which I lined with two layers of Dynamat sound dampening and polyfil. I cut up the new rear carpet and moved pieces around to try and get the cleanest look I could. I was not thrilled with the idea of cutting up the brand new carpet. I stress measure twice cut once. This leads me to another hint. When using a straight edge make sure you are cutting on the correct side of the straight edge you are using... Luckily my test cut was on the old carpet which came up 2" to short.. 2" just happens to be the width of the straight edge I used, see the connection here? I mounted the two amps to the back wall (1/4" piece of plywood is mounted to the wall behind the carpet). I took the advise you provided and did install the capacitor also (thanks!) Here are some pictures. Thanks for all the help!

Just need to tighten a few things up and I think it's done...

Attach file:

jpg  stereo041A.jpg (168.45 KB)
2020_4a2dd5f8832ba.jpg 850X638 px

jpg  stereo046A.jpg (155.16 KB)
2020_4a2dd69e140f3.jpg 850X638 px
Posted on: 2009/6/9 3:28

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Super clean install - looks great!

Just a suggestion from personal experience. Did you build a frame over the cd changer and cover the entire thing with plywood? If so you might wanna cut a vent hole. I used to have my old cd changer mounted in a box in my old truck and it would get kinda warm, eventually killed it. Just a thought.

Also, I can't tell from pics. Is there enough room to open the dvd player with the sub grill in the way?

Again, looks great!

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/6/10 0:52

Guru
66 Posts

Hey,
Ok so you got me thinking... I just went and tried the door on the unit an it does clear the speaker... On the CD changer I think we will be ok. The enclosure is open in the back and the player has allot of room surrounding it. I will keep an eye on it an monitor the temp. Thanks for the suggestion.

Funny thing happens at 3am. I woke up from a dead sleep to the thought of "Does the top fit in the back now???" Since I could not go back to sleep now I went out and tried it. Fit without a problem... Man that would have stunk but all good!
Posted on: 2009/6/10 2:34

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Very nicely done! Impressive!

How does it sound???
Posted on: 2009/6/10 3:25

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Glad to hear it all operates as intended. Top fitting in is a bonus

Once again, nice work.

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/6/10 13:10

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.