Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
134 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  MAF
Mass Air Flow sensor. Used to measure the amount of air entering the intake. This sensor works by heating an element and then measuring the rate of c...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

mojo92 Fans only run when...
Guru
Tifton,Ga.
58 Posts

Fans only run when I turn on the blower motor (heater). When I got my car the guy that had it wired the fans to the heater. I can see where he cut it so I tried putting it back like it should be but, the fans want come on after setting and running for awhile. Is there a way to rewire the fans so they will work ? I can be at a red light and the temp starts going up. HELP !!!
Posted on: 2009/5/1 1:25
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

vetteoz Re: Fans only run when...
Senior Guru
453 Posts

How high do the temps get without fan running?
The fans are factory programmed to run with the A/c on regardless of engine temp
Posted on: 2009/5/1 1:43

mojo92 Re: Fans only run when...
Guru
Tifton,Ga.
58 Posts

Almost maxed out. The stock wires are still there but the guy I got it from told me that the a/c didn't work so maybe thats why he done that.
Posted on: 2009/5/1 1:50

vetteoz Re: Fans only run when...
Senior Guru
453 Posts

Quote:

mojo92 wrote:
Almost maxed out. The stock wires are still there but the guy I got it from told me that the a/c didn't work so maybe thats why he done that.

What temp is "maxed out"
Posted on: 2009/5/1 3:40

bogus Re: Fans only run when...
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

sounds like you need a new mechanic. This moron is trying to melt your engine.
Posted on: 2009/5/1 13:57

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

dan0617 Re: Fans only run when...
Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

Would not be able to figure out what wire should go where without seeing your car and situation, but if you need to drive the car till you get it figured out, do this:

There is a plug that has 2 wires on it going into the fan motor. 1 is positive, 1 is ground. Splice a wire from a +12V source to the positive one (must be a source that only has juice when the key is on, and ground out the other one. Not sure which is which without being near my car right now (in Richmond for the race), but that shouldn't be too hard to figure out. By doing this your fan will run anytime your key is on. Not a permanent solution but its a 15 minute temporary fix that will keep you from melting down your engine till you get a more permanent fix.
Posted on: 2009/5/1 14:15

BillH Re: Fans only run when...
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

mojo92 wrote:
I can see where he cut it so I tried putting it back like it should be but, the fans want come on after setting and running for awhile. Is there a way to rewire the fans so they will work ? I can be at a red light and the temp starts going up. HELP !!!

Where were the wires that you put back? At the fan motor or at the relays?

Yep, at a red lite, the temps go up. All C4's do.
1992 right? The fans are programed to come on at 226 degrees for the primary fan (drivers side) and 235 for the secondary fan(pass side).

If you have the wires put back to stock, open the hood and let the car idle until the dash gage says around 226, does the primary fan come on? At 235 does the secondary fan come on?

I wouldn't wire the fans into the key. But what you can do is wire a toggle switch into the secondary fan relay. On your 92, the relay is the one that's closer to the firewall.
Both relays are located on the driver's side, attached to the radiator shroud close to the headlite.
The relays turn on the fans when they get a signal from the ECM. The ground wire on the relays is open until it gets this signal.
Look in the harness that goes into the secondary relay for a blue/white wire. This is the ground wire. Do not cut it but, splice a wire into it. Run that wire to one side of a toggle switch and the other side of the toggle switch to a ground. This will let you control the secondary fan at red lights.
On my 92, I don't hit the switch until I see 210. With the secondary fan on, my temps will drop to 192, at a red light, on a hot day. Note: my cooling system is properly flushed including pulling the knock sensors and there's no crap between the radiator and condensor.

I also have a LED in the dash that tells me when the fan is on so I remember to turn it off. If you want to know how to wire that, let me know.
Posted on: 2009/5/1 15:05

CentralCoaster Re: Fans only run when...
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Even if he wired the fans to the heater somehow, he probably did it via the relay.

The relay is the safe method for powering the fan. All it needs is one of the wires into it to see ground, and the relay closes and sends power from the battery to the fan.

A relay is basically an electronic switch. The ground signal wire feeding it can come from the ECM and temperature switches and refrigerant pressure switches, depending on year. Controlling it only by the driver hitting a switch is stupid because you only have to forget once and the car overheats.

You need to get it wired back to the ECM or at least a temperature switch. The ECM also controls it depending on what the A/C is doing. In the meantime, if it worked before with the heater, I would wire it back that way so you can drive it at least until you get the factory wiring diagrams to fix it right.

If I had the factory service manual for your year I could help you with it.
Posted on: 2009/5/1 18:07

anesthes Re: Fans only run when...
Master Guru
Boston, MA
646 Posts

Assuming the car is a '92, it should take about 30 seconds and 2 feet of wire to splice the fan relay into the ECM.

-- Joe
Posted on: 2009/5/1 22:15

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
Controlling it only by the driver hitting a switch is stupid because you only have to forget once and the car overheats.

You need to get it wired back to the ECM or at least a temperature switch. The ECM also controls it depending on what the A/C is doing. In the meantime, if it worked before with the heater, I would wire it back that way so you can drive it at least until you get the factory wiring diagrams to fix it right.

If I had the factory service manual for your year I could help you with it.

Yep, Mojo needs to get back to us as to where the PD (previous dork) did the wiring. If the stock wiring is still there, it should be easy to put back.

I've got the 92 FSM, so does Andy for when we hear from him.
Posted on: 2009/5/1 22:43

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

anesthes wrote:
Assuming the car is a '92, it should take about 30 seconds and 2 feet of wire to splice the fan relay into the ECM.

-- Joe

Yep, from the ECM to the primary relay is Dark green/White
and from the ECM to the secondary relay is Dark Blue/White.
Both those wires are run in the harness that goes directly from the ECM to the 2 relays. It's attached to the drivers side wheel well.
Posted on: 2009/5/1 22:46

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

His UID really get's annoying...

He has a 1991...
Posted on: 2009/5/2 1:30

anesthes Re: Fans only run when...
Master Guru
Boston, MA
646 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
His UID really get's annoying...

He has a 1991...

So F8 (green/white) is Fan 1, and D12 (gray) is fan 2.

-- Joe
Posted on: 2009/5/2 1:48

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

And I am about 2300 miles away from my FSM...
Posted on: 2009/5/2 2:16

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.