Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
166 user(s) are online (128 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  LT1
Engine used from 1992-1996 (in 1996, automatic equipped only)....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Matatk Harmonic Balancer Swap and Setting Timing (Pics)
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22807 Posts

Well, if anyone recalls, when I went to check my timing a couple of weeks ago I couldn't because the harmonic balancer was bad. Well, finally got it swapped out and set the timing. Turns out it was way off like I suspected. Runs great now. Here's a few pics along the way:

Rented HB puller from AZ - you'll need one of these:

Photobucket

Go ahead and remove the air intake tube (I removed the filter housing, too) and then the serpentine belt. Once that's off, you will remove the water pump pulley (four nuts on mine). This is a good time to take off the "frisbee" on the front of the water pump if it hasn't been done before (I did mine 2 yrs ago). Once the pulley is off the water pump you will have a little more room to work. You will also have to loosen the belt tensioner and swing it out of the way.

Top is the WP pulley, bottom is the HB pulley (kind of a step ahead, just a pic to show where everything is):

Photobucket

Next go ahead and remove the pulley off the front of the HB. There are a total of 4 bolts. It's a little difficult to prevent the crank from turning, so I stuck a crowbar behind the HB and held it in place. I wasn't worried about damaging it since I was replacing it.

Removing the pulley:

Photobucket

The offending HB still installed:

Photobucket

Next you have to crawl under the car and loosen the strap that holds the power steering line (10 mm nut). This is so you can slide in the HB puller tool.

Photobucket

You can see in the above pic I had the HB puller partially installed. I put a bunch of washers on the bolts holding it on, this is not necessary. I just did it so it would be less time to thread the main bolt.

Next slide the main (center) bolt through the PS line from the bottom and into the center of the puller. This is the bolt that presses into the crank (has a flared end) and pushes the tool back.

Photobucket

HB removed - old vs new:

Photobucket

You can see the damage to the rubber ring:

Photobucket

Unfortunately, I could not get my hands on a harmonic balancer installer. So I modified the puller and made my own. I went to the hardware store and bought a longer 7/16th (fine) bolt that was 4". I probably could have gotten a 3" and it would have worked, but I wanted to make sure it would grab enough thread.

Photobucket

Install the puller on the new HB (lightly coat the inside of the HB with oil) and push it onto the crank. Then thread the new bolt with a series of washers on it into the crank and turn it.

Photobucket

You'll notice the HB slowly being pulled into place. This is good. It'll be in place when the HB centerline (imaginary) is lined up with the "v" for the 0 on the timing tab.

Photobucket

I do not recommend using the bubba method of a 2x4 or hitting it with a hammer, etc.

Once the HB is on, you can replace the pulley and retorque the bolts. I believe the center is 70 ft lbs and the outer bolts are 32 ft lbs.

Photobucket

Reinstall the WP pulley, tensioner, serpentine belt, and air intake. Make sure the pulleys and belt line up properly.

Now that the HB is installed, you can set the timing. You will need a timing light:

Photobucket

Remove the distributor cover from the plenum, it'll make it easier to turn the distributor if necessary.

Photobucket

Find the EST wire next to the brake booster and disconnect it.

Photobucket

It's a little hard to see, but this is the timing mark on the front of the engine. Clean it off to be able to read it better.

Photobucket

Hook up the timing light to the battery and clamp the pickup to the number one spark plug wire.

For a 1989 automatic, the correct timing is 6 degrees before top dead center. First block the wheels. Then start the car and set the parking brake. Then put the car in drive. Car may have a little trouble idling, but you can blip the tb to keep it going. Aim the timing gun at the timing mark and see where the timing mark (slot) on the harmonic balancer shows up. If it is off, you will have to adjust the distributor by hand. I first checked my timing, found it was off, then shut off the car. I loosened the distributor clamp down bolt (with special bent distributor wrench) and restarted the car. I then turned the distributor and checked the timing. I shut down the car, tightened the distributor, and then double checked everything once more. Don't forget to reconnect the EST wire when done.

Overall, my timing had been set at zero. Yup. "0". I reset it to 6* BTDC. After that I disconnected the battery and turned on the headlight switch to reset the computer. Not sure if this is necessary, but I thought it was a good idea. I then restarted the car and let it idle until it reached operating temps.

Then came the test drive and I'm very happy with the results.

Hopefully this helps anyone who has to do this repair or maintenance.

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/5/15 13:02

Epimax Re: Harmonic Balancer Swap and Setting Timing (Pics)
Elite Guru
Wilmington, NC
1814 Posts

Thanks for yet another excellent tech tip!
Posted on: 2009/5/15 15:12
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

pappyfreebird Re: Harmonic Balancer Swap and Setting Timing (Pics)
Senior Guru
1028 Posts

any chance such great werk pix n teachins kin be added ta the library?,,sure hopin in nevar hafta use em,,but still..thanks mattmayun fer takin extree time ta do that
Posted on: 2009/5/15 17:20

Matatk Re: Harmonic Balancer Swap and Setting Timing (Pics)
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22807 Posts

Yeah, Pappy, I'll have to write something up and put it in the library.

Thanks for the comments.

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/5/16 11:30

Durango_Boy Re: Harmonic Balancer Swap and Setting Timing (Pics)
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

You did great work Matt for your first balancer install. One question, did you install the balancer until it was hard over on the crank shoulder or did you simply stop when it lined up?

The reason I ask is because the balancer goes on all the way until it stops at the crank shoulder. You might have hit it and lined it up simultaneously but when installing them make sure they are all the way on.

Again, great work and fantastic documentation.
Posted on: 2009/5/16 14:10

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22807 Posts

I turned the bolt until the crank spun with it, so I'm pretty sure it was on all the way. That, in addition to the lining up with the timing mark and the pulleys being lined up properly indicated to me it was on all the way.

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/5/16 15:25

86PACER Re: Harmonic Balancer Swap and Setting Timing (Pics)
Guru Newb
41 Posts

Wanted to add some info here.

For reference, the installer is Part# 27144

I rented it from Atuzone along with the puller.
Your local store didn't have it?

I think Advanced also has the same tool rental program.
Posted on: 2009/11/26 11:45

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22807 Posts

Quote:

86PACER wrote:
Wanted to add some info here.

For reference, the installer is Part# 27144

I rented it from Atuzone along with the puller.
Your local store didn't have it?

I think Advanced also has the same tool rental program.

I don't think the store I went to had it. Thanks for the part # !

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/11/26 14:32

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.