Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
230 user(s) are online (144 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  DIC
Driver Information Center.

This is the display readout panel on the dash. It’s above the radio for 1984-1989; above the climate controls, 1990-...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

pianoguy Handy household hint of the day
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Written by Zola Gorgon - author of several cookbooks..
Watch out for those spoiled onions...

I had the wonderful privilege of touring Mullins Food Products, makers of mayonnaise. Mullins is huge, and is owned by 11 brothers and sisters in the Mullins family.
Questions about food poisoning came up, and I wanted to share what I learned from a chemist.

The guy who gave us our tour is named Ed. He's one of the brothers. Ed is a chemistry expert and is involved in developing most of the sauce formula. He's even developed sauce formula for McDonald's.

Keep in mind that Ed is a food chemistry whiz. During the tour, someone asked if we really needed to worry about mayonnaise. People are always worried that mayonnaise will spoil. Ed's answer will surprise you.

Ed said that all commercially-made Mayo is completely safe.

"It doesn't even have to be refrigerated. No harm in refrigerating it, but it's not really necessary." He explained that the pH in mayonnaise is set at a point that bacterium could not survive in that environment. He then talked about the quint essential picnic, with the bowl of potato salad sitting on the table and how everyone blames the mayonnaise when someone gets sick.

Ed says that when food poisoning is reported, the first thing the officials look for is when the 'victim' last ate ONIONS and where those onions came from (in the potato salad?). Ed says it's not the mayonnaise (as long as it's not homemade Mayo) that spoils in the outdoors.

It's probably the onions, and if not the onions, it's the POTATOES. He explained, onions are a huge magnet for bacteria, especially uncooked onions.

You should never plan to keep a portion of a sliced onion. He says it's not even safe if you put it in a zip-lock bag and put it in your refrigerator. It's already contaminated enough just by being cut open and out for a bit, that it can be a danger to you (and doubly watch out for those onions you put in your hot dogs at the baseball park!)

Ed says if you take the leftover onion and cook it like crazy you'll probably be okay, but if you slice that leftover onion and put on your sandwich, you're asking for trouble. Both the onions and the moist potato in a potato salad, will attract and grow bacteria faster than any commercial mayonnaise will even begin to break down.

So, how's that for news? Take it for what you will. I (the author) am going to be very careful about my onions from now on. For some reason, I see a lot of credibility coming from a chemist and a company, that produces millions of pounds of mayonnaise every year.'

Also, dogs should never eat onions. Their stomachs cannot metabolize onions.
Posted on: 2009/6/28 20:38

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: Handy household hint of the day
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

hm... can't say I have ever had a problem.
Posted on: 2009/6/28 21:02

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Matatk Re: Handy household hint of the day
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22806 Posts

Wow I've never heard that before! And I eat a lot of onions. I usually do just what the article says - slice them and put them in a ziplock bag in the fridge. Guess I'll have to reconsider that.

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/6/28 22:33

TommyT-Bone Re: Handy household hint of the day
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33768 Posts

There you go. Natural food is bad for you. Eat processed for a better ph.
Posted on: 2009/6/28 23:33

biggrizzly Re: Handy household hint of the day
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

Good information for B-B-Q season.
I would bet that onion sitting on my counter for two weeks might be a candidate for the hopper!
Posted on: 2009/6/28 23:43

vetteblondie Re: Handy household hint of the day
Master Guru
Jonesboro, AR
4659 Posts

I don't like onions anyway so I guess I'm safe. Makes for bad breath which leads to a decrease in smooches which leads to a decrease in.... well nevermind you see where this is headed...
Posted on: 2009/6/29 3:37

Yes, I'm a bitch... just not YOURS.

Resized Image

Matatk Re: Handy household hint of the day
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22806 Posts

Quote:

vetteblondie wrote:
Makes for bad breath which leads to a decrease in smooches which leads to a decrease in....

Illegitimate children? I say EAT ONIONS!

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/6/29 11:58

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.