Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
274 user(s) are online (225 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  ABS
Antilock Braking System.

Standard on all C4s starting in 1986....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Moe_Vette Fire Fire !!!!
Guru Newb
33 Posts

Dear all

Got back to Toronto last week and luvin drivin my 89 ...... but ....

Drove home from a mates on Friday night - only about 2 miles away from home. Started the car and within a couple of blocks saw some smoke (which I assumes was steam from the RAD or something)

By the time I got home I popped the hood to see where the leak is - NO LEAK - but the part of the engine (I included an image and circled the part) was smoking/burning. Seemed the belt was smoking - the unit I highlighted was red hot - poured a little bit of water over the belt (so as to ensure no fire broke out) and the water evaporated immediately - this part of the engine was pretty much RED HOT

I have not touched the car since (Monday here today and everything is closed in Canada as it is a long weekend here) I will get her to the shop tomorrow

The shop is only a couple of miles away and can probably drive there - would you guys suggest I not do this - but rather have her towed to the shop (I do not want to make anything worse)

any thoughts on what I may be dealing with here would be greatly appreciated

Attach file:

jpg  l98.jpg (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2009/8/3 17:04
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

BrianCunningham Re: Fire Fire !!!!
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

AC clutch?
Posted on: 2009/8/3 17:26

pianoguy Re: Fire Fire !!!!
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

I'm guessing the air conditioner clutch froze up? If you drive it, the belt will likely get fried. Maybe someone knows a trick for getting it to free-wheel?
Posted on: 2009/8/3 17:27

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

CentralCoaster Re: Fire Fire !!!!
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

In the meantime, I believe it's possible to install a shorter belt which bypasses both the a/c compressor and the smog pump.

This would at least let you drive the car until you can get the compressor or clutch repaired, neither are essential.
Posted on: 2009/8/3 17:30

1Fast04Vert Re: Fire Fire !!!!
Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

That sure looks like the AC clutch was burning, which means the compressor is probably seized. If it was an LT1 with the gear driven water pump you could take the belt off and drive it a short distance (no power steering nor alternator charging though). Did you have the AC on when it burnt? Will the clutch freewheel if the AC is off?
Posted on: 2009/8/3 17:57

Moe_Vette Re: Fire Fire !!!!
Guru Newb
33 Posts

Thanks guys

OK I will call around tomorrow and track an AC clutch/compressor. Do any of you have a guess on what a repair like this should cost. There is a Vette shop 3 miles away - do you think I can drive the car there without doing any further damage or should I get her towed there?

Re the question "was the AC on" .... yes - I will turn it off before I do anything else

Many thanx all
Posted on: 2009/8/4 2:55

rogerwillson Re: Fire Fire !!!!
Guru Newb
8 Posts

Can you describe your problem. I am not getting what you want.
Posted on: 2009/8/4 11:21

Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

With the AC off if the clutch spins freely then you are OK to drive it. If there is any binding or wobbling at all in the clutch then do NOT drive it, because if it comes apart it can really do some serious damage to other components.
If the compressor is indeed seized then it has possibly put some metal into the system. Be sure the shop does a proper flush, including removing and cleaning the orifice tube and replacing the rec/drier (accumalator). Unfortunately it will not be a cheap repair.
Posted on: 2009/8/4 12:19

jdtireman Re: Fire Fire !!!!
Senior Guru
Winnipeg
176 Posts

I owuld guess that finding a smaller belt to bypass the A/C pump will be pretty tough so driving it before it gets fixed is not likely. If you do have it towed, make sure they send a flat deck and not a regular wrecker. CAA seems to think that a regular wrecker can do the job. The last time I needed this service I had to wait for the first driver to show and then call dispatch for a deck.

Good Luck. At least it's not too hot in T.O. this summer :-(
Posted on: 2009/8/4 12:54

dan0617 Re: Fire Fire !!!!
Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

I'd shop for a used A/C compressor, the whole unit. Then either put it on yourself or have someone do it. You should take it to a shop for the install because you will be releasing freon or whatever is in your a/c system into the atmosphere. If it were already empty I'd tell you to put it on yourself, then go to Walmart and get the stuff to recharge it yourself. That's what I did and my A/C is ice cold for about $35.00 worth of recharge stuff from Walmart.
Posted on: 2009/8/5 12:08

Guru Newb
33 Posts

Thanks dan0617

I know of a place here in Toronto (just spoke to them) they have the used part - couple of quick questions

- What did you pay for your used AC compressor
- any idea what the whole unit is new
- Do you know "of the L98 engine years" (are there any to avoid) my Vette in an 1989

thanks all

PS - with the air turned off the AC compresor does not sieze the belt - so car is a least drivable (as confirmed by local vette shop but they are too busy to fix it for a couple of weeks) another shop looked at it and said only the bearing is shot (doubt that) so the thought of a (hopefully) fully functional used part installed properly may be the most cost effective (even if it only last a couple of years). Spent way too much this year already restoring the 1992 in the UK !!!
Posted on: 2009/8/5 13:54

Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

Quote:

Moe_Vette wrote:
Thanks dan0617

I know of a place here in Toronto (just spoke to them) they have the used part - couple of quick questions

- What did you pay for your used AC compressor
- any idea what the whole unit is new
- Do you know "of the L98 engine years" (are there any to avoid) my Vette in an 1989

thanks all

PS - with the air turned off the AC compresor does not sieze the belt - so car is a least drivable (as confirmed by local vette shop but they are too busy to fix it for a couple of weeks) another shop looked at it and said only the bearing is shot (doubt that) so the thought of a (hopefully) fully functional used part installed properly may be the most cost effective (even if it only last a couple of years). Spent way too much this year already restoring the 1992 in the UK !!!

If they are right and the bearing is shot then do NOT drive it. It will come apart and cause further damage as when the belt slings off and clutch parts fly thru your hood. Usually the heat and smoke is from the compressor shaft seizing, which in turn burns out the front seal of the compressor and the discs in the clutch, sometimes destroying the bearings as well. Without actually seeing it that is about the best I can do as far as advice goes.
Posted on: 2009/8/5 14:06

Guru Newb
33 Posts

Dear 95 Vette

thanks for your time - The guy whom said the bearing was shot was not a vette guy (but an AC guy) my vette shop had a look at it for 30 mins yesterday and diagnosed it as being OK to drive (but they can not fix for 2 weeks). I hear what you are saying though - thanks
Posted on: 2009/8/5 14:37

Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

Quote:

Moe_Vette wrote:
Dear 95 Vette

thanks for your time - The guy whom said the bearing was shot was not a vette guy (but an AC guy) my vette shop had a look at it for 30 mins yesterday and diagnosed it as being OK to drive (but they can not fix for 2 weeks). I hear what you are saying though - thanks

Ok, good luck with it. If they can not source out used parts there let me know. A neighbor here parts out C4s for a living and might have whatever you need.
Andy
Posted on: 2009/8/5 14:57

Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

I'm sorry, I didn't mean that I replaced my AC compressor. I should have stated that better. When I bought my 'vette the AC didn't blow cold. I went to Walmart and bought an A/C recharge kit and a couple extra cans. I read the directions, recharged it, and it blows ice cold, and I didn't even need the extra cans.

I have had my a/c compressor on and off a couple times, it isn't bad to take off if you wanted to do it yourself.

I know the earlier years L98 engines have a different compressor than ours (mine is an '89 also). I don't think they are interchangeable but I'm not sure. You could call a local auto parts store, price out a new one, and ask them what all years of 'vettes it is listed for. Then you would know what years to shop for used.
Posted on: 2009/8/5 15:23

Guru Newb
33 Posts

Thanks all (and 95Vette)

Yes - it seems (via Ecklers site) that the 88-96's Compressor's and clutches are the same - so I would take this to believe a unit off these cars would fit my 89 (L98).

Seems $1000 will set you up with Ecklers (clutch and Compressor sold seperately)

95vette - yes please I would be interested to have the contact details of your pal whom sources out C4 parts - could save me a packet !!

Going out now to a new vette shop (hopefully for a full diagnosis and quote) as well as to the used vette parts place to price out a used unit (might have them fit it too).

There's an annual vette show up here at Wasaga Beach on the weekend after the next (largest fresh water beach in the world - beak out the copper-tone and beers !!!) and wanna have her back on track and blowin cold for then

thanks all
Posted on: 2009/8/5 16:22

Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

Quote:

Moe_Vette wrote:
Thanks all (and 95Vette)

Yes - it seems (via Ecklers site) that the 88-96's Compressor's and clutches are the same - so I would take this to believe a unit off these cars would fit my 89 (L98).

Seems $1000 will set you up with Ecklers (clutch and Compressor sold seperately)

95vette - yes please I would be interested to have the contact details of your pal whom sources out C4 parts - could save me a packet !!

His name is Chris and phone is 770-546-3504. He also sells alot on ebay as 333vette. He is located in Acworth, GA, just a bit north of Atlanta and does ship worldwide. Be sure you have your shop replace the reciever/drier as well.
Hope Chris can help you out.
Posted on: 2009/8/5 16:29

Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

DO NOT buy new from Ecklers unless you have money to waste.

If you are going to be driving a C4 very much, you might want to start doing alot of this work yourself, unless you have money to waste.

There are lots of people on here who will gladly help you through the repair process and save you a bundle.
Posted on: 2009/8/6 12:17

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.