Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
294 user(s) are online (182 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  National Corvette Museum
The mission of the National Corvette Museum is to celebrate the Corvette's invention, and preserve the legendary automobile's past, present, and futu...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
« 1 (2)
 Register To Post

BillH Re: DRM Trailing arm bracket install Banski Trailing arm install
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

astock165 wrote:
Quote:

BillH wrote:
This is why we use aircraft (AN) bolts on any stressed application on the racecars. Their lengths and washers ae designed to eliminate any shear on the threads.

Unfortunately from the fastener vendors we looked at it was going to add some cost as well. I was really shooting to keep this as affordable as possible.

Since the Grade 8 hardware was so comparable to the stock class 10.9, and they both had threads in shear, I was confident in the substitution.

Well Tom, I've always thought the AN bolts were fairly reasonable, at least where I get them from, not that much different from a Gr8 at HomeD. But I've never done an exact comparison.

In the open wheel crowd, no one will use a Gr8. I've seen cars for sale that the seller stated all the bolts were changed to Gr8 and no one would buy the car without a price reduction so they could change out all the bolts.
They are generally smaller bolts though.
I've also seen Gr8s on suspensions fail when I've done the post crash inspections.

Corvettes are kinda "over bolted" size wise anyway, so there shouldn't be a problem with 8s.
Posted on: 2009/9/22 22:35

astock165 Re: DRM Trailing arm bracket install Banski Trailing arm install
Registered Vendor
Manchester NH
199 Posts

Quote:

BrianCunningham wrote:
holes measured 16.4mm The factory is not that precise, it's for a rubber bushing.

That 0.4mm (.0157 in) extra clearance would account for much more slop than the 0.125 mm (.005 in) difference between a 16 mm and 5/8 in bolt. I'm unclear as to why the original design being a bushing would matter? Bushings and rod ends both use the bolt as an anchor point. If the hole is 16.4mm diameter, any bolt that is 16 mm or 5/8 in is going to rattle around in that hole causing slop.

Quote:

BrianCunningham wrote:
One of the issues with the threads in shear if that they act like a knife (or saw) on the brackets.

The only way they'll act like a saw is if the nut is not properly torqued and the bolt is allowed to move back and forth axially.[/quote]

Quote:
BrianCunningham wrote:
All you need to do it get a bolt with a 1/2in longer shank and the problems avoided.

That's not entirely true. Let's take the example of the camber rod bolts in the knuckle. I supply a bolt that is 5/8 in diameter x 4" long. If you look up a McMaster Carr Grade 8 bolt that is zinc plated in that size (pretty typical application) you'll find p/n 91257A810, the drawing of which is shown here: [IMG]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a196/turban65/91257A810L.gif[/IMG] As you'll see the thread length can vary up to a 1/2" in length. If the flange thickness of the knuckle is 0.5" per side and the width of the spacers and rod end is 1.7 in (the approximate length of the liners used in stock bushings and most urethane replacement bushings) that requires a minimum unthreaded length of 2.7". Now add in the thickness of two 5/8 wahsers. If we use McMaster 90126A035 (a 5/8" washer whose thickness can range from 0.074" to 0.121", [B]and that's a thin washer[/B]) the required unthreaded length is approximately 2.942 in. To satisfy that condition you would have to use a 5/8 bolt that is 5" in length (we'll use McMaster 91257A814 as an example), which is shown below. [IMG]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a196/turban65/91257A814L.gif[/IMG] You can see that you'd have to use a bolt that is at least 1" longer than the 4" bolt I supply. Now let's take another look at the 4" bolt condition. From what I've seen on the components I supply the threaded length is typically 1" to 1-1/4" long. Some are 1-3/8" but I haven't seen one yet that was the full 1-1/2" thread length. If we use use an average threaded length of 1-1/4", that makes the unthreaded shoulder 2-3/4" long. Subtract from that the 1.7" width of the spacers and rod ends, the two 1/2" flange thicknesses and one of the 5/8" washer thicknesses and you are left with 0.071". This should mean that at an 11 pitch thread, there is less than one thread pitch in shear. [IMG]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a196/turban65/untitled.jpg[/IMG] Now admittedly I'm making an assumption that the flange thicknesses on the knuckle are 1/2" at the camber rod. Since my car is currently in storage I don't have access to it to measure it. However, if the flange thicknesses are greater than 1/2" you could end up with no threads in shear. I'd be interested to hear from the C4 guys what their knuckle flange thicknesses measure at the camber rod? If you wish to measure that and post them back here we could figure out if there are any threads in shear, even @ worst case.
Posted on: 2009/9/23 17:37
www.banskimotorsports.com
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Registered Vendor
Manchester NH
199 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Well Tom, I've always thought the AN bolts were fairly reasonable, at least where I get them from, not that much different from a Gr8 at HomeD. But I've never done an exact comparison.

In the open wheel crowd, no one will use a Gr8. I've seen cars for sale that the seller stated all the bolts were changed to Gr8 and no one would buy the car without a price reduction so they could change out all the bolts.
They are generally smaller bolts though.
I've also seen Gr8s on suspensions fail when I've done the post crash inspections.

Corvettes are kinda "over bolted" size wise anyway, so there shouldn't be a problem with 8s.

I'm confident they will be given the analysis I've shown in previous posts.
Posted on: 2009/9/23 17:46

BrianCunningham Re: DRM Trailing arm bracket install Banski Trailing arm install
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

Tom,
I've already changed out the bolts the way I want them.

Do what you want on your car, I'm not doing it that way.

If I can spend an extra $100 and be happy and not worry about it, that's what I'm going to do
Posted on: 2009/9/23 17:48

Registered Vendor
Manchester NH
199 Posts

Quote:

BrianCunningham wrote:
I've already changed out the bolts the way I want them.

Do what you want on your car, I'm not doing it that way.

If I can spend an extra $100 and be happy and not worry about it, that's what I'm going to do

It's not that simple Brian. You questioned why I had used SAE bolts in a metric hole and why I had threads in shear in an email. You then also posted those same comments on a public forum before I had a chance to respond to you privately.
Quote:

BrianCunningham wrote:
But, the SAE 5/8ths fastners in METRIC holes is just too sloppy for me ... I really don't want threads in shear

Given that I have to show that there is a valid reason for the kit being the way it is and that I've done an analysis of the structural componenets.

I have picked up a lot of business from some great corvette guru members lately and I need to assure them that the kit I sell will not in any way compromise their saftety or competitiveness. You've brought up valid questions and I need to show that I have valid answers. The only way to do that is by the discussion points I posted earlier.

It's hard to argue with "that's the way I want it..." but my other customers need to know that I didn't put this product together willy nilly.
Posted on: 2009/9/23 18:05

BrianCunningham Re: DRM Trailing arm bracket install Banski Trailing arm install
Senior Guru
7763 Posts

Fine you've answered why you did it your way.

I'm saying I'm NOT doing that on MY car.

I'm NOT putting threads in shear on my car, period.

I'm not satisflied with the way the bolts fit in my car, so I'm drilling them out and putting liners in.
Posted on: 2009/9/23 18:06

SpectatorRacing Re: DRM Trailing arm bracket install Banski Trailing arm install
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Quote:

astock165 wrote:

It's hard to argue with "that's the way I want it..." but my other customers need to know that I didn't put this product together willy nilly.

FWIW Tom, if I hadn't already installed the VBP kit before you brought yours out I'd be running the Banski kit right now.

My VBP kit is not as robust as the latest kit you're offering and it's held up to 4 years of real racing, not bench racing.

Bolts in shear and all :thumbright:
Posted on: 2009/9/24 19:27

Registered Vendor
Manchester NH
199 Posts

Quote:

SpectatorRacing wrote:
FWIW Tom, if I hadn't already installed the VBP kit before you brought yours out I'd be running the Banski kit right now.

My VBP kit is not as robust as the latest kit you're offering and it's held up to 4 years of real racing, not bench racing.

Bolts in shear and all :thumbright:

Just out of curiosity, what did VPB supply for spacers? Or more generally: how did they account for the difference in width between the dogbone and a rod end?

It's unclear what is supplied from the website and I'm curious what they do.
Posted on: 2009/9/25 4:30

SpectatorRacing Re: DRM Trailing arm bracket install Banski Trailing arm install
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Quote:

astock165 wrote:
Just out of curiosity, what did VPB supply for spacers? Or more generally: how did they account for the difference in width between the dogbone and a rod end?

It's unclear what is supplied from the website and I'm curious what they do.

There are inserts in the rod ends. But I don't remember there being a difference in width.

I can take photos if you are interested.
Posted on: 2009/9/25 13:50

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

Here's the setup

bolt so the threads are sitting on the flange

Notice the the flange is so thin that the engagement does not go all the way around the hole in the flange
Photobucket

Bolt sitting so it's up on the shoulder, not there's a full 360degree engagement.
Photobucket
Posted on: 2009/9/25 16:18

Registered Vendor
Manchester NH
199 Posts

Quote:

SpectatorRacing wrote:
There are inserts in the rod ends. But I don't remember there being a difference in width.

I can take photos if you are interested.

Thanks but no need, the fact that there are inserts answers my question.
Posted on: 2009/9/29 0:40

« 1 (2)
You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.