Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
306 user(s) are online (258 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  NCM
The mission of the National Corvette Museum is to celebrate the Corvette's invention, and preserve the legendary automobile's past, present, and futu...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

wesmigletz My new DD
Senior Guru
Land of Fruits and Nuts
325 Posts

I've been without a dedicated DD for a while now, because I sold my 72 Chevy truck when I re-enlisted in July. I had to sell the truck, because my wife can't drive stick, and I was unable to bring my truck with me. Anyway, I got a little free time, and checked-out the L.A. craigslist. I was looking for something, old, relatively cheap, could take a V8 and that I wouldn't lose my azz on it if I decided to put some money into it.

I found this 67 Nova and it looked clean. So, I called the owner and talked with him for a while. My friend checked the car out for me and said it was good to go. So, I called the wife, and she went and picked it up for me. Barring the unexpected, I'll get to start driving it around the end of October.

Resized Image

This is my 6th Nova. I've previously had a 62 Nova 400 convertible, a 63 Nova SS convertible, (2) 72 Novas, and a 73 Nova. I got some ideas kicking around about what I would like to do with it, but for now, just plan to do what is necessary to keep it on the road.
Posted on: 2009/9/13 18:33
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Durango_Boy Re: My new DD
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

Is it weird that I like the '75 style Novas?

That's a super cool car man and I can't wait to see it's progress.
Posted on: 2009/9/13 18:36

wesmigletz Re: My new DD
Senior Guru
Land of Fruits and Nuts
325 Posts

Quote:

Durango_Boy wrote:
Is it weird that I like the '75 style Novas?

That's a super cool car man and I can't wait to see it's progress.

Nothing wrong with the "disco" Novas. They take all the suspension and brake goodies that are available for the 2 nd gen Camaros. The one problem I have with them is that in the People's Republik of Kalifornia, they need to be smogged. Accordingly, mid 70s- mid 80s V8 sedans (of any make) are few and far between in CA.

As far as mods, short term, I have a 4L60e in the garage I would like to get installed; I'd my wife to take the car and the trans to the shop that built our 62's 700R4 and have them install the trans before I get home. At that point, the Nova would be ready for a V8 swap, and time and money permitting, I could install a R&P suspension. Eventually, I would like to swap a LSx engine into it, find some OE buckect seats and a SS center console for it, but not necessarily in that order.
Posted on: 2009/9/13 18:46

Durango_Boy Re: My new DD
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

Quote:
As far as mods, short term, I have a 4L60e in the garage I would like to get installed; I'd my wife to take the car and the trans to the shop that built our 62's 700R4 and have them install the trans before I get home. At that point, the Nova would be ready for a V8 swap, and time and money permitting, I could install a R&P suspension. Eventually, I would like to swap a LSx engine into it, find some OE buckect seats and a SS center console for it, but not necessarily in that order.

Sounds like some fun ideas.

Given me finding a '75 style Nova to get and play with I was looking along the same lines.

I was thinking a Vortec 383 or maybe a 6.2L LS in front of an OD transmission. Probably stick with auto since Sarah might actually drive that car sometimes.

Please post more pics of this new car when you get the chance.
Posted on: 2009/9/13 19:06

Senior Guru
Land of Fruits and Nuts
325 Posts

This is the only other pic I have for now.

Resized Image

I have the original 283 from my 59 Vette, that was bored to 4.00" and given a 3.75" crank, a mild Isky HR cam, and a set of Dart Pro 1 Platinum heads, but I told my wife I'd leave the straight 6 in it for now. I can't help but think I'd be better off selling all of my old 23* engines, and start converting my cars, one at a time, to a LSx engine.
Posted on: 2009/9/13 19:15

pianoguy Re: My new DD
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Looks great, Wes! Whose Marlin is that? Don't see too many of them around.
Posted on: 2009/9/13 19:24

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Senior Guru
Land of Fruits and Nuts
325 Posts

Quote:

pianoguy wrote:
Looks great, Wes! Whose Marlin is that? Don't see too many of them around.

The Marlin belongs to my friend Dieter, the guy who checked the Nova out for me. He's actually trying to sell it now. If you're interested in the car, I can PM you his info. I haven't seen the car in a while, but the last time I did, it was pretty clean.
Posted on: 2009/9/13 19:29

TommyT-Bone Re: My new DD
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

I'm a big fan of the 67. I find myself looking every once and awhile. Found out that my wife would be game for one too. The blue is by far my favorite color choice. Good luck. I'm sure you'll do wonders with it.

Wes. I moved this to Other Vehicles ....
Posted on: 2009/9/13 19:44

DreamRide Re: My new DD
Senior Guru
Springfield, TN
226 Posts

Very cool. You really don't see many of the old boxes around anymore. Every one I was familiar with always ended up being gutted for the strip.
Posted on: 2009/9/13 22:06

Senior Guru
Land of Fruits and Nuts
325 Posts

Tommy, I always liked the 62 to 67 Novas, and have been looking for a while. With minor upgrades, they make great drivers.

It's also nice to have something with a roof, because once I start playing with it, I won't be geting kicked off the track until I hit mid 11s. As far as the color goes, I can't tell if it is more of a turquoise or a blue. I'm leaning toward a Marina blue if I ever get around to a repaint.

I'm also looking for a stock steering wheel for it, to replace the aftermarket one. Funny thing is, I put a very nice 66 Nova wheel on my 59 Vette when I sold it, because my son wanted to keep the bent steering wheel.
Posted on: 2009/9/13 22:09

crash Re: My new DD
Guru
WRIGHT CITY MO 63390
977 Posts

wes why dont you build a lt1 350 for it. put a 400 turbo and a 12 bolt with 4:10s in it. that would be a good street combo. i my self would put a 4 sd in it. a friend of mine mustered out at fort riley ks in 66 and came home with a new ss nova. it was marina blue/black buckets. he only had the small 327 ci in it but it ran like a bear.
Posted on: 2009/9/13 22:22

BrianCunningham Re: My new DD
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

I really like those old Novas
Posted on: 2009/9/14 13:06

bogus Re: My new DD
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Sweet looking ride!
Posted on: 2009/9/14 13:18

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

CSS996 Re: My new DD
Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

Congrats on the acquisition Wes! Those are neat. Not too big, not too small. I'd love to have one.
Posted on: 2009/9/14 15:33

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.