Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
319 user(s) are online (278 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  CFI
Cross Fire Injection. Method of fuel delivery in the L82 motor. The 1984 is the only C4 to use the L82. This is the same engine used in the 1982 C3. ...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Ultraman What if I....
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14738 Posts

What if I want to stay with my original Bose unit in my 90? Can I buy new speakers or do I have to send them in and get them repaired. Does Bose have upgraded replacements? I like to keep things as they were, no big changes. I have a lower driver side speaker making bad noises. The rest seem ok at this time. Thanks for the help Ultraman
Posted on: 2009/9/21 20:29
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Woodstock Re: What if I....
Senior Guru
Bremen/Germany
369 Posts

The one AMP making noise you should disconnect right away! No need for expensive replacements. The work is a little time consuming, but if you are good with a soldering iron or know someone to do the job, it's basically just replacing all the capacitors. Once it starts it's just a matter of a couple of month until the others follow.
It's not "IF" it's rather "when" they start to fail.

The CDM usually is due within a couple of years after the amps fail and the head-unit will follow thereafter.

If you have it done by someone, don't waste the money on the Bose system. You end up paying a lot more than a new set up with better and more modern technology.

If I recall correctly, the 90s even have another problem with the CD unit. The rebuilders don't service that unit and I believe it's replacement only, which is expensive of course.
Posted on: 2009/9/21 20:59

Vetron87 Re: What if I....
Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

I had 2 Bose speakers take dump a few years back, soldering iron, flux and capacitors and your back in the tunes. Corvette Central has Pioneer unit CD for $299.00 and a Bose harness that will let you convert higher grade techno speakers. My Bose are working fine could do without the cassette player.
Posted on: 2009/9/21 23:09

Matatk Re: What if I....
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

It's not too difficult to repair the speakers yourself if it's just the caps that are bad.

http://www.batee.com/corvette/boserepair/index.shtml

You can also consider an entire upgrade. Look through the audio section and see some of the projects including mine. My car is an 89 so the interior is different, but same general idea.

Good luck,

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/9/21 23:19

pianoguy Re: What if I....
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

If you're looking for a repair service, a lot of folks seem to be happy with Dr. Don's:

http://www.doctordons.com/
Posted on: 2009/9/22 0:31

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

bogus Re: What if I....
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I will interject a lot of thoughts later. Gotta run.
Posted on: 2009/9/22 0:41

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

If you have $$$ check out total upgrade...I did a sound system in my 55 Chevy for just under $800.00. Pioneer with CD/MP3,am/fm-45watts rms, 6 pioneer speakers/kicker amp. Problem you may have with your orginal Bose unit is when the main base unit takes a dump.. Corvette Central will rebuild for 349.00 and you still have average system.
Posted on: 2009/9/22 1:15

Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

Woodstock is correct the 90-94 seem to have difficultly with CD unit performance in the form of not reading binary code of the disk/laser is lazy and will not track ahead..Just a thought!!! I guess you have to ask yourself would I rather listen to whatever or your engine!!!Above 60 I can't hear sound system anyway...which reminds me my 55 I can't hear anything at idle..572 big block and magnaflows are not compatiable with sound system. Ron
Posted on: 2009/9/22 1:29

Ultraman Re: What if I....
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14738 Posts

CD unit was upgraded or fixed by a previous owner, it works good for now. I will try to fix the speaker myself, I already aimed the headlights myself so I'm on a roll. Ultra
Posted on: 2009/9/22 2:04

bogus Re: What if I....
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

The speaker, depending on the problem, could be as easy as a blown cap. If that's it, replace. There are a number of tech threads on how to do just that.

As for the amps themselves... you see, this gets into a nasty little reality. The C4 amps were tuned specifically for the C4. Replace the amp, loose the tuning! They sound ok, and are at times more powerful, but they end up sucking.

As an aside, the Bose system is very proprietary. It has a 1 ohm stable amp. This is why the amp can be so small... and put out 50 watts. That's only 12.5 watts at 4 ohms.

Personally, I think the early C4 Bose system was better. It had a higher sound stage and just generally had better detail... it just lacked the CD.

The later system has more base, but lacks definition.

My system is an Alpine 7998, Sirius, Aux in's, Canton RS3s, JL Audio 10w3v2, JL Audio 500/5 amp. This does sound pretty good, all in all. I want a better amp, tho.
Posted on: 2009/9/22 2:41

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.