Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
338 user(s) are online (275 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  L98 Intake Bolt Sizes
This is data compiled by CentralCoaster. It lists all the bolt sizes for a stock L98 intake manifold and some of the attachments.

These are commo...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

TommyT-Bone Our first time at the drag strip. Be gentle .....
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

My wife and I took the 90 and 91 Corvettes out to Homestead Miami Speedway for a new series of test and tune 1/8 mile racing that started there. They have been doing it for a couple of months now but we finally put it all together and gave it a go. Admission is $10 for spectators and $20 for racers. There is a car show in the parking lot for those who wish to participate. I need to buy a new camera. Sorry, no pics. She drove the 91 automatic vert. 383 ci. with a procharger supercharger. I drove the stock 90, 6 speed, L98.
The races were starting with a starter girl dropping her arms and just running head to head. Last week they got a light tree and timing booth so I was kind of surprised when we arrived tonight. That added a little more pressure but what the hell. We did the best we could. The first race we went head to head. I blew my shift to third making my debut a little awkward. I did a 1, 2, 5 shift. Here is our first slip and the only head to head run between her and I.

Resized Image

These are our best overall times. I had some better reaction times but these were the fastest runs. Hers have the S. Mine have the T. Feel free to comment and offer constructive criticism. I did not win a single race tonight but most of our competition was in a different league. The closest I got was against a newer Mustang GT but he pulled away on my upshift to third. She won 1 or 2.

Resized Image

Future time slips I will post in the slip thread. It was lots of fun. I knew I was going to like it. She made 8 passes and I made 7. Rained around 9:30 so we packed it up at 10:15 and called it a day.
Posted on: 2009/9/26 3:47
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

pianoguy Re: Our first time at the drag strip. Be gentle .....
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Excellent! I wish I had a track nearby to give that a whirl - all the ones that were around here years ago closed up.
Posted on: 2009/9/26 4:25

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

TommyT-Bone Re: Our first time at the drag strip. Be gentle .....
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

This is only about 10 minutes away from the house. The previous closest run was 1 hour for 1/8 mile at CountyLine or 2 1/2 hours for 1/4 mile at Moroso Speedway in West Palm Beach now known as Palm Beach International Speedway. I've watched plenty. Just felt like putting the cars to good use.
Posted on: 2009/9/26 4:35

Matatk Re: Our first time at the drag strip. Be gentle .....
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22804 Posts

We've got a track pretty close to the house that does T&T for $25 in the summer. I'd like to make it out.

Most important thing was, did you enjoy yourself?

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/9/26 11:47

TommyT-Bone Re: Our first time at the drag strip. Be gentle .....
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
We've got a track pretty close to the house that does T&T for $25 in the summer. I'd like to make it out.

Most important thing was, did you enjoy yourself?

Matthew

Hell ya! What's not to enjoy? And they had a HCF at the starting line. Whoo Hoo!
Posted on: 2009/9/26 12:13

CSS996 Re: Our first time at the drag strip. Be gentle .....
Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

No shame, Tommy. You gots ta start somewhere! Your times will improve nicely next time, eh?

I've got a track just a few miles from the house. I used to go dirt bike riding on the land adjacent to it. I might have to go out there and embarrass myself one evening.

I gotta say, as much as I like the feel of the Hurst shifter in the Ruby, I believe I could actually shift faster with the stocker, even with the crazy long throw. At least with the stocker, I always hit the right gear. I've missed three or four shifts in casual to moderate street driving with the Hurst... Maybe I just suck at driving the car. Might help if I put more than 3,000 miles on it in a year... :silent:
Posted on: 2009/9/26 17:16

1Fast04Vert Re: Our first time at the drag strip. Be gentle .....
Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

I am really, really hoping tomorrow is good weather. A nearby club is having a Mustang vs Corvette drag race and show tomorrow and I love racing against 'Stangs, even though I own one of them too. My best time is an 8.55 and with the new injectors from FIC it feels a little quicker. I am anxious to find out if it really is.

Tommy - glad you took them to the track, just be careful as it can easily become addictive and expensive.
Posted on: 2009/9/26 17:35

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.